Madhuri Kanitkar Age, Husband, Children, Family, Biography & More
Hometown: Dharwad, Karnataka
Marital Status: Married
Husband: Rajeev Kanitkar
|Famous Role||3rd woman to hold Lieutenant General rank|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 162 cm
in meters- 1.62 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 3”
|Years of Service||1983-present|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• Vishisht Seva Medal in 2014
• Ati Vishisht Seva Medal in 2018
|Date of Birth||15 October 1960|
|Age (as of 2020)||60 Years|
|University||Armed Forces Medical College, Pune|
|Educational Qualification||• MBBS Femina
• Doctor of Medicine degree in Pediatrics
• Training in Pediatric Nephrology
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||16 November 1982|
|Husband||Rajeev Kanitkar (Retired Lieutenant General)
|Children||Son: Nikhil Kanitkar (Entrepreneur)
Daughter: Vibhuti Kanitkar (UX Designer)
|Parents||Father- Chandrakant Gopalrao Khot
Mother- Hemalata Chandrakant Khot
|Siblings||Sister: Nilima Kadambi, Rashmi Haritwal
|Salary (approx.)||Rs. 1.8 lakhs to Rs. 2.24 lakhs SSBCrack|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Madhuri Kanitkar
- Lt. General (Dr) Madhuri Kanitkar is a General Officer in the Indian Army who serves as the Deputy Chief of Integrated Defence Staff (Medical) under the Chief of Defence Staff. She has been awarded the decoration medal of Vishisht Seva Medal (VSM) and Ati Vishisht Seva Medal (AVSM) for her service.
- Madhuri Kanitkar is the third woman appointed with the Indian Armed Forces to be promoted to a three-star rank i.e. Lieutenant General. The two women before her are- Lieutenant General Punita Arora and Air Marshal Padma Bandopadhyay.
- Madhuri Kanitkar got married to Rajeev Kanitkar who is a retired Lieutenant General who served as the Quartermaster General of the Indian Army. They are the first couple in the history of the Indian Armed Forces to achieve the three-star rank.
- Madhuri was born into a family with a medical background as both her grandparents were doctors. She was inspired by them and decided to join the Armed Forces Medical College, Pune in 1978. In 1990, she completed her post-graduation receiving the Doctor of Medicine degree in Pediatrics.
- Madhuri Kanitkar also took training in Pediatric Nephrology from the All Indian Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi. She completed her fellowships at the National University Hospital, Singapore, and the Great Ormond Street Hospital, London.
- Madhuri then served at her alma-mater Armed Forces Medical College, Pune as the associate professor, professor, and then Head of Department of Pediatrics. She also worked as a professor at the Army College of Medical Sciences. She formed the first Pediatric Nephrology service in the Army Medical Corps and she was appointed as the President of The Indian Society of Pediatric Nephrology.
- Madhuri Kanitkar is the first woman pediatrician to reach this rank in the Indian Army Doctors and she is a part of the Prime Minister’s STIAC (S&T) Innovation Advisory Committee. She was appointed as the Dean and Deputy Commandant of the Armed Forces Medical College on 28 January 2017.
- Madhuri was posted in Pathankot in 1999 and she served during the Kargil War. She decided to go on a trip with her family to Singapore. At that time, her husband was posted in Hisar, she was posted in Pathankot, and her children were staying in Pune with their grandparents. Two days before the trip, both of them were called back to serve during the Kargil War.
- Madhuri has served for more than 37 years in the Army and she got promoted to the rank of Lieutenant General on 29 February 2020. The confirmation of the promotion was a huge surprise for her and she was in Delhi when she got to know about this for some official meeting. Rajeev Kanitkar, her husband has been supportive of her decisions and career and he reached Delhi after boarding the night train with her uniform and other official documents. She wore her husband’s cap during the piping ceremony.
- In the army protocol, the serving senior officer sits on the left in the three-star flag-bearing car and the spouse sits on the right. Now the roles have reversed as Madhuri sits on the left and her husband, Rajeev sits on the right.
- Madhuri Kanitkar featured on the cover of the Femina magazine’s August 2020 issue. The cover of the magazine had Madhuri Kanitkar, Alisha Abdullah (champion racing driver), and Harmanpreet Kaur (captain of Indian women’s ODI/T20 cricket teams).
- In her leisure time, Madhuri likes to play golf and horse-riding. She tries to stay fit and maintain a healthy lifestyle and she manages to slow-pace run 10km at a stretch.
- Gen Kanitkar has been awarded the GOC-in-C Commendation Card and has been awarded the Chief of the Army Staff Commendation Card five times.
- Madhuri Kanitkar and Rajeev Kanitkar are the definitions of a power couple as not only were they lieutenant generals in the armed forces but they both won the President Gold Medal. Madhuri won the medal for standing first in her batch at Armed Forces Medical College and her husband, Rajeev Kanitkar, won the medal for being at the top of his batch at the National Defence Academy.