Rita Bahuguna Joshi Age, Caste, Husband, Children, Family, Biography & More
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 162 cm
in meters- 1.62 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 4”
|Hair Colour||Salt and Pepper|
|Political Party||• Bharatiya Janata Party (2016 - till date)
• Indian National Congress (1992 - 2016)
|Political Journey||• 1995 - 2000: Mayor, Municipal Corporation, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh
• 2012 - 2019: Member, Uttar Pradesh Legislative Assembly (Two term)
• May 2019: Elected to 17th Lok Sabha
• 13 September 2019: Convenor- Committee of Parliament on Official Language and Member of Standing Committee on Rural Development and Panchayati Raj
• 9 October 2019: Chairperson of Joint Committee on Salaries and Allowances of Members of Parliament
• 21 November 2019: Member, General Purposes Committee, Lok Sabha and Member of Consultative Committee, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
|Date of Birth||22 July 1949 (Friday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||73 Years|
|Birthplace||Allahabad, United Provinces, India|
|Caste||Brahmin The Print|
|Hometown||Allahabad, United Provinces, India|
|Educational Qualification||MA and a PhD in History from Allahabad University in 1981 Lok Sabha|
|Address||20, Minto Road, Prayagraj-211001, Uttar Pradesh|
• 2 charges related to Voluntarily causing hurt to deter public servant from his duty (IPC Section-332)
• 1 charge related to Voluntarily causing grievous hurt to deter public servant from his duty (IPC Section-333)
• 1 charge related to Promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion, race, place of birth, residence, language, etc., and doing acts prejudicial to maintenance of harmony (IPC Section-153A)
• 1 charge related to Cheating and dishonestly inducing delivery of property (IPC Section-420)
Cases Where Convicted
• 1 charge related to Forgery of valuable security, will, etc. (IPC Section-467)
• 1 charge related to Forgery for purpose of cheating (IPC Section-468)
• 1 charge related to Attempt to murder (IPC Section-307)
• 3 charges related to Disobedience to order duly promulgated by public servant (IPC Section-188)
• 2 charges related to Act endangering life or personal safety of others (IPC Section-336)
• 2 charges related to Punishment for wrongful restraint (IPC Section-341)
• 2 charges related to Punishment for Rioting (IPC Section-147)
• 1 charge related to Every member of unlawful assembly guilty of offence committed in prosecution of common object (IPC Section-149)
• 1 charge related to Punishment for voluntarily causing hurt (IPC Section-323)
• 1 charge related to Causing hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others (IPC Section-337)
• 1 charge related to Causing grievous hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others (IPC Section-338
• 1 charges related to Assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharge of his duty (IPC Section-353)
• 1 charge related to Wantonly giving provocation with intent to cause riot-if rioting be committed-if not committed (IPC Section-153)
• 1 charges related to Intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of the peace (IPC Section-504)
• 1 charge related to Word, gesture or act intended to insult the modesty of a woman (IPC Section-509)
• 1 charge related to Punishment of criminal conspiracy (IPC Section-120B)
• 1 charge related to Public servant framing incorrect record or writing with intent to save person from punishment or property from forfeiture (IPC Section-218)
• 1 charge related to Using as genuine a forged document or electronic record (IPC Section-471)
• 1 charge related to Rioting, armed with deadly weapon (IPC Section-148)
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||25 November 1976|
|Husband/Spouse||Puran Chandra Joshi (Logistics Business)
Note: Her granddaughter died in November 2020. Jagran
|Children||Son- Mayank Joshi|
|Parents||Father- Hemvati Nandan Bahuguna (politician)
Mother- Kamala Bahuguna (politician)
• Vijay Bahuguna (politician)
• Shekhar Bahuguna (politician)
|Assets/Properties My Neta||Movable Assets
Cash: Rs 1,25,000
Deposits in Banks: Rs 74,70,656
Bonds, Debentures and Shares: Rs 14,82,927
NSS, Postal Savings: Rs 4,00,000
Jewellery: Rs 3,60,745
Other assets: Rs 80,000
Commercial Buildings: Rs 20,00,000
Residential Buildings: Rs 1,50,00,000
Loans from Banks: Rs 16,00,000
|Net Worth||Rs. 2.5 crores My Neta|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Rita Bahuguna Joshi
- Rita Bahuguna Joshi is an Indian politician. She is the former cabinet minister in the Government of Uttar Pradesh. From 2007 to 2012, she served as the president of the Uttar Pradesh Congress Committee. She is known for being the daughter of late politician Hemwati Nandan Bahuguna, a former Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh. On 20 October 2016, she became a part of the Bharatiya Janata Party, and in the 2019 Indian general elections, she was appointed as a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party in the Lok Sabha from the Allahabad constituency.
- Rita grew up in a family of politicians in Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh. Her father, H. N. Bahuguna was a former Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh. During the tenure of Indian Prime Minister Charan Singh, H. N. Bahuguna was appointed as the Finance Minister of India. Her mother, Late Kamla Bahuguna, was an MP from the Phulpur Lok Sabha constituency. One of her brothers Vijay Bahuguna was a former Chief Minister of Uttarakhand. Her second brother, Shekhar Bahuguna also tried his hands at politics but never won any elections. Shekhar contested the 2012 assembly election from the Phaphamau constituency in Allahabad, U.P. but lost.
- From 1974 to 2008, Rita Bahuguna Joshi was nominated as a Member of the UNDP Advisory Board of Local Authorities. In 2004, she was a Member of the Bejing + 10 Drafting Committee. In 1995, she was appointed as the mayor of Allahabad, and she served the position till 2000. In 2003, she was appointed as the president of the All India Mahila Congress and is a former vice-president of the National Council of Women. In September 2007, Rita Bahuguna Joshi began working as the president of the Uttar Pradesh Congress Committee. In 2012, she contested the Legislative Assembly elections for the Lucknow Cantonment for the lower house of the Parliament of India but lost. In 2014, Rita Bahuguna Joshi re-contested the Lok Sabha elections from Lucknow and lost. After her 24 years stint in the Indian National Congress, she joined Bharatiya Janta Party on 20 October 2016 in presence of BJP president Amit Shah.
- On 16 July 2009, she was arrested and kept in the Moradabad jail for 14 days in judicial custody for making derogatory remarks about Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati. She accused Mayawati of her vain law and order situation in Uttar Pradesh, which increased the number of rape cases in Uttar Pradesh. In her speech, Rita Bahuguna Joshi narrated a few instances in which the rape victims were provided 25,000 rupees compensation for keeping their mouths shut after being raped. Rita Remake,
Simply compensating the women with money was not enough. Women who are raped should “throw the money at Mayawati’s face and tell her ‘you should also be raped and I will give you 10 million rupees.”
On 11 May 2011, she was detained by the Meerut police from the Bhatta Parsaul village of western Uttar Pradesh along with her fellow leaders Rahul Gandhi and Digvijay Singh. When they were arrested by the police, they were attending an agitation protest organised by the local farmers criticising the policies of the state government. The following day, a top police official confirmed their arrest and stated in a media conference that the trio were produced to a local court for further proceedings.
- Rita Bahuguna Joshi is an active advocate for the rights of Indian women as she has served as the President of the All India Mahila Congress from 2003 to 2008. She is an active participant in several Women’s Movements and is the pioneer in organising many seminars, campaigns, and demonstrations for the upliftment of women. In 1991-92, she was the leader of the campaign ‘Movement for Reservation for Women in Local Bodies’ in Uttar Pradesh. In 2009, she was detained by the Uttar Pradesh police, when she was protesting in one of such campaigns to fight the injustices against women, especially the increasing incidents of rape of women in Uttar Pradesh.
- Rita Bahuguna Joshi was serving as a Bharatiya Janata Party Lok Sabha Member of Parliament from the Prayagraj constituency before she was appointed as a minister in Yogi Adityanath‘s government in 2019.
- Rita Bahuguna Joshi serves as the Chairperson of the JCSA Committee and the Convenor-Committee of Parliament.
- On 20 October 2020, Rita Bahuguna Joshi was honoured with a United Nations Award of Excellence for being among the “Most Distinguished Women Mayor in South Asia.” She was the recipient of the same award at Phitsanulok, Thailand in June 2001.
- Rita Bahuguna Joshi works as a professor at the University of Allahabad, where she teaches Medieval and Modern History.
- During the 2020 Diwali festival, Rita Bahuguna Joshi suffered a personal tragedy. Her six-year-old granddaughter, Kiya Joshi, died in Prayagraj after she sustained sixty per cent burns while playing with Diyas on the terrace of the house.
- In January 2022, Rita Bahuguna Joshi requested an assembly seat for her only son, Mayank Joshi from the Lucknow constituency. In a media conference, she stated that she would leave her seat as an MP if BJP did not allow two seats from the same family.
If BJP is giving ticket on the principle that only one person from a family will get it, then I am ready to give up the post of Lok Sabha MP for my son.” Jansatta
However, in March 2022, Mayank Joshi joined the Samajwadi Party (SP) when BJP refused to grant him a ticket before the last phase of the Uttar Pradesh elections despite Rita Bahuguna Joshi’s offering to resign from her post taking into consideration the Bharatiya Janata Party’s one-family-one-ticket rule.
- Apart from being a politician, Rita Bahuguna Joshi is also an accomplished author. Before joining the Indian National Congress, she wrote two history books. On 23 May 2022, she published a book on her father and former U.P. chief minister late Hemwati Nandan Bahuguna. The book is titled “Hemvati Nandan Bahuguna: A political crusader.” Soon after the release of the book, at a media conference, Rita Joshi talked about her research for the book. She said,
I interviewed around 100 people and gathered newspaper clippings and documents from my father’s wardrobes, and the process took about 4-5 years. After that, I began writing. As a daughter, I had the opportunity to closely observe him.”
- On 21 October 2022, after ten years, Rita Bahuguna Joshi was issued an arrest warrant in the case of violation of the model code of conduct in the assembly elections as a Congress candidate in 2012. Rita Bahuguna Joshi was registered in a case of violating the model code of conduct of elections. She was accused of campaigning after the closure of the 2012 assembly elections as a Congress candidate. On 17 February 2012, the static magistrate Mukesh Chaturvedi filed a case at Krishna Nagar police station against her. On March 2012, a charge sheet was filed against Rita Bahuguna by the elections investigating officer Ramsahai Dwivedi. Live Hindustan
- According to Rita Bahuguna Joshi, she likes reading books and travelling to distant places in her leisure time. Her favourite pastime activities include listening to light music and watching films.