Sudha Chandran Age, Husband, Biography, Family & More
Age: 57 Years
Profession: Actor & Dancer
Husband: Ravi Dang
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sudha Chandran
- Does Sudha Chandran smoke?: No
- Sudha started dancing when was 3 and a half years old.
- She stood 1st in her 10th standard exams with 80%, but instead of taking science, she chose arts to pursue her career in dance.
- Unfortunately, she met with a road accident at the age of 17 in 1981 while coming back from Madras to Tiruchirapalli with her parents. It damaged her leg because of gangrene, due to which she lost a leg.
- She overcome her disability with the help of a prosthetic ‘Jaipur Foot’, took 3 years of physiotherapy to recover.
- Her comeback public dance performance in Mumbai on 28 January 1984, was so much appreciated that she was counted among India’s best Bharatnatyam dancers. After this, she started getting invitations for shows from all over the world.
- She started her acting career with a Telugu film Mayuri (1986), which was based upon her real life story.
- Same year, she won the National Film Award – Special Jury Award for Mayuri.
- She is the founder of Sudha Chandran Academy of Dance, which has many branches in Mumbai and Pune.
- She is the vice-chairperson of National Association of Disabled Enterprises (NADE).
- On 22 October 2021, made a video statement on social media in which she requested Prime Minister Narendra Modi to make provision for a certificate or a card that could be easily displayed by specially-abled people at airports and other public places for easy security checks. The statement came from the dancer after she was asked to remove her artificial limb during the security check at an airport. In her video statement, the actress said it was very “disheartening and humiliating” for her when she was asked by a lady personnel of the CISF to remove her prosthetic limb. The Hindu Later, the CISF took to Twitter to apologize the noted actor and dancer –
We are extremely sorry for the inconvenience caused to Ms. Sudhaa Chandran. As per protocol, prosthetics are to be removed for security checks only under exceptional circumstances. We will examine why the lady personnel concerned requested Ms. Sudhaa Chandran to remove the prosthetics. We assure Ms. Sudhaa Chandran that all our personnel will be sensitised again on the protocols so that no inconvenience is caused to travelling passengers.”
View this post on Instagram