Age: 58 Years
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 173 cm
in meters- 1.73 m
in feet inches- 5’ 8”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 85 kg
in pounds- 187 lbs
|Service||Indian Police Service (IPS)|
|Major Designation(s)||1985: Additional Superintendent of Police (ASP), Raipur (the then part of Madhya Pradesh)
Late 1980s: Deputy Superintendent of Police in Damoh, Shivpuri and Mandsaur districts
1992-1996: On Central Deputation
2000-2005: On Central Deputation
2009-2012: Additional Director General of Police (ADG) Intelligence
2016-2018: Director General of Police (DGP)
2018: Chairman of the Police Housing Corporation
2019: Director of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI)
|Date of Birth||23 August 1960|
|Age (as in 2018)||58 Years|
|Birthplace||Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh, India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Virgo|
|Hometown||Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh, India|
|School||• Carmel Convent Senior Secondary School, Gwalior
• A Hindi High School, Kolkata
|College/University||A College in Gwalior|
|Educational Qualification||• B.Com
• M. A. in Philosophy
|Controversy||After the formation of Congress government in Madhya Pradesh, the Kamal Nath government replaced him with V. K. Singh on 30 January 2019, amidst the arrest of a pro-Congress YouTuber, Abhishek Mishra, by Delhi Police; as the MP government considered Shukla behind the arrest. Also, the Kamal Nath government was not pleased with his decision making in the postings of some IPS officers.|
|Relationships & More|
|Wife/Spouse||Neelam (School Teacher)|
Daughters- 2 (Names Not Known, both are Engineers)
|Parents||Father- Bal Krishna Shukla (Engineer, General Manager)
Mother- Name Not Known
Sister- Shramita Pandey (Elder)
|Salary (as CBI Director)||₹80 thousand/month + Other allowances (as in 2018)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Rishi Kumar Shukla
- Mr Shukla was born into a well-versed family of Gwalior.
- His grandfather, Rameshwar Shastri, was a renowned Ayurvedacharya from 1921 to 1944 in Lala Ka Bazaar. Moreover, the street where he used to practice, has been named after him- Doctor Rameshwar Shastri Lane/Lala Ka Bazaar.
- When he was a kid, his father was an Engineer at MPEB or Madhya Pradesh Electricity Board, Gwalior.
- After completing his elementary schooling, Rishi, along with his family moved to Kolkata when his father started working as General Manager in Hindustan Motors.
- He was always a bright student, and on two occasions, he got admission to the Indian Institute of Technology – first to IIT Kharagpur and then to IIT Kanpur. However, due to family issues, he couldn’t continue his education in IIT and returned to Gwalior.
- After completing his post graduation from Gwalior, he decided to attempt the much-coveted Union Public Service and cracked the exam in his first attempt in 1983.
- When he was inducted into the Indian Police Service in 1983, he was just 23-years-old and was also one the youngest IPS Officers of his batch.
- After receiving his training from the National Police Academy, he was posted in Shivpuri, Damoh, Raipur, and Mandsaur districts of Madhya Pradesh and Chattisgarh.
- He played a pivotal role in the extradition of Abu Salem and his then-girlfriend Monica Bedi in 2005.
- In 2016, the then Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh, Shivraj Singh Chouhan, handpicked him as the next DGP of the state. During his tenure, he took action against the corrupt police officers. Moreover, 8 SIMI suspects were also killed, just a few hours after they broke out of the Bhopal Central Jail.
- He has always been a tech-savvy. He was behind the technological upgradation in the MP Police and was behind the Dial 100 system. Moreover, he was the first DGP of the state to have an official Twitter account.
- He was also behind the introduction of Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS) and Special Task Force (STF) in Madhya Pradesh.
- When he was the DGP of Madhya Pradesh, the farmers’ agitation took place in the state, which resulted in the death of 6 farmers in police firing on 6 June 2017 in Mandsaur.
- He has received training for crisis management and hostage negotiations from the U. S.
- He is fond of playing tennis and has won many inter-department tennis tournaments.
- He was on a 6-weeks leave between October 2018 to December 2018, following bypass surgery. And, when he rejoined his duties as the DSP, the newly formed Congress Government in Madhya Pradesh transferred him from the post of DGP to the Chairman of the State Police Housing Corporation, where he served for only 3 days.
- On 2 February 2019, he was appointed as the Director of Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) for a fixed period of 2 years.
- He is the second police officer from Madhya Pradesh, after the founder-director D. P. Kohli, to lead the CBI.