|Full Name||Vajubhai Rudabhai Vala|
|Famous For||Being the Governor of Karnataka from 2014 to 2019|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 173 cm
in meters- 1.73 m
in feet inches- 5’ 8”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 80 kg
in pounds- 176 lbs
|Political Party||Former member of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)|
|Political Journey||1975: Municipal Councilor of Rajkot, till 1993
1983: Mayor, Rajkot Municipal Corporation, till 1988
1985: Member of Legislative Assembly, 69, Rajkot-2, till 2012
1990: Urban Development and Housing Minister of Gujarat
1991: Mayor, Rajkot Municipal Corporation, till 1993
1995: Energy, Petrochemicals and Co-operation Minister of Gujarat
1995: Finance & Energy Minister of Gujarat, till 1996
1996: President of the Gujarat State BJP, till 1998
1998: Finance, Revenue and Petrochemicals Minister of Gujarat, till 1999
1999: Finance, Revenue Minister of Gujarat, till 2001
2002: Finance Minister of Gujarat, till 2007
2005: President of the Gujarat State BJP, till 2006
2008: Finance, Labour & Employment, Transport Minister of Gujarat, till 2012
2012: Appointed to perform the duties of the Speaker of the Gujarat Legislative Assembly, till 2013
2013: Chosen as the Speaker of the Gujarat Legislative Assembly
2014: Governor of Karnataka, till 2019
|Date of Birth||23 January 1937|
|Age (as in 2018)||81 Years|
|Birthplace||Rajkot, Gujarat, India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Aquarius|
|Hometown||Gandhinagar, Gujarat, India|
|College/University||Dharmendrasinhji Arts College, Rajkot|
|Address||7, Kotes Nagar, Kalawad Road, Rajkot|
|Awards/Achievements||2006: 'Best Citizen Of India Award' by International Publishing House, New Delhi. He is the first Gujarati to have won this award.
2007: 'Bharat Gaurav Award' by India International Friendship Society, New Delhi
|Controversies||• In March 2015, he walked out, while the national anthem was being played at the oath ceremony of a Karnataka High Court judge at Raj Bhawan. Though he later said that it was purely unintentional and he stopped walking off when he realized that the anthem was still being played.
• In 2016, he gave a controversial statement when he humorously urged the college girls to stop using "fancy clothes and lipstick" in education institutes, as he thought institutes are not meant for "beauty contests."
• In May 2018, when Karnataka headed for a hung assembly after the results of the Karnataka assembly election, Congress and the JD(S) came together to form a coalition government. But Governor Vala invited BJP first to form the government, as they came out to be the single-largest party with 104 seats, and gave BJP 15 days to prove its majority on the floor of the assembly. The decision of the Governor to invite the BJP first was criticized by the Congress and JD(S) who called it biased and not fair. Governor's decision was challenged by the Congress in the midnight of 16 May, after they approached the Supreme Court seeking an immediate intervention by the Chief Justice of India Dipak Misra to stop B.S. Yeddyurappa's swearing-in scheduled on 17 May, to which the Supreme Court denied.
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Parents||Father- Rudabhai Vala
Mother- Name Not Known
|Favourite Politician(s)||Atal Bihari Vajpayee, Narendra Modi|
|Salary (approx.)||₹3.5 lakh/month + Other allowances (as in 2018)|
|Net Worth (approx.)||₹60 lakh (as in 2018)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Vajubhai Vala
- Vajubhai was born into a middle-class Gujarati family.
- Since his teenage years, he developed an interest in politics and possessed leadership qualities.
- During his high schooling, he became a Swayam Sevak of Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) and used to resolve the issues of his schoolmates.
- He continued his leadership qualities to his college where he became the Secretary of Gymkhana of his college.
- He did various works for the welfare of the underprivileged people of the society.
- He started his career with one of the biggest co-operative banks of India, Shri Rajkot Nagrik Sahakari Bank, and served as a Chairman from 1975 to 1976, 1981 to 1982, and from 1987 to 1990.
- He took part in protests against Indira Gandhi’s Emergency of 1975, and was jailed for 11 months.
- On the recommendation of the Vajubai Vala Committee, Octroi (a local tax collected on various articles) was removed by the Government of Gujarat in 2007.
📢⚡TRENDING: Watch the biography of REAL "Gully Boy" - Naezy⚡