Lakshya Sen Height, Age, Family, Biography & More
|Famous for||Being the youngest player to qualify the 2022 All England Open|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 178 cm
in meters- 1.78 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 10”
|Body Measurements (approx.)||- Chest: 40 Inches
- Waist: 32 Inches
- Biceps: 12 Inches
|Debut||In 2016 in Badminton Asia Junior Championships held in Bangkok, Thailand.|
|Medals||• He won a bronze medal at Junior Asian Championship in 2016.
• He won the men's singles title at the India International Series.
• In February 2017, he was ranked number one junior singles player in BWF World Junior ranking.
• In 2018, he won the bronze medal at the Junior World Championship.
• In 2018, he won gold medals at the 2018 Asian Junior Championships in the boys' singles and at the Summer Youth Olympics in the mixed team event.
• In 2019, he won the men's singles at Dutch Open.
• In November 2019, he won the SaarLorLux Open.
• In November 2019, he won the men's singles title in the 2019 Scottish Open.
• In 2020, he was the member of the Indian team that won the 2020 Badminton Asia Team Championships.
• In December 2021, he won a bronze medal at World Championships.
• In 2022, he reached the finals of the 2022 All England Open.
• He won gold in Men's singles at the 2022 Birmingham Commonwealth Games.
|Date of Birth||16 August 2001 (Thursday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||21 Years|
|School||Beersheba Senior Secondary School, Haldwani, Uttarakhand|
|College/University||Prakash Padukone Badminton Academy, Bengaluru|
|Controversy||On 1 December 2022, Bengaluru police booked him after a person, who runs a badminton academy in Bengaluru, accused him of falsifying his age. A local court also directed police to investigate the allegation against Lakshya Sen. Apart from Lakshya Sen, police also named his coach Vimal Kumar, father, Dhirendra Sen, brother Chirag Sen, and mother, Nirmala Sen, in the FIR. In his complaint Nagaraja MG claimed that his coach colluded with Sen’s parents to forge a birth certificate in 2010 to allow him to participate in age-restricted tournaments. According to records, Sen was born in 2001; however, according to Nagaraja, he was born in 1998. The Indian Express|
|Relationships & More|
|Parents||Father- Dhirendra K Sen (badminton coach)
Mother- Nirmala Dhirendra Sen (teacher)
|Siblings||Brother- Chirag Sen (International Badminton Player)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Lakshya Sen
- Lakshya Sen is an Indian badminton player who is known for becoming the youngest player to qualify All England Open Badminton tournament in 2022.
- When he was ten years old, he got admission to Prakash Padukone Badminton Academy (PPBA) with his brother, Chirag. In an interview, Lakshya’s father talked about his admission to the academy and said,
In 2010 he was 9-9.5 years old and there was a tournament for the Under-13 age group category in Bangalore and we went there to take part in it. Since he was a kid I thought he won’t be eligible but I requested Vimal sir and he was really impressed with him. It was during the final stage when the progress actually happened. His elder brother, who was also taking part won the tournament so Prakash sir interacted with us and offered help.”
- In 2011, when he was ten years old, he won a tournament in Singapore.
- When he was twelve years old, he gave an interview, in which he said that when he grew up, he wanted to play in Olympics.
- In 2014, when Saina Nehwal shifted to Bangalore, she used to practice with the students at Prakash Padukone Badminton Academy, Bengaluru. Lakshya also got a chance to practice with Saina. In an interview, Vimal Kumar, Lakshya’s coach said that Lakshya was the only student in the academy who used to beat Saina during the practice sessions.
- In 2018, he posted a picture on Instagram in which he was seen shaking hands with Prime Minister Narendra Modi after winning the Youth Olympics.
- In August 2021, he did not get selected for the Indian badminton team as he lost in the first round of selection trials due to a stomach infection.
- On 19 March 2022, he became the fifth Indian after Prakash Nath (1947), Prakash Padukone (1980, 1981), Pullela Gopichand (2001), and Saina Nehwal (2015) to reach the All England Badminton Championships 2022. In All England Badminton Championships 2022, Lakshya bagged a silver medal. He received a lot of appreciation from Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Gandhi and MP of Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh, Anurag Thakur. Before the All England Badminton Championships 2022, Sen got a chance to train with Viktor Axelsen in Dubai.
There are no failures in life. You either win or you learn. I am sure you've learnt so much from this amazing experience, @lakshya_sen.
Wish you the very best for upcoming tournaments. #AllEngland2022
— Sachin Tendulkar (@sachin_rt) March 20, 2022
- Reportedly, during the initial days of his career, he used to cry after losing a match, but with time he learnt how to be composed. In an interview, he talked about the changes in the game from 2017 to 2020 and said,
Compared to my junior days I am a little more patient. Trying to rally more. I need to improve this more for sure, but there are a lot more things to learn, but from then to now, it is a difference in my game. That I make the effort to play better strokes from the back, not just go all out with smashes… trying to build up a point. In the senior circuit, everyone is fit and the shuttle keeps coming back. You have to play long rallies, long matches. Preparing for that, I have improved my fitness.”
- In 2022, he was featured in Forbes India 30 Under 30.
- He is an avid dog lover and often posts pictures of them on social media.
|↑1||The Indian Express|