|Full Name||Pratibha Devisingh Patil|
|Political Party|| Indian National Congress
|Political Journey||1962: She was elected as the Member of Legislative Assembly for the Jalgaon constituency of Maharashtra
1967-1985: she won in the Muktainagar (formerly Edlabad) constituency for four consecutive years.
1985-1990: became a Member of Parliament in Rajya Sabha
1991: She became the Member of Parliament from Amravati constituency
2004: She was appointed as the 24th Governor of Rajasthan
|Biggest Rival||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 160 cm
in meters- 1.60 m
in feet inches- 5’ 3”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 65 kg
in pounds- 143 lbs
|Hair Colour||Salt and pepper|
|Date of Birth||19 December 1934|
|Age (as in 2017)||83 Years|
|Birth Place||Nadgaon, Bombay Presidency, British India (now in Maharashtra, India)|
|Address||Raigad Bungalow, Near C.I.D Office, Pashan Road, Pune, Maharashtra, India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Sagittarius|
|Hometown||Nadgaon, Bombay Presidency, British India (now in Maharashtra, India)|
|School||R. R. Vidyalaya, Jalgaon, Maharashtra, India|
|Colleges/ Universities||Mooljee Jetha College, Jalgaon, Maharashtra, India (then under Pune University)
Government Law College, Mumbai
|Educational Qualification(s)||Master's degree in Political Science and Economics
Bachelor of Law degree
|Family||Father- Narayan Rao Patil
Mother- Name Not Known
Brother- G. N. Patil
Sister- Not Known
|Hobbies||Reading, Writing & playing Table Tennis|
|Controversies||• She was accused of shielding her brother, G. N. Patil, in the 2005 Vishram Patil murder case. Wife of Vishram Patil said that Pratibha Patil had influenced the criminal investigation and G.N. Patil was involved in the murder of her husband as he got defeated by Vishram in the election for the President of the District Congress Committee of Jalgaon.
• In another controversy, it was found that she allegedly used government expenses to build a retirement mansion on a 260,000 square feet (24,000 m2) plot of military land in Pune. In fact, as per the rules, the former president could either take a residence in government accommodation at Delhi or go back to their house in their home state. This action of her was considered unprecedented.
• An RTI query filed by activist Subhash Chandra Agrawal revealed that she has packed over 150 gifts, which were received by her from foreign dignitaries and transported them to her hometown in Amravati, where it was supposed to display at a museum, Vidya Bharati Shaikshanik Mandal, which is run by her family. But according to the rule, those gifts are to be deposited with the official treasury of gifts, which maintains inventory. In action to query, Pranab Mukherjee's secretariat has taken steps wrote to Vidya Bharati Shaikshanik Mandal, asking it to return the gifts by June 2015.
• In a rumoured news, Pratibha Patil, impressed Indira Gandhi that much by her cooking skills, that she gifted her the license to open Chit-Funds across Amravati, where her Family was being allegedly involved in siphoning off lakhs of rupees of poor farmers in the name of social security.
|Favourite Food(s)||Maharashtrian Cuisines, Gujarati cuisines &|
|Favourite Actor(s)||Amitabh Bachchan, Rajesh Khanna, Aamir Khan, Dev Anand|
|Favourite Actresses||Rekha, Priyanka Chopra, Hema Malini, Jaya Bachchan|
|Favourite Singer(s)||A. R Rahman, Mohammed Rafi, Kishore Kumar, Lata Mangeshkar|
|Boys, Affairs and More|
|Husband/Spouse|| Devisingh Ransingh Shekhawat
|Marriage Date||7 July 1965|
|Children||Son- Rajendra Shekhawat (Aka Raosaheb Shekhawat)
Daughter- Jyoti Rathore
|Salary (retired President's Pension)||75,000/month (INR)|
|Net Worth (Approx)||2.5 Crore INR|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Pratibha Patil
- In 1962, at the age of 27, she became the youngest elected member in Maharashtra Legislative Assembly of that time.
- She has been the first women President of India, so far.
- Patil had been loyal to the INC and the Nehru-Gandhi family for decades. She was also the cook of former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.
- Her opposition candidate, Bhairon Singh Shekhawat, during the presidential election was supported by the National Democratic Alliance (NDA), although the Shiv Sena party, which was a part of NDA, supported her because of her Marathi origin.
- She has often been criticised by a section of people for her belief in supernatural things as she claims that she frequently receives messages from Dada Lekhraj, a dead guru.
- She also made an uncanny statement in 1975, that those suffering from hereditary diseases should be sterilised.
- She commuted the death sentences of 35 petitioners to life sentence, which is a record and defended herself saying that the President had granted clemency to the petitioners after the advice of the Home Ministry.
- Another case after her retirement included her desire to claim both an official government car and fuel allowance for the running of a private car, despite rules clearly stipulating that this was an either/or situation.
- She became the second President and the first woman to flew in a fighter plane, Sukhoi, after her predecessor Dr A.P.J. Abdul Kalam who also flew in a ‘Sukhoi -30’. She also made a history and a world record as a woman or a State Head to fly in a fighter plane at the age of 74.
- Her Presidential tenure often made headlines for spending more money on foreign trips compared to her predecessors and also Sometimes accompanied by as many as 11 members of her family. According to sources, in all these trips she has spent about 205 Crore Indian rupees.
- She had also set up various ventures such as Vidya Bharati Shikshan Prasarak Mandal, an educational institute which runs a chain of schools and colleges in Amravati, Jalgaon,Pune and Mumbai, a Shram Sadhana Trust, which runs hostels for working women in New Delhi, Mumbai and Pune, an engineering college for rural students in Jalgaon district, and also founded a cooperative sugar factory known as Sant Muktabai Sahakari Sakhar Karkhana at Muktainagar.
- She had also founded a CooperativeBank, Pratibha Mahila Sahakari Bank, whose license was cancelled by the Reserve Bank of India as the bank had given illegal loans to her relatives that exceeded the bank’s share capital. It had also given a loan to her sugar mill which was never repaid. The government liquidator of the bank, P. D. Nigam, said that as per the audit report, Six of the top ten defaulters in the bank were linked to her relatives.
- Pratibha Patil, along with her brother GN Patil, collected 1,89,105 rupees for the Tsunami Relief to be given to Chief Minister’s Relief Fund but did NOT deposit it to the said account.
- Unlike her predecessor, A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, who actively traveled and gave lectures on science throughout India. The least she did was the encouragement of table tennis in schools.
- Her Son, Rajendra (Raosaheb) Shekhawat, a Congress MLA was interrogated by the Amravati police in connection with the seizure of Rs 1 crore in hard currency when he was coming from Nagpur in a car. The money was hidden in the luggage compartment of the car. He explained it as “party funds” meant for distribution to Congress candidates ahead of the civic polls in the year 2012.
- Here is the video of her last speech given after her demit from the post of President in the year 2012.
📢⚡TRENDING: Watch the biography of REAL "Gully Boy" - Naezy⚡