Pratibha Singh Age, Husband, Children, Family, Biography & More
|Full name||Pratibha Virbhadra Singh Pratibha Virbhadra Singh - Instagram|
|Other name||Maharani India TV|
|Known for||Being the Wife of Virbhadra Singh|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 158 cm
in meters- 1.58 m
in feet & inches- 5’2”
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Political Party||Indian National Congress
|Political Journey||• Contested and won the general elections from the Mandi Lok Sabha constituency in Himachal Pradesh (2004)
• Contested and won the Bye-Election in the Mandi Lok Sabha constituency (2013)
• Contested and lost the general elections from the Mandi Lok Sabha constituency in Himachal Pradesh (2014)
• Contested and won the Bye-Election in the Mandi Lok Sabha constituency (2021)
• Appointed as President of the Himachal Pradesh Congress Committee (2022)
|Date of Birth||16 June 1956 (Saturday)|
|Age (as in 2022)||66 Years|
|Birthplace||Junga, Shimla, Himachal Pradesh, India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Gemini|
|Hometown||Junga, Shimla, Himachal Pradesh, India|
|School||Loreto Convent Tara Hall, Shimla|
|College||Government College for Women, Chandigarh|
|Educational Qualification||Bachelor of Arts My Neta|
|Address||Holly Lodge, Jakhu, Shimla - 171001 (Himachal Pradesh)|
|Hobbies||Reading, gardening, and doing social work|
|Controversies||• Booked under corruption charges
On 3 August 2009, a case was filed against Virbhadra Singh, and his wife, Pratibha Singh, based on an audio tape, which was recorded back in 1989 when Virbhadra Singh served as the Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh. In 2007, the audio tape was released by Virbhadra’s rival, Vijai Singh Mankotia, an Indian politician and member of the Indian National Congress, who accused Virbhadra and his wife’s involvement in some illegal monetary transactions. The tape had a conversation recorded between Virbhadra, his wife Pratibha, and Mohinder Lal (deceased), a former IAS officer, regarding illegal financial transactions of investment in some cement industry in Himachal Pradesh. They were charged under section 120 B (conspiracy) of the IPC and sections 7, 11, and 13 of the Prevention of Corruption Act (PCA) dealing with bribery and criminal misconduct. On 24 December 2012, Virbhadra and Pratibha were acquitted of all the charges by a trial court in Shimla after the prime witness refused his statements against them. India Today
• FIR filed for allegedly accumulating disproportionate assets
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) registered a case on 23 September 2015 against the former Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh Virbhadra Singh for allegedly accumulating disproportionate assets worth Rs 10 crores when he served as the Union Minister in the UPA government from 2009-2012. The charge sheet framed by the CBI accused his wife Pratibha Singh, his son Vikramaditya Singh, and his daughter Aparajita Singh of allegedly encouraging the crime and misappropriating the funds. Virbhadra and his family members were levied with the charges of cheating and forgery as they invested the illegal funds in LIC policies with the help of an agent and tried to evade tax by showing the funds as an agricultural income obtained from the sale proceeds of apples. They were charged under sections 109 (abetment) and 465 (punishment for forgery) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and Prevention of Corruption Act (PCA). The Economic Times
• Criticized for passing controversial statement on Gudiya rape case
In June 2022, while her visit to Keylong in Lahaul and Spiti for a public meeting, Pratibha Singh garnered controversy when she remarked about the Gudiya rape case and addressed it as “Choti Si Vardat" (minor accident). The Gudiya Rape case aka Kotkhai rape and murder case involved the brutal rape and murder of a 16-year-old girl from Shimla by the accused Charani Nilu. While addressing the people during the meeting in Keylong, Pratibha said,
Hamari sarkar mein ek chhoti si vardat huyi thi. Ek gaon mein ladki ke Saath durvyavahar hua tha... bachi thi school ki....to BJP ke logon ne itna uska halla machaya... police ka daftar jala diya... ye kaha ki iski investigation honi chahiye. Us samay Raja Sahab mukhyamantri the, unhone turant aadesh diye aur dusre din hi CBI uski jaanch partal karne ke liye aayi...itna inhone iska rona roya... jab tak sarkar me badlav nahi aaya tab tak is baat ko bhunate rahe... halanki aisa kuchh bhi nahi tha... log jante the is baat ko." The Times of India
After her video went viral all over the internet, Pratibha received sheer criticism for allegedly disrespecting women in general. On 1 July 2022, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Mahila Morcha staged a dharna against her at Dharamshala, Himachal Pradesh, and demanded an apology for her statement for hurting the sentiments of public and Gudiya’s family.
• Accusations of domestic exploitation
On 17 October 2022, a case was filed under section 12 of the Domestic Violence Act by Sudarshana Chundawat at the Udaipur court against her husband Vikramaditya Singh, mother-in-law Pratibha Singh, sister-in-law Aparajita Singh, brother-in-law Angad Singh, and Amreen, a resident of Chandigarh for allegedly exploiting her mentally, emotionally, and financially. In her complaint, Sudarshana alleged that her husband installed CCTV cameras in her room to monitor her and had an extramarital affair with Amreen, a 38-year-old resident of Chandigarh. She revealed that Vikramaditya wanted to marry Amreen at first, but his father, Virbhadra Singh, threatened to disown him if he went against his decision of marrying Amreen. When Sudarshana confronted Vikramaditya about his affair, he threatened her and pressurized her to divorce. Sudarsha accused Vikramaditya and Pratibha of demanding a dowry of Rs 10 crore from her parents while their visit to her hometown, Udaipur, in April 2021. As per some media sources, after Sudarshana filed the case, a non-bailable warrant was issued against Vikramaditya and his mother, Pratibha Singh by the Udaipur court in December 2022, but Vikramaditya denied getting any kind of warrant and said,
There was no order passed by the court regarding issuance of non-bailable warrants. Rather, we have accepted the notices. We are not evading the law. There has been no default on our part, so there is no question of issuing warrants against us.” The Indian Express
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||28 November 1985|
|Husband/Spouse||Virbhadra Singh (Politician)
|Children||Son- Vikramaditya Singh (Politician)
Daughter- Aparajita Singh
|Parents||Father- Late Hitendra Sen
Mother- Late Shanta Devi
|Other Relative||Father-in-law- Raja Padam Singh (121st titular Maharaja of Bushahr)
Mother-in-law- Rani Shanti Devi
Son-in-law- Angad Singh (Aparajita's husband; grandson of Captain Amarinder Singh)
Step-daughter(s)- 4 (from Virbhadra Singh's first wife, Ratna Kumari)
• Jyotsna Kumari
• Anuradha Kumari (deceased)
• Abhilasha Kumari (judge)
• Meenakshi Kumari
• Cash: Rs 25,000
• Deposits in Banks, Financial Institutions and Non-Banking Financial Companies: Rs 2,60,38,068
• Bonds, Debentures and Shares in companies: Rs 2,11,000
• LIC or other insurance Policies: Rs 3,29,87,000
• Jewellery: Rs 4700000
• Non-Agricultural Land: Rs 85,00,000
Note: The given estimates of movable and immovable assets are according to 2014. It excludes the assets owned by her husband and dependents (minor). My Neta
|Net Worth (approx.)||As of 2014, Pratibha's net worth is estimated to be Rs 7,24,61,068.
Note: It excludes her husband's and dependents' net worth (minors). My Neta
Some Lesser Known Facts About Pratibha Singh
- Pratibha Singh is an Indian politician and member of the Indian National Congress (INC). She is the second wife of Virbhadra Singh who held the post of Himachal Pradesh’s Chief Minister six times. Pratibha was appointed as the President of the Himachal Pradesh Congress Committee on 26 April 2022. Pratibha made headlines in December 2022 when a case was registered against her by her daughter-in-law, Sudarshana Chundawat, for allegedly harassing her physically, mentally, and financially.
- Pratibha Singh belongs to the royal Rajput family in Keonthal, Himachal Pradesh. Hindustan Times
- After getting married to Virbhadra Singh, she entered politics and joined the Indian National Congress (INC).
- Pratibha’s party supporters and local people of her town fondly address her “Maharani” because her husband Virbhadra Singh belonged to the royal Rajput family of the erstwhile princely state of Bushahr, and he became the 122nd titular Maharaja of Bushahr, at the age of 13, after the demise of his father Raja Padam Singh in 1947.
- Pratibha served as the vice-chairperson of the Himachal Pradesh State Red Cross Society from 1985 to 1990, 1994 to 1998, and in the year 2003.
- Pratibha actively supported several sports promotional events, especially in rural areas.
- Pratibha actively participates in various social causes for the upliftment of the weaker sections of society. She is associated with several organizations, which work for the betterment of orphan children and destitute women.
- Pratibha served as a member of the State Women Empowerment Board since 2003; the State Planning Board since 2003; and the Central Advisory Education Board since 2004.
- On 8 December 2022, the results of the Himachal Pradesh Legislative Assembly elections were announced in which the Congress party secured victory and bagged 40 seats out of 68. The party named a few potential candidates for the post of Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh like Pratibha Singh, Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu and Mukesh Agnihotri. On 10 December 2022, Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu was officially announced as Himachal Pradesh’s 15th Chief Minister by Chhattisgarh’s Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel. Pratibha, while addressing the media, accepted the decision and said,
We accept the decision taken by Congress high command.” Hindustan Times