|Other Names||Niraj India Today|
|Famous For||Getting arrested for creating the controversial Bulli Bai app on GitHub in November 2021|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Date of Birth||Year, 2001|
|Age (as of 2022)||21 Years|
|Hometown||Digambar Chowk, Jorhat, Assam|
|School||St. Mary’s School|
|College/University||Vellore Institute of Technology, Bhopal|
|Educational Qualification||B. Tech Hindustan Times|
|Religion/Religious Views||Hinduism The Quint|
|Controversy||In 2022, Neeraj was arrested by Delhi Police on charges of creating an app, Bulli Bai, on GitHub that was used for the online auction of 100 of Muslim women. The app used images of Muslim women without their consent. In 2022, a journalist filed complaint against the app and said that 'Bulli Bai' was a word used to insult Muslim women. Later, it was reported that the sale was fake. The Quint|
|Relationships & More|
|Parents||Father- Dashrath Bishnoi (Shopkeeper)
Mother- Name Not Known (Homemaker)
|Siblings||Sister- He has two sisters, one of them is a lawyer, and other is studying mathematics.|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Neeraj Bishnoi
- Neeraj Bishnoi is an Indian app creator who is known for creating the controversial Bulli Bai App on GitHub in November 2021.
- The app was used for a virtual auction of Muslim women that included female journalists with Muslim ideology by using their pictures without their knowledge. The name of the app was also considered controversial by some journalists. According to them, the word Bulli Bai was used to disgrace Muslim women. After the investigation, it was reported that there were no actual sales of women. The app was made just to insult Muslim women.
- When he was in class tenth, he scored 86% marks in school and received a laptop from the Assam government as a gift. According to his father, he did not have many friends, and he would always be on his laptop. In an interview, his father talked about his behaviour in the house and said,
He would use his laptop till late… often past midnight. We do not know what he was doing. My wife and I would often tell him to get off it, and he would always respond: ‘Just five minutes more.’”
- In an investigation, he claimed that he learnt hacking at a young age, and had been doing it since the age of fifteen.
- According to some reports, when he was sixteen years old, he used the online forums Quora to express his views about Hinduism, technology and women. In some of the posts, he used to talk about how Hinduism was superior to other religions. In one of his posts, he even commented on the upbringing of the actress Sunny Leone for her work on adult sites. In a post, he talked about Hinduism and said,
A religion who thinks that increasing their followers would grant them a higher level in the society cannot be classified as a religion, especially those for whom killing other religion’s followers would grant them a ticket to heaven. I’m not pointing at anyone. I’m not pointing at any religion. My words are enough for that!”
- On 6 January 2022, he was arrested by the Delhi police from his hometown. He was sent to seven days of police custody. He became the fourth person who was arrested in the Bulli Bai App case. A renowned media house tweeted a video in which Neeraj was arrested by the police.
#WATCH Neeraj Bishnoi, the main conspirator & creator of 'Bulli Bai' on GitHub brought to Delhi by Delhi Police Special Cell
He was arrested from Assam by Delhi Police Special Cell's IFSO team pic.twitter.com/DzPR7rdHtH
— ANI (@ANI) January 6, 2022
- He was arrested after an F.I.R was lodged by a female journalist Ismat Ara. In one of the posts, she talked about the fear Muslim women had to face from such apps. She said,
It is very sad that as a Muslim woman you have to start your New Year with this sense of fear and disgust. Of course, it goes without saying that I am not the only one being targeted in this new version of ‘sulli’ deals. Screenshot sent by a friend this morning.”
- Reportedly, he created a Twitter handle with a different name through which he used to post abusive content. Through this account, he also tried to misguide the police about arresting him.
- He was suspended from his university because of his involvement in the Bulli Bai Case. In a statement given by his university, the university said,
He has been studying B.Tech since September 2020 via online classes. He has been arrested by Delhi Police in connection with his alleged involvement in Bulli Bai App. Niraj Bishnoi has been suspended with immediate effect from the university, in view of bringing disrepute to the university and defaming the name of the institute.”
- He claimed that he created the Twitter accounts and the app, and he also said that he did not do anything wrong. He also revealed that he used the Gurmukhi script for coding than Devnagri as Gurmukhi was easier. It was also reported that he used to hack the websites of schools and universities of India and Pakistan.
- While he was interrogated by the police, he tried to threaten the police to commit suicide in the custody.