|Famous For||Being the eldest child of Indian Politician Lalu Prasad Yadav|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 165 cm
in meters- 1.65 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 5”
|Political Party||Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD)
|Political Journey||• In 2014, she lost the Lok Sabha election from Patliputra parliamentary seat on the ticket of Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD).
• In 2016, she was elected as a member of Rajya Sabha.
• In 2016, she was appointed as the leader of RJD in Rajya Sabha.
• In 2016, she was appointed as a member of the Parliamentary Committee on Food, Consumer Affairs, and Public Distribution.
• In 2017, she was appointed as the Member of the Consultative Committee for the Ministry of External Affairs.
• In 2019, she lost the Lok Sabha election from Patliputra parliamentary seat on the ticket of Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD).
|Biggest Rival||Ram Kripal Yadav (BJP) The Telegraph|
|Date of Birth||Year 1976|
|Age (as of 2020)||44 Years|
|Hometown||Village Phulwaria, district Gopalganj, Bihar|
|College/University||Patna Medical College|
|Educational Qualification||MBBS The Indian Express|
|Controversies||• On 7 March 2015, Misa Bharti shared a picture on her Facebook page that showed her standing on a podium, apparently addressing an audience, with a false caption
"Harvard Vishwavidyalaya mein yuvaaon ki bhagidari ko lekar vyakhyaan dete hue" (Giving a speech on the role of youth at Harvard University)."
Consequently, the news was covered by several local newspapers in Bihar. As the fake news broke out, an official of Harvard University debunked Misa's claims, stating that, "Misa Bharti was invited as part of the audience and not as a speaker of any panel at the India Conference at Harvard." After her false claims came to light, Misa also took a u-turn saying, she never asserted to be a speaker at the conference; however, she did share her views with the delegates personally after the conference ended. The Economic Times
• In September 2018, a farmhouse owned by Misa Bharti and her husband, Shailesh Kumar, in Delhi’s Bijwasan area was attached by the Enforcement Directorate (ED) in a money laundering case. Later, in 2019, the attachment of farmhouse to the money laundering case was quashed by the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) appellate tribunal. Hindustan Times
• In January 2019, Misa Bharti attracted a controversy when she attacked the RJD loyalist-turned-rival Ram Kripal Yadav in a public gathering by saying,
"We had a huge regard for him (Ram Kripal Yadav). However, that stopped when he went and joined hands with BJP’s Sushil Kumar Modi… He used to cut the chaff. At that time I felt like cutting his hands with the same chaff-cutting machine.” In response to Misa's statement, Ram Kripal said, "will bless Misa even with the chopped hands." The Times Of India
• In 2019, her brother Tej Pratap's ex-wife, Aishwarya Rai, blamed her for creating a rift between her and Tej Pratap, which proved to be the reason behind the failure of Aishwarya's marriage. The Hindu
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||10 December 1999
|Husband/Spouse||Shailesh Kumar (computer engineer)
|Children||Son- Name not known (born in 2016)
Daughter(s)- Durga & Gauri
|Parents||Father- Lalu Prasad Yadav (politician)
Mother- Rabri Devi (politician)
|Siblings||Brother(s)- Tej Pratap Yadav (politician) & Tejashwi Yadav (politician)
Sister(s)- Rohini Acharya, Chanda Singh, Ragini Yadav, Hema Yadav, Anushka Rao, and Raj Laxmi
|Salary (approx.)||INR 16,000 (as a member of Rajya Sabha) rajyasabha.nic.in|
|Assets/Properties My Neta||Movable
Bank Deposits: 68 lakhs
Jewellery: 1450gm gold ornaments worth INR 40 lakhs, 2 kg silver utensils & precious stones worth INR 2.5 lakhs
Agricultural Land: Worth INR 1.4 crore
Non-Agricultural Land: Worth INR 1 crore
|Net Worth (approx.)||INR 7.5 crores My Neta|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Misa Bharti
- Misa Bharti, an Indian politician and MBBS graduate, is the eldest daughter of Indian politician Lalu Prasad Yadav. She is a Rajya Sabha MP since 2016.
- Misa was named after the infamous Draconian law “Maintenance of Internal Security Act” (MISA) invoked during Indira Gandhi’s government in 1971 under which her father, Lalu Prasad Yadav, and several other oppositions leaders were jailed during the Emergency.
- In 1993, Misa failed the MBBS entrance exam for MGM Medical College, Jamshedpur; however, she still secured a seat under the TISCO quota. Rediff.com It is said that the local politicians misused the quota to help admit their ward or their near and dear ones to MGM Medical College, Jamshedpur until the Jharkhand High Court stopped it in 2002.
- After pursuing MBBS at MGM Medical College, Jamshedpur for a short time, Misa Bharti was shifted to Patna Medical College for security reasons.
- Misa’s father, Lalu Prasad Yadav, arranged her marriage to Shailesh Kumar, who is affiliated with the same community as the Lalu family. Misa met her husband for the first time on the day of their marriage. Talking about it in an interview, she said,
I blindly trusted my parents’ choice, I only saw Shailesh’s photograph before marrying him. The first time I met him was at my wedding day on stage. Shailesh and his family have been very supportive, I never had to choose between bringing up my kids and politics.”
- Misa Bharti’s wedding ceremony (in 1999) was so lavish that it became the talk of the media, not only because of the extravagant money spent on the marriage arrangement, but also for some notorious reasons. Reportedly, Lalu’s loyalists raided car showrooms in Patna and drove away with dozens of unregistered cars to ferry guests to the marriage, they picked furniture from the market to be used in the marriage, and many other unethical practises were done. After the wedding, Income Tax Department also issued a notice against Lalu & Rabri to account the source of huge expenses incurred on their daughter’s marriage; however, they were given a clean chit after no evidence was found pertaining to the allegations. Rediff.com
- Although Misa had topped in her MBBS exams, she did not make a career in the medical profession. Talking about the reasons that stopped her from doing so, she said,
I could not practise because immediately after clearing my MBBS exam, I got married. It was not possible for me to continue with my medical profession with all the family responsibilities on my shoulder.”
- Reportedly, Misa assisted her mother in running the government when Lalu Prasad Yadav was in jail in a 1998 disproportionate assets case; however, she did not formally get into politics. She made an official entry to politics in 2014 by unsuccessfully contesting the 2014 Lok Sabha election, wherein she lost to Ram Kripal Yadav, a former close associate of Lalu Yadav. Ram Kripal had left the Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) and joined the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in 2014 after Lalu gave party ticket for Patliputra constituency to his daughter, Misa Bharti, instead of him. The Times of India
- Misa Bharti contested the Lok Sabha Election from Patliputra again in 2019, and this time again she was defeated again by BJP’s Ram Kripal Yadav by 37,310 votes.
- Rajya Sabha MP Misa Bharti describes herself as an avid reader, movie buff, and a great cook.