|Full Name||Nirav Deepak Modi|
|Profession||Businessman (Jewellery Designer)|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 168 cm
in meters- 1.68 m
in feet inches- 5’ 6”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 65 kg
in pounds- 143 lbs
|Hair Colour||Black (semi-bald)|
|Date of Birth||27 February 1971|
|Age (as in 2018)||47 Years|
|Birth Place||Antwerp, Belgium|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Pisces|
|Hometown||Palanpur, Banaskantha, Gujarat, India|
|College||The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, USA|
|Educational Qualification||College Drop Out|
|Family||Father- Deepak Keshavlal Modi (Jeweller)
Mother- Name Not Known
Brother- Neeshal Modi
Sister- Not Known
Maternal Uncle- Mehul Choksi
Grandfather- Keshavlal Modi
|Hobbies||Reading, Painting & Travelling|
|Controversy||In February 2018, Choksi and Nirav Modi were summoned under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) in the more than ₹11,400 crore alleged fraud in Punjab National Bank (PNB). On 16 January 2018, PNB said the accused firms came with a set of documents to its Mumbai branch and requested buyers' credit to pay overseas suppliers, and when the branch officials asked them to come with full amount as collateral so that the bank could issue letters of undertaking" (LoUs), they said that they had used such facilities in the past without any collateral. To this, the bank scanned through records and found no trace of any transactions. On further investigation, PNB found that bank's 2 junior employees had issued LOUs on the SWIFT interbank messaging system (used for international transactions) without entering the transactions on the bank's own system. Such transactions went on for years without detection.|
|Favourite Actresses||Priyanka Chopra, Kate Winslet, Dakota Johnson, Jacqueline Fernandez, Sonam Kapoor, Amy Adams|
|Favourite Colour(s)||Black, White, Blue, Pink|
|Favourite Watches||Swatch Trésor Magique, IWC Novecento, Vacheron Constantin Malte tourbillon, Rolex platinum|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
Daughters- Apasha and Ananya
|Car Collection(s)||One Rolls Royce Ghost, Two Mercedes Benz GL class, One Porsche Panamera, Three high-end Honda cars, One Toyota Fortuner, One Bentley
|Yearly Turnover (approx.)||₹20,000 crore|
|Net Worth (approx.)||$1.76 billion/ ₹11,000 crores|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Nirav Modi
- Does Nirav Modi smoke?: No
- Does Nirav Modi drink alcohol?: Yes
- Nirav Modi was born into a Gujarati Family in Antwerp city of Belgium.
- In the early 1940s, his father moved to Belgium to expand his diamond business in the country, which has always been famous for its diamonds.
- His father was a traditional diamond jeweller and his mother was into a profession of interior decor.
- His family has been dealing with Diamonds and Jewellery for around seven generations.
- His maternal uncle Mehul Choksi is also a famous face in the jewellery business. He is the CEO and Managing Director of the world’s largest jewellery retailer company, Gitanjali Gems.
- At the age of 19, he dropped out his college and came to India to work with his uncle, Mehul Choksi. He worked there for about 10 years.
- In 1999, he started his own jewellery firm, Firestar Diamond International, which dealt with buying and selling of diamonds.
- In 2005 & 2007, he purchased two jewellery distribution and marketing firms, Sandberg & Sikorsky and one more (Name Not Known) from his US friend Fredrick Goldman that helped in setting up his base in the United States of America.
- In 2010, he had designed a masterpiece necklace, The Nirav Modi’s Golconda necklace,’ which brought him to seven skies of the success and was sold for 16.29 crore rupees in Christy’s auction.
- He had his stores in around 16 countries such as Hong-Kong, Japan, Britain, USA, India, and many more.
- His store launch in New York, USA had gained lot of attention to the worldwide media. Here are some glimpses of his store launch.
- On 28 January 2018, Punjab National Bank filed an FIR against him regarding a scam, which accounted around 11,400 crore rupees. As per the report, few employees of Punjab National Bank had issued a Letter of Undertaking (LoU) by Nirav’s name using which a person could make an international purchase and the amount will be paid by the bank up to certain period (three months), which has issued the LoU to the person, considering one’s credit. Here in the case, Nirav Modi has taken this LoU and made various purchases including Rough Diamonds, Which were actually not done and the amount went directly to the account of Nirav Modi.
- As per the sources, the officials of Punjab National Bank had not mentioned the details of the transactions in SWIFT (Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication), a Software platform which helps the financial institution to keep records of their transactions. The bank kept on renewing the purchase validity of his LoU, and even after each yearly audits of the bank’s transactions, the issue was not raised by the officials.
- After PNB, several other banks such as Axis Bank, Allahabad Bank, Bank of India has also logged their complaints in this matter, and after their FIRs, the amount of scam reached up to 14, 400 crore rupees.
- On 16 February 2018, as per the report, the Ministry of external affairs has suspended the validity of his passport, along with his maternal uncle, Mehul Choksi.
- After the scam, opposition parties started criticising Prime Minister, Narendra Modi, for clicking his photos with Nirav Modi, while attending the economic summit at Davos, Switzerland.
- It was reported that he had escaped on 1 January 2018, and thereafter, the government of India issued a lookout notice in his name. It was also reported that his wife and children were already fled to New York before his escape.
- In another incident, a rumoured news had made headlines that the famous Bollywood actress Priyanka Chopra had sued him for some non-payment issues, and also ended her contract with his brand. In Facts, her spokesperson, Natasha Pal, had clarified that Priyanka had not done any such case and she is still looking for a legal opinion to end her contract with Nirav Modi.
- Popular Bollywood celebrities like Sidharth Malhotra, Priyanka Chopra, Lisa Haydon, Sonam Kapoor, and many others have promoted Nirav Modi brand by wearing their collections.
- Here is the video of an interview of Nirav Modi with BBC News in which he had revealed various secrets of his life.
- Here’s a video describing Nirav Modi’s luxurious lifestyle.
📢⚡TRENDING: List of ICC World Cup Winners (1975-2015)