|Profession||Politician, Businessman (Agriculture)|
|Known for||Being elected as the Member of Legislative Assembly from Lambi constituency of Punjab by defeating SAD patron and five-time former CM Parkash Singh Badal in the 2022 Punjab assembly elections.|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.70 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 7”
|Hair Colour||Dark Brown|
|Political Party||Aam Aadmi Party
|Political Journey||• He joined Congress party in 2004.
• He then became the president of District Congress Committee, Muktsar, for five years.
• He was the covering candidate for Capt Amarinder Singh in 2017 from Lambi Assembly segment.
• In July 2021, he left the Congress party and joined the Aam Aadmi Party on the same day.
• In the 2022 Punjab Assembly Elections, he defeated five-time former CM Parkash Singh Badal with a huge margin and won from the Lambi constituency.
• On 31 May 2023, he was sworn-in as Punjab agriculture minister in the Bhagwant Mann cabinet. The Tribune
|Date of Birth||30 September 1962|
|Age (as of 2022)||60 Years|
|Birthplace||Vill. & P.O. Khudian, Gulab Singh, Tehsil-Muktsar, Punjab|
|School||Govt. High School, Khudian Gulab Singh, PSEB|
|College||DAV College, Malout Facebook|
|Controversy||In July 2021, he left Congress after being associated with the party for around 30 years. While leaving the party, he said,
"We were feeling ignored for long, thus took the step. Even Capt Amarinder Singh after contesting the Assembly election from Lambi in 2017 did not visit the place even once. Nobody heard our issues."
He joined Aam Aadmi Party on the same day he left Congress. The Tribune
|Relationships & More|
|Children||Son: Amit Singh|
|Parents||Father- Jagdev Singh Khudian (former MP)
Mother- Not Known
|Siblings||Brother: Harmeet Singh|
|Salary (approx.)||Nil News 18|
|Assets/Properties||Total declared assets are Rs 2.6 crore which includes Rs 28 lakh in moveable assets and Rs 2.3 crore as immoveable assets News 18
His cash balance shows Rs. 50,000. His cash at bank shows a balance of approx. Rs. 4 lakhs. His jewellery is estimated worth Rs. 1,35,000. He owns an agricultural land with a total area of 8 Acre and 5 Marla worth Rs. 1.20 crores approx and a residential building of 10800 sq. ft. total area which is worth Rs. 50 lakhs. His affidavit shows Rs. 20 lakh liability which is a bank loan.
Some Lesser Known Facts About Gurmeet Singh Khudian
- Gurmeet Singh Khudian is an Indian politician representing the Aam Aadmi Party who won the 2022 Punjab assembly elections from the Lambi constituency.
- Gurmeet emerged victorious in his maiden attempt at the assembly elections. His win contributed to the Aam Aadmi Party’s maiden victory in Punjab.
- He won with a huge margin of 11,396 votes by managing to get a total of 66,313 votes.
- He defeated the SAD patron and five-time former CM Parkash Singh Badal, who lost for the second time in his six-decade political career and stood second with a total of 54,917 votes. Badal has served the state as the chief minister from 1970 to 1971, 1977 to 1980, 1997 to 2002, and 2007 to 2017.
- The major players in the elections were Jagpal Singh Abulkhurana (Congress), Gurmeet Singh Khudian (Aam Aadmi Party), Parkash Singh Badal (Shiromani Akali Dal – Bahujan Samaj Party alliance), and Rakesh Dhingra (BJP’s alliance with former CM, Captain Amrinder Singh’s Punjab Lok Congress party).
- Gurmeet’s profession according to the election affidavit filed with the Election Commission is Agriculture. His wife is a homemaker.
- His father, Jagdev Singh Khudian, was elected Member Of Parliament from Faridkot Constituency in 1989. He was associated with Congress for a long time. A day after he took the oath as MP, he went missing suspiciously and his body was found 6 days later at Rajasthan Feeder Canal.
- Following his father’s track, Gurmeet too started associating with the Congress party. He joined Congress in 2004.
- He worked his way up to become the President of the District Congress Committee, Muktsar for five years.
- Reportedly, he was expecting the ticket from Congress for the 2017 elections to be a part of the race from the Lambi constituency. However, Captain Amrinder announced at the last minute to contest the elections himself. Khudian was left with the only option to apply for the nominations of the covering candidate.
- According to a media house, he was of the opinion that Captain Amrinder contested to make Badal win the elections. The word is that he believed that the CM did not follow sacrilege cases properly only to save the Badals.
- He was considered a strong candidate for the chairman’s post after the victory of Congress.
- After working for almost 2 decades in the Lambi constituency, he was denied the ticket from Congress.
- On 26 July 2021, he along with some loyal members from his party announced that they were leaving Congress by claiming that they felt ignored by the party. The Indian Express In an interview, he said,
We were feeling ignored for long, thus took the step. Even Capt Amarinder Singh after contesting the Assembly election from Lambi in 2017 did not visit the place even once. Nobody heard our issues.”
- On the same day, Khudian announced his entry into Aam Aadmi Party. He was declared candidate from assembly constituency No.83, Lambi, which is categorised as a rural seat in November in AAP’s second list. The Indian Express
- AAP’s CM candidate, Bhagwant Singh Mann also campaigned for Khudian before the elections took place. He said that Khudian’s family has faced many atrocities of the Badal family during their 10 years of the regime. He added that despite all things, the Khudian family has always stood by the people and this time the people of Lambi will teach the Badal family a lesson for all their atrocities and corruption.
- Upon winning Badal’s strong-held seat from Lambi, Gurmeet Singh said,
They have been playing fixed matches all these years and elections happened for the first time. Kejriwalji gave me ticket from Lambi as he knew that I could take the Badals head on.”
It is people’s victory. Youth has brought a new Inquilab. From the first day onwards, people walked along with me and supported me,”
- In an interview, Khudian’s nephew, Khushvir Singh said,
He has been working in Lambi constituency for more than two decades now but Congress always denied him ticket. For the first time he got ticket from AAP and he defeated senior Badal.”
- After the glorious win, Khudian celebrated with his family, friends and well-wishers. While celebrating in Dana Mandi, he stated that he believes in clean politics and said,
I don’t even want to remember Amarinder Singh, who believed in playing fixed match and now lost by 13,000 votes. Let’s talk about today and now. This victory is of the people of Lambi, who thought of badlaav and dared to make senior Badal lose. Badalji had a good fortune, he remained CM of Punjab for five times. I am a sewak of janta and I believe in clean politics. I believe that now Akal purakh blessed me too.”