|Profession||Civil Servant (IAS)|
|Famous For||Being the spokesperson of the Health Ministry to brief the country about the status of COVID-19 in India
|Service||Indian Administrative Service (IAS)|
|Major Designation(s)||• Assistant Collector: Krishna district, Andhra Pradesh (20/06/1997 – 01/06/1998)
• Assistant Collector: Bhadrachalam district, Andhra Pradesh (01/08/1998 – 21/06/2000)
• Project Director: Rural Development, Medak district, Andhra Pradesh (22/06/2000 – 08/07/2002)
• Jt Collector: Medak, Andhra Pradesh (08/07/2002 – 15/07/2003)
• Jt Collector: Nellore, Andhra Pradesh (16/07/2003 – 09/11/2003)
• Jt Chief Electoral Officer: State Election Commission, Andhra Pradesh (10/11/2003 – 15/06/2004)
• Deputy Secretary: Chief Minister’s Sectt, Andhra Pradesh (15/06/2004 – 31/12/2004)
• Joint Secretary: Chief Minister’s Sectt, Andhra Pradesh (01/01/2005 – 26/05/2005)
• Collector & D. M.: West Godavari, Andhra Pradesh (26/05/2005 – 29/05/2007)
• Chairman & M. D.: Eastern Power Distribution Co Ltd (EPDCL) Vishakapatnam, Andhra Pradesh (29/05/2007 – 23/03/2008)
• Director: Education Deptt, Andhra Pradesh (23/03/2008 – 14/06/2011)
• Collector & D. M.: Vishakapatnam, Andhra Pradesh (14/06/2011 – 25/09/2012)
• Secretary: Youth Affairs, Tourism & Culture Deptt, Andhra Pradesh (25/09/2012 – 18/01/2015)
• Commissioner: Health & Family Welfare, Andhra Pradesh (18/01/2015 – 21/02/2016)
• Chief Executive Officer: Arogya Sri Health Care Trust (Health & Family Welfare), Andhra Pradesh (18/01/2015 – 21/02/2016)
• Director: Revenue & Disaster Management Deptt, Andhra Pradesh (27/05/2016 – 22/08/2016)
• Commissioner/Director: Disaster Management, Andhra Pradesh (27/05/2016 – 29/08/2016)
• Joint Secretary: M/o Health & Family Welfare D/o Health & Family Welfare, Government of India (29/08/2016 – 28/08/2021)
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.70 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 7”
|Date of Birth||19 February 1972 (Saturday) Supremo|
|Age (as in 2020)||48 Years|
|Birthplace||Saharanpur, Uttar Pradesh|
|Hometown||Saharanpur, Uttar Pradesh|
|College/University||Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi|
|Educational Qualification||B.Tech. (Mechanical Engineering) Supremo|
|Caste||Vaishya (Bania) Facebook|
|Hobbies||Photography, Doing Yoga|
|Relationships & More|
|Wife/Spouse||Name Not Known
|Children||There is not much information about his children.
|Parents||Father- K. G. Agarwal (Chartered Accountant)
Mother- Name Not Known
|Salary (as Joint Secretary at M/o Health & Family Welfare )||Rs. 218,200 Report of the 7th Central Pay Commission of India|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Lav Agarwal
- Lav Agarwal is an Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer who is best known for briefing the media about the status of COVID-19 in India at the National Media Centre in Delhi.
- On attaining a celebrity type status amid this COVID-19, one of his colleagues in the Health Ministry says –
Every crisis has a hero, and COVID has made Lav one.”
- He was born in a middle-class Agarwal family of Saharanpur, Uttar Pradesh.
- His father, K. G. Agarwal is a renowned Chartered Accountant in Saharanpur who has been in the profession for more than 45 years.
- Since his childhood, Lav was excellent at studies and after his schooling, he got himself enrolled at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi in 1989. He graduated from IIT Delhi in 1993 with a degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- After his B.Tech. in Mechanical Engineering, Lav Agarwal started preparing for the UPSC Examination that he cleared in 1996 and became an IAS officer of Andhra Pradesh cadre.
- After completing his training, he got his first posting as the Assitant Collector of Krishna district in Andhra Pradesh. Thereafter, he went on to serve the Andhra Pradesh Government in different capacities, such as Jt Chief Electoral Officer, Collector & D. M. (West Godavari), Collector & D. M. (Vishakapatnam), and Commissioner/Director (Disaster Management Andhra Pradesh).
- After his request, the centre government invited him on deputation where he joined as the Joint Secretary in M/o Health & Family Welfare D/o Health & Family Welfare for a period of five years (from 29 August 2016 to 28 August 2021).
- Mr. Agarwal is considered a meek and unassuming civil servant who is known for his gentle and tranquil communication strategies.
- In February 2019, Lav Agarwal successfully hosted the delegates & attendees at the 4th Global Digital Health Partnership Summit in New Delhi.
- Mr. Agarwal has been the face of India in many international forums for health, including the U.S.-India Health Dialogue in March 2019 where he diligently focussed on biomedical research, infectious diseases, and new health technologies.
- Amid the nationwide lockdown in wake of Corona outbreak, his everyday TV appearance to brief the country about COVID-19 has become a must-watch in India. The way he communicates about the rate of infection, protective equipment, and the rate of testing is like an assurance to the citizens of India who have been experiencing a house-arrest-type situation in this lockdown for a long time.
- When the Modi Government entrusted him and appointed him the spokesperson of M/o Health & Family Welfare, he left no stone unturned, and his colleagues say that Mr. Agarwal spends nearly 15-16 hours per day in the office. One such colleague of Lav Agarwal said in an interview that –
He goes home only to catch some sleep these days. He is in office till very late and usually among the earliest to be in the office in the mornings.”
- Amid this busy schedule, he does lots of exercise and yoga to stay fit and calm. The New Indian Express
- He is so modest and reticent that when he was reached to comment on his overnight stardom as a civil servant, he replied –
I would insist that please don’t write about me. I don’t want to come in any news at all. I am only doing my job and come to news briefing as part of my job. If you wish to write, please write about health staff working on field who are taking all the risks and doing yeoman service.”
- Whenever he finds time amid his tight schedule, he loved to do photography, and his colleagues often quote him as a professional photographer.
- When his father, K. G. Agarwal was approached for a comment on the celebrity status of his son, he said,
He keeps telling me that he is just doing his duty…That so much media attention is unwarranted.”
- While talking about Lav Agarwal’s reticence and unapproachable trait, one of his colleagues says –
He takes time to trust people but he is passionate, committed to win and very target-oriented.”
- In Mr. Agarwal’s praise, Anil Swarup, a retired bureaucrat, says –
I have watched some of the briefings so far and I would say that as a mid-rung officer Agarwal has shown remarkable maturity in handling the situation. I am happy that the government has assigned the bright bureaucrat such a crucial responsibility.”