Nationality: Antigua And Barbudan
Marital Status: Married
Age: 62 Years
|Full Name||Mehul Chinubhai Choksi|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 165 cm
in meters- 1.65 m
in feet inches- 5’ 5”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 120 kg
in pounds- 265 lbs
|Date of Birth||5 May 1959|
|Age (as of 2021)||62 Years|
|Birthplace||Bombay, India (now Mumbai)|
|Nationality||Antigua and Barbudan (2017-present)|
|College/University||The University of Mumbai|
|Educational Qualification||College dropout|
|Family||Father- Chinubhai Choksi (a diamond trader)
Mother- Name Not Known
Brother- Not Known
Sister- Not Known
|Address||Jolly Harbour Marks, Antigua|
|Controversy||In February 2018, Choksi and Nirav Modi were summoned under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) in the more than ₹11,400 crore alleged fraud in Punjab National Bank (PNB). On 16 January 2018, PNB said the accused firms came with a set of documents to its Mumbai branch and requested buyers' credit to pay overseas suppliers, and when the branch officials asked them to come with full amount as collateral so that the bank could issue letters of undertaking" (LoUs), they said that they had used such facilities in the past without any collateral. To this, the bank scanned through records and found no trace of any transactions. On further investigation, PNB found that bank's 2 junior employees had issued LOUs on the SWIFT interbank messaging system (used for international transactions) without entering the transactions on the bank's own system. Such transactions went on for years without detection. In late May 2021, it was reported that he had gone missing from Antigua and Barbuda. On 26 May 2021, he was spotted in a nearby Caribbean country of Dominica, where he was arrested by the local police; reportedly, he was trying to flee to Cuba by a boat. The Indian Express|
|Relationships & More|
|Wife/Spouse||Name Not Known
Daughters- Priyanka & 1 more
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 125 billion (Revenue of Gitanjali Group; as of 2018)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Mehul Choksi
- Does Mehul Choksi smoke?: Not Known
- Does Mehul Choksi drink alcohol?: Not Known
- He is the maternal uncle of Nirav Modi, a billionaire diamond merchant, and the main culprit in the more than ₹11,400 crores alleged fraud in Punjab National Bank (PNB).
- In 1975, he joined his father’s business firm Gitanjali Gems.
- In 1985, Choksi took over Gitanjali Gems from his father, Chinubhai Choksi.
- When he took over Gitanjali Gems, the company’s turnover was roughly ₹50 crore.
- Before taking over the reins of the company, during the daytime, he used to attend the college, and in the evening, learn the tricks of the trade from his father.
- In an interview, Choksi revealed that when he was a teenager, he wanted to “become the world’s largest luxury player in branded jewellery.”
- Soon, Choksi became successful in entering the international market and turned towards building a product-portfolio that resulted in the coming out of brands such as Nakshatra, Gili, D’damas, Asmi, Diya, Maya, Sangini, etc.
- He has also served as a Director of Verite Co., Ltd.
- After that, Choksi served as a Director of Gitanjali Exports Corporation Ltd., Gili India Limited, MMTC Gitanjali Private Limited, and Modali Gems Pvt. Ltd.
- On 21 August 1998, he became a Director at Gitanjali Gems Ltd.
- He has also served as the Chairman of Gitanjali
- In 2006, he acquired Samuel Jewelers Inc and the 111 high-end stores and managed to get direct access to the US retail market.
- In 2006, he also launched the company’s IPO.
- On 1 August 2007, Choksi became the Managing Director of Gitanjali Gems Ltd.
- Since 1 October 2016, Choksi has been Managing Director of Nakshatra World Limited (alternate name, Gitanjali Brands Limited).
- As of now, the company has more than 4,000 points of sale across the world.
- Choksi and his Company is famous to host high profile guests, mostly Bollywood actors.
- According to reports, his clothes come stitched from Hong Kong with his initials embroidered on them.
- Choksi is considered the largest integrated diamond jewelry retailer in India and is aiming to be the world’s biggest jewelry retailer, growing bigger than Tiffany.
- In February 2018, Mehul Choksi and Nirav Modi came under the scanner of various investigating agencies, following the Enforcement Directorate (ED) filing a case against them for conducting fraudulent transactions from the Punjab National Bank. However, Choksi’s company, Gitanjali Gems, said that their Managing Director had been falsely implicated.
- Choksi has reportedly been a partner to Nirav Modi’s 3 companies (‘Diamonds R Us’, ‘Stellar Diamonds’ and ‘Solar Exports’), which are being scanned by the investigating agencies.