Preneet Kaur Age, Caste, Husband, Children, Family, Biography & More
|Famous for||Being the Minister of State in the Ministry of External Affairs from 2009 to 2014|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 165 cm
in meters- 1.65 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 5”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 70 kg
in pounds- 154 lbs
|Political Party||Indian National Congress
|Political Journey||• In 1999, Preneet contested in the General elections from Patiala Lok Sabha constituency. She won the seat but her party lost the elections.
• In 2004, she retained her seat after her party won the elections. During her term, she served the Food, Civil Supplies and Public Distribution; Women's Empowerment; Public Undertakings; and Water Resources committies.
• In 2007, after Amarinder Singh demitted the party, she also lost her seat.
• In 2009, in the next elections, she retained her seat once again. During this term, she was made the Minister of State (MoS) in the Ministry of External Affairs.
• In 2014, her party lost the elections and she was also removed from the office.
• In 2019, her party won the elections again and she continued to be the Minister of State (MoS) in the Ministry of External Affairs.
|Award||She won the Sikh of the year award in 2009.|
|Date of Birth||3 October 1944 (Monday)|
|Age (as of 2021)||77 Years|
|School||The Convent of Jesus and Mary, Shimla|
|College/University||St. Bede's College, Shimla|
|Educational Qualification||B.A. My Neta|
|Caste||Kahlon Jat Sikh|
|Address||1169,New Moti Bagh Palace,
Patiala - 147 001, Punjab
|Hobbies||Reading, Art, Social Work, Gardening|
|Controversy||In 2014, Preneet and her son`s name was revealed in the list of people who held account in the Swiss bank. The government of India asked the bank to probe against them. The Federal Tax Administration (FTA) of Switzerland had asked them to file an appeal for “exercise of the right to be heard” so that details could be gathered from them. The Indian Express|
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||October 1964|
|Husband||Captain Amarinder Singh (Politician)
|Children||Son- Raninder Singh (Politician)
Daughter- Jai Inder Kaur
|Parents||Father- Sardar Gian Singh Kahlon (Indian Civil Service Officer)
Mother- Satinder Kaur
|Siblings||Brother- Himmat Singh Kahlon (Works in UNO)
Sister- Geetinder Kaur
• Cash: Rs 2,60,000
• Deposits in Banks: Rs 4,42,50,353.93
• Bonds, Debentures and Shares in companies: Rs 69,61,031.40
• Personal loans/advance given: Rs 2,75,97,436
• Motor Vehicles: Rs 11,62,930
• Jewellery: Rs 1,08,02,006
Gross Total Value: Rs 9,10,33,757 My Neta
• Agricultural Land: Rs 14,43,80,000
• Non Agricultural Land: Rs 73,60,000
• Residential Buildings: Rs 39,32,00,000
Total Immovable Assets: Rs 54,49,40,000 My Neta
• Loans due to Individual / Entity: Rs 24,53,369
• Other Liability: Rs 4,00,00,000
Total Liabilities: Rs 4,24,53,369 My Neta
|Net Worth (as of 2019)||Rs. 91,033,757 My Neta|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Preneet Kaur
- Preneet Kaur is an Indian politician who was the Minister of State in the Ministry of External Affairs from 2009 to 2014. She retained the office in 2019 once again.
- She was born in a Sikh Jat family, and she belongs to an army background.
- After Preneet married Captain Amarinder Singh in 1964, she became the Maharani of Patiala.
- Before entering politics in 1999, she became the founder of an institute named Sanjeevani for differently-abled children.
- In August 2019, Preneet was duped by a man in Delhi after he took Rs.23 lakh from her account. He was later arrested by the police. The Tribune
- In 2019, she inaugurated the Banur Canal System Project on the banks of Ghaggar river near village Chhat Beer.
- In 2020, to work towards land degradation and declining groundwater levels in Punjab, a scheme was launched by Preneet. She announced that anyone who wanted a license for their gun would have to plant 10 trees and anyone who wanted the license to be renewed, would have to plant 5 trees. The scheme was named ‘Tree-for-Gun.’ She attended the session online.
- In 2021, she announced a project named ‘single wire’ for the beautification and strengthening of the power distribution system in the city. In an interview, talking about the project, she said,
Every major road in the inner part of Patiala city and every street has been made a part of this project. Work to be carried out for the beautification and strengthening of the power distribution system has been planned.”
- On 30 September 2021, Preneet`s husband Amarinder Singh resigned from the party (INC), but she reported that she would continue to be in the same party as the Minister of External Affairs. In an interview, she said,
I will stay in the Congress and will stick to my position (as MP). I have no intention of quitting.”
- In 2021, she handed over proprietary ownership certificates to 60 residents of Patiala’s Jiwan Singh Basti under Punjab Government’s BASERA scheme.
- In an interview, she talked about what she thinks about the future of women in politics, she said,
Women hold several important positions already. However, women are still under represented in Parliament and government. Women are as much politicians as men and I hope that more and more women will enter public life through politics as this would not only increase participation of women in public life but also have a salutary effect for the amelioration of women’s status in India. I look forward to the day when there are more women politicians accepted in their own right and not as ‘women politicians’.”
- Preneet also contributes to social work and often posts pictures on social media platforms.
- She is close to her family and posts pictures of her children and grandchildren on social media platforms.
|↑1, ↑3, ↑4, ↑5, ↑6||My Neta|
|↑2||The Indian Express|