|Physical Stats & More
|in centimeters- 165 cm
in meters- 1.65 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 5”
|in kilograms- 55 kg
in pounds- 120 lbs
|Figure Measurements (approx.)
• Lollywood (Pakistani Films): Zindagi Kitni Haseen Hay 2016 as 'Maira Khan'
• Bollywood: Mom 2017 as 'Arya'
TV: Nadaaniyaan 2009 as 'Sumbul'
Web series: Dhoop Ki Deewar 2021 as 'Sarah Sher Ali'
|Awards, Honours, Achievements
|• 2017: Hum Award for Best Actress for the television serial ‘Gul-e-Rana’
• 2018: Hum Award for Best Actress Popular for the television serial ‘Yaqeen Ka Safar’
• 2018: Hum Award for Best Onscreen Couple Popular for the television serial ‘Yaqeen Ka Safar’
• 2018: Hum Award for Best Onscreen Couple Popular for the television serial ‘O Rangreza’
• 2018: Hum Award for Best Actor Popular for the television serial ‘O Rangreza’
• 2020: DIAFA Award (for contribution to film and television)
|Date of Birth
|17 January 1994 (Monday)
|Age (as of 2023)
|Relationships & More
|14 March 2020
|Ahad Raza Mir (Actor,Singer)
|Father- Syed Ali (Businessman)
Mother- Rahat (Homemaker)
|Brother- Ali Syed (Engineer)
Sister- Saboor Aly (Actress)
|Shah Rukh Khan, Shaan Shahid, Imran Abbas, Fawad Khan, Nauman Ijaz
|Sania Saeed, Nadia Jamil, Sanam Saeed, Yumna Zaidi
|Kishore Kumar, Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, Shreya Ghoshal
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sajal Ali
- Sajal Aly is a Pakistani actress and model. She is best known for delivering very challenging and extraordinary roles in her drama serials and films. Some of her popular television projects include Mere Qatil Mere Dildar, Nanhi, Gohar-e-Nayab, Sannata, Gul-e-Rana, Yaqeen Ka Safar, and O Rangreza.
- She was born and brought up in a muslim family in Lahore, Pakistan. She is also a dedicated follower of Islam. Sajal Ali along with her family performed the Umrah at the holy place of Mecca in 2017, pictures of which she shred with her fans through her social media accounts .The Umrah is an Islamic pilgrimage to Mecca and muslims from all across the world aspires to perform Umrah according to the Islamic lunar calendar.
- Sajal did not had a good bond with her father for a long time during her childhood. According to Sajal, her father got married to another woman and left her mother and siblings after his marriage. therefore her family faced huge emotional and financial crises. To help her family in recover from the situation, she started working at a very young age to provide financial stability to her family. Recalling the situation, Sajal said,
My mother had a difficult time when my father left. I worked hard and became financially stable and told him we didn’t need his money. I was angry ‘kaisay doosri shaadi kar li!’ After my mother’s death, I eventually learned to let go. My father speaks regularly with us now and is very proud of me.”
- Sajal Aly made her acting debut in the year 2009 through a comedy sitcom ‘Nadaaniyaan,’ that aired on Geo TV. She played the character of Sumbul in the opposite Danish Nawaz, Yasir Nawaz, Nida Yasir, Mirza Shahi, and Mohib Mirza in Yasir Nawaz directed drama. Next, she appeared on screen as Afreen in Nain Maniar directed ARY Digital drama serial ‘Mehmoodabad Ki Malkain.’
- In 2011, Sajal featured in Express Entertainment’s drama serial ‘Chandni’ and played her first lead character of Chandni for which she received huge appreciation from the audience. Following thes, she was became part of one of the most watched TV serial with the highest TRP of that time ‘Meri Ladli.’ She played the character Esha in Nadeem Siddique directed ARY Digital drama serial. The lead cast of the drama included Urwa Hocane, Sami Khan, Ahsan Khan, Faizan Khawaja, and Maria Wasti. In the same year, she also became part of many other hit serial including Ahmed Habib Ki Betiyan and Mastana Mahi.
- Sajal Aly got the breakthrough of her career after she appeared onscreen as Shifa in Hum TV’s romantic drama ‘Meray Qatil Meray Dildar.’ Working in the drama, she earned the opportunity to work with popular actors like Mehwish Hayat, Ahsan Khan, Adnan Siddiqui, and Shagufta Ejaz. Sajal’s performance as Shifa received huge critical acclaims and she received her first nomination for Hum Award in Best Supporting Actress category.
- In 2012, Sajal played the role of Hadiqa in ‘Sasural Ke Rang Anokhay,’ a story of love and quarrels between the family members. Lter she appeared in dramas including ‘Mohabbat Jaye Bhar Mein’ as Neeli, ‘Mere Khuwabon Ka Diya’ as Raafia, ‘Sitamgar’ as Zoya, ‘Quddusi Sahab Ki Bewah’ as Farzana, and ‘Nanhi’ as Nanhi. Her most popular drama of the 2013 was proved to be Geo Entertainment’s thriller drama ‘Nanhi’ in which she played the lead character of Nanhi. Her versatile acting skills that she showcased in the drama earned her two award nominations which were Lux Style Award for Best Television Actress – Satellite and Pakistan Media Awards for Best Drama Actress.
- Sajal Aly, in 2013, grabbed the attention of the Pakistani audience with her performance in Sakina Samo directed romantic drama serial ‘Gohar-e-Nayab.’ She played the character named Gohar (Gori) opposite Ahsan Khan, Zaheen Tahira, Mohsin Gillani, and Azra Mohyeddin in the drama and received huge critical acclaims for it. She also nominated for Pakistan Media Awards for Best Drama Actress. Some other shows of Sajal for the year were Qudrat, Aasmanon Pay Likha, Kahani Raima Aur Manahil Ki, Ladoon Mein Pali, and Chup Raho.
- Sajal Aly made her Pakistani film debut in in 2016 with Anjum Shahzad directed Pakistani romantic drama film ‘Zindagi Kitni Haseen Hay.’ The film was a remake of the 1979 American film ‘Kramer vs. Kramer’ and showcases the story of a young romantic couple and the challenges they face while raising their child together. The lead cast of the film included Feroze Khan, Nabeel Zuberi, Adil Fayaz, Shafqat Cheema, and many more. Sajal Aly played the role of Mahira Khan in the film and received huge appreciation for it. Sajal Aly several nominations for her acting skills in the film including the Lux Style Awards for Best Film Actress, Galaxy Lollywood Awards for Best Actor in a Leading Role Female, Galaxy Lollywood Awards for Best Female Debut, and Nigar Awards for Best Actress.
- Sajal Aly improved her acting skills with each passing role and she was counted among the finest actress of Pakistani television industry. She won her first award in 2017, which was the Best Female Actor (Jury) for her performance in the drama serial ‘Gul-e-Rana.’ Later, she aced many other drama serial with her excellent acting skills which included ‘Mera Yaar Miladay’ as Mushk and ‘Yaqeen Ka Safar’ as Zubia. Post her award winning ceremony, when media asked her about how she manages to deliver such fine roles, she narrated,
I am not sure if there’s a specific secret but since the early days of my career I have developed this habit of deep diving into the lifestyle of the characters I play during the shooting stage of a film or drama. I take this exercise so seriously that I often ask my team to call me by the character’s name that I am playing. I often dress and talk in the same manner even when I am at home to keep the momentum building and to prevent any gaps or breaks for the character that I am playing during the filming process.”
- ‘Yaqeen Ka Safar’ is considered to be the one of the best performance of Sajal Aly’s career. She played Dr. Zubiya Khalil aka née Asfandyar Ali Khan, a female protagonists who likes to live in her life following her father’s footsteps leaving behind the hardships and struggles she has been in her life. 2018 proved to be a professionally successful year for Sajal’s career. She bagged a total of four Hum Awards awards and earned several nominations for her performances in various dramas and films. She won the Best Actress Popular and Best Onscreen Couple Popular with Ahad Raza Mir for her performance in ‘Yaqeen Ka Safar,’ and Best Actress and Best Onscreen Couple Popular with Bilal Abbas Khan for ‘O Rangreza.’ ‘O Rangreza’ brought immense popularity to Sajal for her character of Sassi which she portrayed for the drama opposite Noman Ijaz, Sana Fakhar, Bilal Abbas Khan, Irsa Ghazal, and Sohail Tariq.
- After establishing herself as a lead actress in Pakistani television and film industry, Sajal Aly made her entrance in the Bollywood in 2017. She made her debut through Ravi Udyawar directed Hindi-language crime thriller film ‘Mom’ opposite veteran Indian actress Sridevi. The film was theatrically released in four languages on 7 July 2017 and was a critical as well commercial success. Sajal Aly portrayed the role of Aarya Sabarwal, Sridevi’s step-daughter who has been brutally raped at the party after rejecting some boy. Aly was accompanied by another Pakistani actor Adnan Siddiqui for the film and she received huge critical acclaims for her performance. Sajal, while talking about her Bollywood debut said,
Bollywood was never my dream, in all honesty. I was happy working here and that was not something I was working towards but this story moved me. I always knew that if I worked in Bollywood, I have certain limitations and boundaries that I would not want to cross and this movie was about a sensitive topic, everything was handled so tastefully.”
- Sajal Aly, while shooting for the Bollywood movie ‘Mom’ developed a great bond with the late actress Sridevi. Not only does she shared the good bond with Sridevi but also with her family. Sajal Aly’s pictures with the late actress daughter Janhvi Kapoor often goes viral on the internet. During an interview she said that the late actress treated her as her own daughter and kept worrying about her jackets and blankets while they were shooting Georgia. Sajal Aly narrated the experience as,
Of course, she was such a great actress. I feel blessed that I got the opportunity to work with her and learn from her. I was always her fan and it was a dream come true for me to act alongside her. She was just like my mom, she took such good care of me, especially when we were shooting in Georgia and I used to feel cold. She used to fuss over me, and worry about my jackets and blankets. She gave me a lot of strength and courage when my mother was hospitalized. Un kay saath dil ka rishta bun gaya that. I learnt a lot from her, because she was such a fantastic actor and human being.”
- Sajal Aly has been honoured with International Icon award at Distinctive International Arab Festivals Award held in 2020. Her contribution to Pakistan film and television industry is highly appreciated by the critics. Sajal Aly in her post winning speech said,
Assalamualaikum everyone, first of all I want to say that I am really honoured to be here with such amazing actors and amazing people. I’m really honoured to be here. Honoured to be here with such amazing actors and amazing people. I’m extremely thankful to all my fans for believing in me. Thank you DIAFA for this honour.”
She proudly shared the good news with her fans and followers through a social media post. She caption the picture as,
This award is special to me not just as an artist, but as a proud Pakistani. Thank you #DIAFA and thank you Dubai for honouring artists from around the world.”
- Sajal Aly is married to Ahad Raza Mir, a Pakistani television and film actor, music producer, and singer. He is the son of Samra Raza Mir and Asif Raza Mir. Asif Raza is a veteran actor and producer of the Pakistani film and television industry. The engagement ceremony of Sajal and Ahad took place on 10 June 2019, which was announced by the couple through some social media posts. Sajal Aly captioned her engagement picture on Instagram as,
Here’s to new beginnings. Today we are happy to announce that with the blessings of our families we are officially engaged. Our special day will be even more special with the love and prayers of our family, friends, and fans. — Ahad & Sajal.”
- Sajal Aly and Asif Raza Mir got married to each other on 14 March 2020 in Abu Dhabi, The wedding ceremony took place in the presence of only a few family members and close friends. The couple announced their wedding by posting their wedding picture on different social media platforms. Both, Sajal and Asif, likes to keep their personal life private and when Sajal Aly was asked about it, she said,
Ahad and I both feel that our private life is not for public consumption. Additionally, this year when we got married, the situation around the world wasn’t too favourable. Because of the virus, people have suffered losses of life and health. Amidst all this, I don’t think it would be wise to flash all those pictures of excursions and celebrations. My prayers are for all those who are suffering in these times.”
- In January 2022, Sajal Aly and Ahad Raza Mir were rumoured to be getting separated only after a year of their marriage. The rumours started coming after Ahad was not seen attending Sajal Aly’s sister, Saboor Aly’s wedding festivities, instead he attended some other wedding in Dubai with his parents. But Sajal shut the rumours by posting a romantic picture of herself with her husband on Instagram story.
- In 2021, Sajal appeared on the silver screen as Zara in Urdu-language drama Pakistani film ‘Khel Khel Mein’ opposite Bilal Abbas Khan, Javed Sheikh, Marina Khan, and Manzar Sehbai. The film was written and directed by Fizza Ali Meerza and the film tells the story of ever growing myths, mystery and mistrust after the Surrender of Pakistan.
- Apart from acting in television dramas and films, Sajal Aly has also acted in a number of telefilms. She made her telefilm debut in 2012 through Express Entertainment’s “O Meri Billi,” in which she played the role of Neelum. Next, she did a telefilm named ‘Sitara Ki Muhabbat’ and got recognition for it. Later, she appeared in several telefilms including Do Dant Ki Mohabbat, Kya Pyar Ho Gaya, Doosra Naam, and Yaqeen. Aly’s performance as Maha, a single mother who lived with her fifteen-year-old daughter, in Hum TV’s drama ‘Behadd’ gained huge attention from the Pakistani audience, which aired in the year 2013. Later, she also became part of some other commercially successful telefilms like Band Baj Gaya, Bakht Bari, Yaqeen, Yoon Hum Miley. and many more.
- According to the sources, Sajal Aly has completed shooting for her debut Hollywood film “What’s Love Got to Do With It?,” which is announced to be released in 2022. Shekhar Kapur directed British romantic comedy film features Lily James, Emma Thompson, Sajal Ali, Shazad Latif, Rob Brydon, Shabana Azmi, and Asim Chaudhry in lead roles. Reportedly, Sajal Aly would be seen playing the character named Zoya in the film. During a media interaction, when Sajal Aly was asked about her choice of working in Hollywood, she replied,I have the strength and energy to do all this work right now and I may not be able to do so one day. There are new people coming in and I can’t get complacent and miss out on the opportunity to work with so many great teams and directors.”
- Sajal Aly was rumoured to have bagged her role in the Hollywood film “What’s Love Got To Do With It?” because of her father-in-law Asif Raza Mir’s connections in the industry but Aly denied all the allegations and said,
No, I have a manager who lines up potential international projects for me. My husband, actor Ahad Raza Mir, filmed my audition and, once it was emailed to the movie’s team, it got approved.”
- Sajal Aly, during a media interaction revealed that she was offered a major lead role in some Hollywood movie, but she rejected the film only because she had to enact bold scenes for the film for which she was not at all comfortable. Aly opts to work under the conditions where she does not have to film even a single bold shot. Talking about it, she said,
I was also offered the title role in another Hollywood movie and the story was very exciting. However, there was a single, very bold scene in the movie that I knew I couldn’t do. Even if I managed to do so, the people of my country would have connected that scene with me. I wouldn’t want to disillusion them like that.”
- Sajal Aly has worked in different film industries across the world including Lollywood, Bollywood, and also Hollywood. During the media interaction, when she was asked about the difference she witnessed while working in different industries she said,
There is really no difference except that, in Pakistan, we are working with smaller budgets. This means that we may have to make an extra effort and, sometimes, I may have to extend favours by working a few extra hours. That’s the only difference.”
- Sajal, during a media interaction, revealed that she prefers to never see her own dramas or films herself as she fears of not delivering the best of her performance in it. Talking about the secret she said,
I never see myself on screen because it disturbs me and I find too many flaws but, some days ago, I decided to watch my drama O Rangreza. I have been working so hard and so consistently that I needed to take a break and remind myself of the reason why I love acting. The drama came as such a surprise to me. I kept remarking to my sister Saboor that that was me on screen!”
- Sajal Aly has been working in both films and television for more than a decade, so when asked about her choice of workspace she prefers more, she replied,
I think cinema allows the actor to move into more of a fantasy world while TV is closer to reality. I am attached to TV more at this point, and I think that our cinema needs to improve. I also think that professionals who know the craft need to start focusing on Pakistan’s film industry rather than people who are just dabbling with it for fun.”
She further added,
I have been in the industry for almost a decade now and being on sets really is like a second home to me. I enjoy every single part and detail of my profession; hence I don’t take it as a demanding work schedule, but I see it instead as a routine and a very important part of my life.”
- In April 2023, she talked about her admiration for the late Bollywood actress Sridevi and said that she was like a mother figure to her. Aly said,
She was like my mother. It was not just a work relationship that we had. It was something more than that. She met my mother when she came to India when I was shooting Mom. Before the release of the film, my mother left us and then after a few months, Srideviji really left us. It was a very emotional bond, We used to talk on phone for hours, where she used to guide me just like her daughter. I really miss her.” Hindustan Times
Sajal Aly worked with Sridevi in the Hindi film Mom (2017).