Hometown: Ranchi, Jharkhand
Wife: Kalpana Soren
Age: 44 Years
|Famous For||• Being the 5th Chief Minister of Jharkhand
• Being the President of the Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM)
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 168 cm
in meters- 1.68 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 6”
|Political Party||Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM)
|Political Journey||• Contested the 2005 Jharkhand Assembly Elections, but he lost to Stephen Marandi.
• On 24 June 2009, he was elected as a member of the Rajya Sabha.
• On 4 January 2010, he resigned from the Rajya Sabha after being elected as an MLA from Jharkhand's Dumka constituency.
• In 2009, he was named as the working president of the JMM.
• On 11 September 2010, he was appointed as the Deputy Chief Minister of Jharkhand.
• On 13 July 2013, he was appointed as the 5th Chief Minister of Jharkhand.
• On 23 December 2014, he was elected as an MLA from the Barhait Assembly Constituency.
• On 8 January 2015, he was named as the Leader of Opposition after BJP got a majority in the 2014 Jharkhand Assembly Elections.
• On 23 December 2019, he was elected as an MLA from the Barhait Assembly seat in the Jharkhand Assembly Elections.
• On 29 December 2019, he took oath as the 11th Chief Minister of Jharkhand.
|Biggest Rival||Raghubar Das|
|Date of Birth||10 August 1975 (Sunday)|
|Age (as in 2019)||44 Years|
|Birthplace||Nemra, Ramgarh District, Bihar (Now Jharkhand)|
|School||Patna High School, Patna, Bihar India TV|
|College/University||Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, Ranchi, Jharkhand (left midway) Bihar Prabha|
|Educational Qualification||12th standard|
|Caste||Scheduled Tribe (ST) Hindustan Times|
|Address||House No. B-63, Harmu Housing Colony, Ashok Nagar, Ranchi, Jharkhand|
|Hobbies||Cooking, Playing and Watching Sports (Cricket, Badminton, and Table-Tennis)|
|Controversy||In 2017, Jharkhand CM Raghubar Das had invited Hemant to the "Jharkhand Global Investor Summit (GIS)." However, Hemant declined the invitation saying- "The summit is a "Maha Chintan Shivir of land grabbers and it is being organised to loot the land of Adivasis, Moolvasis and the farmers of the state."|
|Relationships & More|
|Wife/Spouse||Kalpana Soren (Businesswoman)
|Children||Hemant Soren has two sons.
|Parents||Father- Shibu Soren (Politician)
Mother- Roopi Soren (Agriculturist)
• Durga Soren (Elder; Deceased)
• Basant Soren (Younger; Businessman)
Sister- Anjali Soren (Younger; Politician)
|Car Collection||Tata Safari (2017 Model)
|Assets/Properties (as in 2019) MyNeta||Cash: 25.13 lacs INR
Bank Deposits: 31.31 lacs INR
Bonds & Shares: 4.82 lacs INR
Non-Agricultural Land: worth 20 lacs INR in Bokaro, Jharkhand
Non-Agricultural Land: worth 2 Lacs INR Angara, Ranchi
Residential Building: worth 75 lacs INR in Bokaro, Jharkhand
|Salary (approx.)||2.72 lacs INR per month (as Jharkhand CM) Wikipedia|
|Net Worth (approx.)||8.51 crores INR (as in 2019) MyNeta|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Hemant Soren
- Hemant Soren is the president of the Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) and the 11th Chief Minister of Jharkhand. He is the son of veteran politician, Shibu Soren.
- His father, Shibu Soren is a former Union Cabinet Minister and a 3-time Jharkhand Chief Minister.
- Soren is an ardent follower of the 19th-century tribal freedom fighter and leader “Birsa Munda.” He takes inspiration from Munda for courage and valour.
- He is very tech-savvy, and he loves to explore different types of electronic gadgets. He also loves handheld gadgets such as the iPad.
- Once, in an interview, he said-
Not many people know this but I love to cook during my free time as it is a great stressbuster”
- In 2009, he was pushed into the senior JMM leadership, after the sudden death of his elder brother, Durga, due to brain haemorrhage. Earlier, Durga was supposed to be Shibu Soren’s political successor. However, Durga’s death brought Hemant into the limelight.
- On 13 July 2013, he became Jharkhand’s fifth and youngest Chief Minister at the age of 38.
- In January 2019, he held talks with the Congress Party, Jharkhand Vikas Morcha-Prajatantrik (JVM-P), and Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) and formed the first Mahagathbandhan (grand alliance) of Jharkhand to contest against the BJP in the 2019 Jharkhand Assembly Elections.
- His reputation as the lone tribal leader of Jharkhand grew when he was the Leader of Opposition. He supported the rights of the tribals, and he was quite vocal about his protests against the policies, which would have caused the tribals to suffer.
- He had protested against the Direct Benefit Transfer in PDS. He had also voiced his opinion on how the scheme was causing tremendous suffering and injustice to the people of Jharkhand.
- During the campaigning of the 2019 Jharkhand Elections, Soren was projected as the Chief Ministerial candidate of the JMM-Congress-RJD Mahagathbandhan.
- While campaigning for the Jharkhand Elections, he led a protest against the amendments, which were being proposed for the “pro-tribal tenancy laws.” He supported 70,000 temporary teachers for regularization, and he also opposed Raghubar Das (Jharkhand CM) on the merger of government schools, and he also criticized the government over retail liquor sales.
- On 29 December 2019, Hemant Soren was sworn-in as the 11th Chief Minister of Jharkhand.