|Real Name||Shahnaz Husain|
|Famous For||Ayurvedic Beauty Products|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Hair Colour||Dark Copper Golden Blonde|
|Date of Birth||1940|
|School||La Martiniere, Lucknow, India|
|College/University||Queen Mary’s, Allahabad|
|Educational Qualification||Not known|
|Hobbies||Writing Poems, Reading, Painting|
|Awards||1996: Success Magazine's "World's Greatest Woman Entrepreneur" award (becoming the first woman to receive the award in 105 years)
2006: Padma Shri by the late President APJ Abdul Kalam
2009: Leonardo da Vinci Diamond Award by International Biographical Centre at Washington DC
2011: Lifetime Leadership Achievement Award at the 2nd Annual Women In Leadership (WIL) Forum
2012: Outstanding Ayurvedic Innovation Award at the House of Commons in the British Parliament
2012: "Woman of the Year" Asian Achievers Award from Asian Business Publications Ltd (ABPL)
2012: “Outstanding Contribution in Ayurveda and Plant Cosmetics” at the Olympia Beauty Show in London
2014: Golden Peacock Entrepreneurial Leadership Award in London for Ayurvedic Innovation
2015: Entrepreneur India Award for Outstanding Ayurvedic Innovations from Entrepreneur Media India, FICCI, NEN and NASSCOM
2017: “Woman Super Achiever” Award in Mumbai, sponsored by Femina
|Controversy||A case of dowry torture was lodged against her by Rabiya Hussain, widow of Shahnaz's only son Sameer Hussain|
|Boys, Affairs and More|
|Husband/Spouse||First Husband: Late Nasir Husain (Indian Diplomat)
Second Husband: Raj Kumar Puri (1998-Present)
|Children||Son- Sameer Husain (a rap singer, died after falling from 3rd floor in 2008 )
Daughter- Nelofar Husain Currimbhoy (Head of the marketing and distribution network of the Shahnaz Husain Group)
|Parents||Father- Justice Nasir Ullah Beg (a former Chief Justice of the Allahabad High Court)
Mother- Sayeeda Begum (daughter of the commander-in-chief of the Hyderabad army)
|Favourite Food||Dal, Chapati, Biryani|
|Favourite Book||The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini|
|Net Worth (approx.)||₹250 crore|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Shahnaz Husain
- Does Shahnaz Husain smoke?: Not Known
- Does Shahnaz Husain drink alcohol?: Not Known
- Shahnaz’s daughter – Nelofar Husain Currimbhoy (named after the Princess of Hyderabad) is known amongst the business fraternity for her interests in Research and Development and heads the marketing and distribution network of the group. Nelofar Husain has equally played a vital role in helping the Shahnaz Husain Group climb the ladders of success.
- She completed her 10 years training in cosmetic therapy and cosmetology from leading institutions of the West, such as Helena Rubinstein, Swarzkopf, Christine Valmy, Lancome and Lean of Copenhagen. There she came across instances of damage caused by chemical treatments. In a way, this changed the course of her life and career.
- When her husband was posted in Tehran as head of Foreign Trade with the STC, she even worked as a Beauty Editor of Iran Tribune to raise funds for her higher education.
- She was the first to introduce a totally new concept of Ayurvedic Care and Cure worldwide, with a universal appeal and application.
- In 1971, she set up her own herbal clinic at her home, with very petty capital investment, formulating products for skin, hair and body care, based on the Ayurvedic system.
- She has achieved extraordinary international acclaim for her practical application of Ayurveda, the ancient Indian system of herbal healing.
- Almost 40 years ago, she embraced the principle of Ayurveda, based on an integrated system of clinical treatments and product ranges. She has been a constant researcher for a better alternative. Her study and research of Ayurveda, the Indian holistic system of herbal healing, strengthened her belief in nature, and she believes that it could offer the ideal answers to protective, preventive and even corrective cosmetic-care.
- She fought alone against big brands in the market, which makes her story an unprecedented tale of success. “I sold a 5000-year old civilization in a jar,” says Shahnaz.
- She has innovated around 375 formulations for general beauty care, treatment of skin and scalp disorders, health and fitness. They have become breakthroughs in the Ayurvedic care. The ingredients comprise herb, essential oils, flower and fruit extracts, and other natural substances.
- She has launched some revolutionary products, which include the 24 Carat Gold Range, Pearl Cream and Mask, Oxygen Cream, Diamond Collection, Plant Stem Cells, the Platinum Range, the revolutionary Telomere DNA Defence and Black Diamond ranges.
- Notably, the Shahnaz Husain Group has been established in more than 138 countries, where it has franchise salons, direct product distributors, and beauty institutes. According to Shahnaz Husain, Founder & Chairperson of The Shahnaz Husain Group, “We are expanding our footprints across the globe. We will take Ayurveda and Brand India to more countries within a year.”
- Known to be a very socially considerate woman, she has been able to persuade hundreds of ordinary house-wives to open salons at their home, training them in beauty and offering the Shahnaz Herbal name, so that they could become financially independent.
- She has been determined in empowering the less privileged section of the society through her free beauty training school ‘Shamute’ for speech, hearing impaired and visually challenged students. She has also published a beauty book, which has been put in Braille. She also helps in providing career opportunities to such physically challenged students. According to her, “Empowering lives has been the motivation for our endeavours.”
- One of her greatest achievements was attending the U.S. President Barack Obama’s Summit of Entrepreneurs twice a year in 2010, first in Washington DC in April and then in Mumbai in November, during the President’s visit to India.
- Despite being one of the most successful entrepreneurs, she had her share of ups and downs in life. She lost her first husband whom she loved a lot and another trauma struck her when her son “Sameer Husain” died too after falling from 3rd floor at his in-Laws’ place in 2008. It was then, her daughter became the only pillar of strength and brought her mother and her second husband, R. K. Puri, together.
- Today, her name has become the brand and she is herself the brand ambassador, she leads an organization “Shahnaz Husain Group” (one of the India’s largest organizations in this field) which has over 600 franchise clinics, shops, schools, and spas worldwide, as well as Ayurvedic formulations for skin, hair, body and health care.