Hometown: Bhind, Madhya Pradesh
Education: M.A. (History)
Age: 48 Years
|Real Name||Pragya Singh Thakur|
|Profession(s)||Politician, Beggar The Hindu|
|Famous For||Being a Hindu Hardliner and contesting the 2019 Lok Sabha Election against Congress leader, Digvijaya Singh|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 165 cm
in meters- 1.65 m
in feet inches- 5’ 5”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 70 kg
in pounds- 154 lbs
|Political Party||Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)
|Political Journey||• During her college days, she was an active member of Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) and later joined Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS).
• In the 2019 General Elections, she won against Congress leader, Digvijaya Singh from the Bhopal Constituency.
|Biggest Rival||Digvijaya Singh|
|Date of Birth||Year- 1971|
|Age (as in 2019)||48 Years|
|Birthplace||Bhind, Madhya Pradesh, India|
|Hometown||Bhind, Madhya Pradesh, India|
|College||A college in Lahar village in Bhind district of Madhya Pradesh|
|Educational Qualification||M.A. (History)|
|Hobbies||Reading, Bike riding, Travelling|
|Controversies||• On 29 September 2008, three bombs went off in the state of Gujarat and Maharashtra. Two of them exploded near a Mosque in Malegaon, a city in Maharashtra in which 6 people were killed and more than 100 got injured. Sadhvi Pragya was arrested and got accused of it; she was imprisoned for 9 years. However, after the trial, she was given a clean chit and acquitted of all charges in 2017. India Today
• BJP MLA, Sunil Joshi proposed her to marry but she refused and later, Sunil Joshi was shot dead in December 2007. She along with seven others was held responsible for the murder and was arrested soon. Later, she was freed from the charge in 2017. TOI
• She remains in limelight for her controversial and provocative speeches. During a speech in Gujarat in 2018, she referred to Sonia Gandhi as 'Italy Wali Bai' (Maid from Italy).
• During the campaigning for the 2019 General Election, she was banned by the election commission from campaigning for 72 hours. The ban was imposed on her because she was seeking votes on religious lines because of which she breached the Model Code of Conduct (MCC). She made a comment on Babri Mosque demolition. She said, "We removed a blot from the country. We went to demolish the structure. I feel extremely proud that God gave me this opportunity and I could do that. We will make sure a Ram temple is constructed at that site." The News Minute
• In May 2019, she termed Nathuram Godse (Assassin of Mahatma Gandhi) a patriot. On her comment, Prime Minister, Narendra Modi said that he would never be able to forgive Pragya Thakur for insulting Mahatma Gandhi. Hindustan Times
• In July 2019, Pragya Thakur said to BJP workers at Sehore, Madhya Pradesh, "We haven't been elected to clean your drains, ok? We haven't been elected to clean your toilets, please understand. The work for which I have been elected, I will do honestly, I have said that before and I will say it again." Over this comment, she was denounced heavily by the party. NDTV
• In August 2019, she stoked a controversy by saying that the opposition was using 'Marak Shakti' to harm BJP leaders. Her statement came after the demise of prominent politicians like Arun Jaitley and Sushma Swaraj in a single month. India Today
|Relationships & More|
|Parents||Father- C.P. Thakur (Owned an Ayurvedic Clinic)
Mother- Sarla Devi
Sisters- Upama and 2 others
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sadhvi Pragya
- Her father was an Ayurvedic doctor in Lahar, Bhind, Madhya Pradesh. Her father was closely connected to Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS).
- Apart from being an Ayurvedic doctor, her father had also served the government as a ‘demonstrator’ in the agriculture department.
- Under the influence of her father, Pragya joined RSS and became active in state politics.
- According to her father, she never watched a single movie. Rediff
- During her college days, she was considered a good orator and her speech used to influence thousands of people. She has also worked in Durga Vahini, women’s wing of the Vishwa Hindu Parishad.
- Pragya decided to remain unmarried and became close to Saints. She made her hermitage in Surat, Gujarat and travelled the whole country from there.
- During the polls, she became the star campaigner of BJP. During the tenure of UPA government, she was accused of conspiring a bomb attack in Malegaon and got imprisoned for 9 years. According to her, she was beaten and highly tortured by the Police officers. On this allegation, she said,
“I’m victim of Chidambaram’s ‘saffron terrorism’ bogey.” EconomicTimes
- On 19 April 2019, she sparked another controversy by saying that 26/11 hero Hemant Karkare died because she had “cursed” him. ” According to her, when she was arrested in the Malegaon Blast case, Hemant was told to leave her; as he had no solid evidence against her, but he refused then she cursed him and was killed in the terrorist attack.
References/Sources: [ + ]