|Profession(s)||Actor, Writer, Creative Director, Acting Coach|
|Famous Role||'Ashwin Mehta' in SonyLIV's web series 'Scam 1992: The Harshad Mehta Story'(2020)
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.70 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 7”
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Debut||Film (Actor): Kya Tum Ho (2006)
Film (Acting Coach): Mitron (2018)
TV (Acting Coach): India's Best Dramebaaz (2013)
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||Winner (2020): Gujarati Mid Day Award for Most Versatile Actor
|Date of Birth||17 December 1977 (Saturday)|
|Age (as of 2020)||43 Years|
|School||Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya|
|College/University||• The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, Gujarat
• National School of Drama, New Delhi
|Educational Qualification(s)||• BSc Chemistry from The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda YouTube
• Post Graduate diploma in Dramatics from National School of Drama (2000 – 2003) LinkedIn
|Hobbies||Playing Golf, Travelling|
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||2 February 2006 (Thursday)
|Children||Son- Shiv Kher
Daughter- Dhriti Kher
|Parents||Father- Ganpatsinh Hamirsinh Kher (School Teacher)
Mother- Name Not Known (School Teacher)
|Siblings||Sister- Sanvi Piludaria
Some Lesser Known Facts About Hemant Kher
- Hemant Kher is a National School of Drama alumnus who has also worked as an actor, writer, creative director, and acting coach in various movies and TV shows.
- Since childhood, he was a movie buff. He would collect the reels that were thrown away by cinema theatres and join them. He would then show the reels to his friends by projecting them on a white sheet with the help of a torch and a magnifying glass in a stable that was owned by his family.
- According to him, there used to be an extra period after school where he would entertain his friends by mimicking his teachers and other students. Hemant went on stage for the very first time in the third standard when he played the role of Shravan Kumar (a mythological character from the Indian epic ‘Ramayana) during an annual function. He instantly fell in love with the craft.
- Although Hemant desperately wanted to become an actor, he wasn’t able to find a suitable platform to pursue his dream; however, in twelfth standard, he accidentally came across a brochure of the National School of Drama that belonged to his teacher. After going through the brochure, he found out that to get admission in the NSD, he needed to complete his graduation.
- Hemant was very active on stage during his college years. He failed in the third year of his graduation, but he was happy that he got more time to do theatre in college.
- After completing his graduation, he applied for admission into NSD, but his efforts went in vain the first time; however, he succeeded when he applied for the second time. His experience at NSD was exuberant. He played the role of the protagonist in many plays while he was studying in NSD.
- After graduating from NSD, the Scam 1992 actor wanted to try his luck in the dream city Mumbai; however, his parents did not consider acting as a viable career option. In an interview, while talking about his journey of becoming an actor, he said,
I am from a farmer family background. My grandparents had a lot of debt so the income of parents mostly went into liquidation of those debts. So it was a very uneasy situation for me. I couldn’t ask my parents for money to survive in Mumbai. After passing from NSD, I came to Mumbai, tried to audition for as many roles.”
- After coming to Mumbai, Mr. Kher did a few small roles in a couple of movies and TV shows, but nothing earned him the recognition he desired. He debuted as a writer in 2006 with the reality TV show ‘Shabaash India’ that aired on Zee TV.
- In 2008, when he decided to pursue his dream of becoming an actor, he met with an accident that left him unfit for acting. It took him a lot of time to recover, and he went back to writing shows. He then worked as a writer on the shows ‘Sa Re Ga Ma Pa L’il Champs’ (2009), ‘Just Dance’ (2011-2012), ‘Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa’ (2012), and ‘Dil Deke Dekho’ (2016). He has also worked as a senior creative director at the RedDot Productions.
- Hemant has also worked as an acting coach for some popular Indian reality TV shows like ‘India’s Best Cinestars Ki Khoj’ and ‘India’s Best Dramebaaz’ in which he mentored the contestants for their respective performances.
- In 2016, Hemant got a job as an acting coach for the 2018 Bollywood film ‘Mitron’ where he worked with Bollywood actor Jackky Bhagnani. He has also assisted other prominent Indian celebrities like Hrithik Roshan, Ayushmann Khurrana, Kritika Kamra, and many more.
- He was also part of the acting workshop “JUST ACT” as a faculty, conducted by the famous casting director Mukesh Chhabra.
- Hemant’s breakthrough role came in the SonyLiv’s hit web series Scam 1992: The Harshad Mehta Story, directed by Hansal Mehta. He played the role of Ashwin Mehta, brother of stockbroker Harshad Metha. Ashwin assisted his brother in committing the 1992 stock market scam in India.
- He has also coached his Scam 1992 co-star Pratik Gandhi for his role of Harshad Mehta. In an interview, he said,
Ya! I have coached him, [but] not as an actor. But we have explored his character. It’s not that I taught him the ABC’s of acting. He is a great actor. The thing is that acting coaching is not about teaching someone acting. It is about helping them explore their characters. It is about helping them understand that there could be many more layers [to their character]. They know how to act. It’s just that a second perspective helps them understand if they’ve done it right.”
- Reportedly, Hemant received an offer from a filmmaker from LA in 2020. While discussing this in a media interaction, he said,
It’s a wonderful opportunity and I am still in talks with the producers. I have read the script. And it’s wonderful. I believe if converted into a cinematic experience it can create wonders. I can say that it’s an amazing opportunity and I would love to explore all facets of cinema be it in Bollywood or Hollywood.”
- Hemant is an avid animal lover. He has a pet dog named Barry.
- Hemant loves to ride horses.