Hometown: Surat, Gujarat
Wife: Ayesha I Darbar
Age: 59 Years
|Profession(s)||Music Composer, Musician, Singer, Music Director|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 173 cm
in meters- 1.73 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 8”
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper (dyed black)|
|Debut||Film (Hindi; As a Music Director): Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam (1999)
Film (Telugu; As a Music Director): Vishnu (2003)
Film (Kannada; As a Music Director): Santheyalli Nintha Kabira (2016)
Film (Hindi; As a Film Director): Yeh Kaisa Tigdam (2018)
|Awards & Honours||• 1999: RD Burman Award for Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam
• 2000: National Film Award for Best Music Direction for Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam
• 2002: Screen Award for Best Music Director for Devdas
• 2019: India’s Greatest Brands & Leaders Award
• 2021: Worlds Amazing Talent
• 2021: Panache Image Award
|Date of Birth||1 June 1964 (Monday)|
|Age (as of 2023)||59 Years|
|School||Savar Cantonment Public School and College, Savar, Bangladesh|
|Educational Qualification||Class 7 dropout YouTube – Devang Bhatt|
|Religion||Islam Instagram – Ismail Darbar|
|Food Habit||Non-Vegetarian Instagram – Ismail Darbar|
|Controversies||• Problems with A.R. Rahman
In 2011, Ismail Darbar accused the Indian music director A. R. Rahman that Rahman's Oscar for Best Original Score in the film ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ was bought by himand was not well deserved. In an interview, Ismail said,
"Kaam ke saath beimaani toh mat karo yaar. Agar maine bola hai, toh bola hai. Jab se maine Rahman ka PR dekha aur music se door usse paaya, tab se mujhe usse chidd aagayi. Pehle main usse chahta tha kyunki lagta tha iss aadmi mein kuch baat hai, alag sochta hai. Lekin jab maalum pada ke yeh PR mein laga pada hai, ke kaise Oscar milna chahiye kaise Grammy milna chahiye, uske alawa usse aur kuch samajh nahi aa raha hai. Aur aap dekhiye uska kaam gadbad ho raha hai.”
"I said what I said. When I noticed that Rahman was spending more time on PR than on his craft, I began to get annoyed by him. I used to like him initially, I thought that he was unique. But when I saw that he was only scheming about how to win Oscars and make waves abroad, I noticed that his work was suffering).”
Later, he changed his statement and shared that Rahman was a close friend of him. He even apologised for his comments. In contrast, Rahman refuted all such allegations and openly stated that he had no intentions of pursuing any legal action against Ismail. The Indian Express
• Physical Violence with Assistant Music Director
On 2 February 2015, Ismail Darbar, his son Zaid Darbar, and two others named Nishant Singh and Mohsin Khan went in a legal trouble in Mumbai. They were arrested on charges of physically assaulting an assistant director named Prashamit Chaudhury. The incident took place when Chaudhury requested for his long-overdue salary, which Ismail Darbar allegedly refused to pay. The Amboli police identified Darbar, Zaid, Nishant Singh and Mohsin Khan as the accused in this case. In his official complaint (FIR), Chaudhury said that four individuals arrived at his residence on New Link Road. They took hockey sticks and attacked him. Chaudhury mentioned that he had been attempting to contact Darbar regarding his unpaid salary, but Ismail had been unresponsive to his calls. In an interview Chaudhary said,
"First, Zaid came to my house and asked me to come with him, claiming that the money was in the car. I went with him, accompanied by a friend. In the parking lot, Darbar and some other men began assaulting me with hockey sticks."
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||Second Marriage- 18 August 2005
|Wife/Spouse||• First Wife- Farzana Shaikh
• Second Wife- Ayesha I. Darbar (singer)
• Zaid Darbar (dancer, choreographer) (from his first wife)
• Awez Darbar (dancer, choreographer) (from his first wife)
• Imaan Darbar (from his second wife)
• Moonzarin Darbar (from his first wife)
• Anam Darbar (a social media influencer) (from his first wife)
|Parents||Father- Janab Ahmed Darbar (saxophone player)
Mother- Jaitunbibi Darbar
|Film Director||Sanjay Leela Bhansali|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Ismail Darbar
- Ismail Darbar is an Indian film music composer, musician, singer, and music director. He received the National Award for the Hindi film ‘Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam’ in 1999.
- When he was a kid, his father told him that he needed to stop playing games and start practising music. However, he really liked playing games with his friends and didn’t enjoy studying. So, after he dropped out of school, he went to Mumbai with his father. When he was 13 years old, he did his training in acting and music under Ram Prasad Sharma, father of Laxmikant Pyarelal. He trained under him for around 12 years.
- At the beginning of his career, he worked as a violinist for various popular Indian music directors like Laxmikant-Pyarelal, Kalyanji-Anandji, Anand–Milind, Nadeem–Shravan, Jatin–Lalit, and A. R. Rahman.
- In 1996, he worked as a violinist in the Hindi film ‘Khamoshi: The Musical.’
- He directed music for various Hindi films like ‘Devdas’ (2002), ‘Kisna: The Warrior Poet’ (2005), ‘Kaanchi’ (2013), and ‘Gurudakshina’ (2014).
- In 2002, after the release of the Hindi film ‘Devdas,’ he had a disagreement with the Indian film director Sanjay Leela Bhansali. It was said that their difference of opinions and egos led to a heated argument, after which they did not work with each other. Later, they cleared their issues.
- He has worked as a judge in various Hindi reality TV shows such as Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Challenge (2005 and 2007; Zee TV), Amul Star Voice of India 2 (2008; Star Plus), Bharat Ki Shaan: Singing Star – Season 2 (2019; DD National), and The War of Talent (2021; MX Player).
- He has also appeared in Hindi music videos Rasiya Saajan (2007) and I Bow to thee O Mother (2020).
- In 2009, he participated in the Colors reality TV show ‘Bigg Boss.’
- In 2011, some media houses said that he became a part of the BJP in Gujarat. However, when Darbar was questioned about entering politics, he clarified that these reports were wrong. He did not join a political party, but if he ever got a chance, he would join the BJP in Gujarat. His family came from Surat, and he wanted to help the people there. He thought that the BJP was the only party doing good things in Gujarat. On 18 December 2009, he started a company called Darbar Dreams Production Private Limited (DDPPL) in Mumbai.
- In 2013, he worked as a music director for the Star Plus mythological series ‘Mahabharat.’
- He enjoys travelling to different places in his free time.