Rajnigandha Shekhawat (Singer) Wiki, Age, Husband, Family, Biography & More
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 168 cm
in meters- 1.68 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 6”
|Debut||Music Album: Soul of the Desert (2006)|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• Best Female Artist Aloud Award 2011
• 25 Women of Substance of Rajasthan (20 December 2012) by DNA
• Rajasthan Sangeet Ratna title on 23 December 2012
• Best Fusion Song Award in the Non-Film Music category at the Jaipur Music Festival Awards 2017
|Date of Birth||18 November 1975 (Tuesday)|
|Age (as of 2021)||45 Years|
|School||Maharani Gayatri Devi Girls' School, Jaipur|
|College/University||• Maharani College, Jaipur
• Rajasthan Sangeet Sansthan, Rajasthan
• SNDT University in Mumbai
|Educational Qualification(s)||• Bachelor in Commerce
• Course in Hindustani Classical Music
• MA in Music Facebook Radio and Music Rajasthan Ki Batan
|Religion||Hinduism Rajasthan Ki Batan|
|Caste||Rajput Rajasthan Ki Batan|
|Food Habit||Non-Vegetarian DNA India|
|Relationships & More|
|Marital Status||Not Known|
|Parents||Father- Dr Bhawani Singh (Royal Highness/Thakur Sahab of Malsisar, Jaipur)
Mother- Late Rawalot Bhati
|Siblings||Brother- She has one elder brother.
Sister- Vineeta Kumari Shekhawat
|Food||Prawns Gassi at Mahesh, Mumbai, and Dosa at Andheri railway station, Mumbai|
|Dessert||Strawberry Ice-Cream at Haji Ali Juice Centre, Mumbai|
|Genre(s)||Sufi Folk and Ghazals|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Rajnigandha Shekhawat
- Rajnigandha Shekhawat is a Rajasthani singer who is famous for her English and Rajasthani Marwari mashups.
- She did her training in Indian classical music from Pt. Lakshman Bhatt Tailang and Maharaja Sawai Man Singh Sangeet Vidyalaya. She is also trained under the Gwalior Gharana from Pt. Rattan Mohan Sharma (Pt. Jasraj’s nephew).
- While she was in school, she performed solo for the first time in her school assembly.
- In an interview, she shared that in childhood she used to be a tomboy.
- She represented Rajasthan in the national level Taekwondo competition while she was in school.
- Rajnigandha worked with the Times music group before starting her career as a professional singer.
- She has released many popular songs such as ‘Tattoo’ from the album ‘Monsoon Shootout’ (2014), ‘Aai’s Aalaap’ from the album ‘Margarita with a Straw’ (2014), ‘Badri Ki Dulhania (Title Track)’ from ‘Badrinath Ki Dulhania’ (2017), and ‘Laalam Laal’ from the album ‘Kaagaz’ (2021).
- In an interview, she talked about making her career as a singer. She said,
I would sing western numbers too but I just did not want to develop an accent as that would really get into my way of singing Hindi numbers. So I would abstain from it but recently I have developed this interest in western music and I am taking lessons to get better at it.”
- As per media sources, she is the only singer who does Rajasthani folk and English mashups together. Wikipedia
- In 2017, her mashup song ‘Cheap Thrills with Ghoomar’ became immensely popular.
- She has performed live in more than 500 concerts (as of 2021) across various countries.
- Rajnigandha has sung jingles for various TV advertisements like Fanta, Jabong, Lenovo, and Rajasthan Tourism.
- She has also sung the Indian Idol 10 song “Mausam Music Ka” and one of the Red FM jingles.
- She participated in the TV reality show ‘Rising Star’ in 2018.
- Shekhawat owns a publicity agency in Mumbai which works for the publicity of celebrities and popular brands. Her agency has worked with Disney India, Times of India (Times Music), and has been associated with the famous Indian actor Shahid Kapoor.
- In an interview, she talked about her parents. She said,
My father topped the university in his student days and has over 100 debating prizes to his credit, those lovely old trophies share a proud place in our drawing room at home now, at our insistence. He has written nearly 19 books to date. My late mother was a Rawalot Bhati from Jaisalmer, whose family shifted to Uttar Pradesh a few centuries ago. She studied in Lady Irwin College in Delhi before she married my father, came to Jaipur and turned herself into a typical Thakurani from Rajasthan! I have a brother who lives in Jaipur with his own family, and an elder sister, who got married and went to Lucknow.”
- During an interview, she said that as she belonged to a Royal family she was not allowed to perform on a public platform. She said,
It’s not been easy, I have a lot to achieve so the journey continues. My parents, like any normal Rajput parents, were not open to allowing a daughter to sing. But over the years they saw me getting prizes, then felicitations, they attended my concerts. I think they were worried that I will go out of Rajasthan and turn into something strange. They now realize I am more of a Rajasthani since I moved to Mumbai to pursue my dream and they are happy and proud of me now.”
- She has also performed in the American TV reality show ‘So You Think You Can Dance.’
- Rajnigandha is considered the “MahaRani of Mashups” in India. Play Board
- During an interview, she shared that she loved her mother tongue. She further added,
I love to talk in Marwari, but it is disheartening when I speak to people, shopkeepers or even in hotels and restaurants in Marwari and they reply back in Hindi. If I know the language, so do they. So what’s the shame in speaking in your mother tongue? People in Rajasthan need to understand that speaking in our own language is what will set us apart. It won’t make us look small,” she rues, but adds, “I have a lot of respect for Punjabi people and their music. The way they have promoted their music, not just in India but abroad as well, is commendable. The same push is needed to promote Rajasthani folk. Through my documentary, I want to get our music out there and make it popular.”
- In 2009, she started her self-titled YouTube channel which she uploads her singing videos.
- Her female icon is the former Maharani of Jaipur, Gayatri Devi.
- In an interview, she shared a message for the young girls of India. She said,
I strongly believe that one has to take charge of one’s life, one’s destiny and reach out for one’s dreams. Excuses don’t make for great nostalgic stories, it’s the stories of victory that draw people to you. None of us has a perfect life or a perfect spring board to leap to success from, but constantly blaming others or circumstances for one’s failure is a waste of time. Sirf bahane list karte rehne se kuch nahi hoga, aage badho, face life and work hard.”
- Her haircut video went viral in 2018 in which she had cut her knee-length hair (93 cms) to donate to a cancer charity organisation. Her video received mixed reactions from the netizens.
|↑2||Radio and Music|
|↑3, ↑4, ↑5||Rajasthan Ki Batan|