Hometown: Delhi, India
Age: 67 Years
Father: Brijmohan Lall Munjal
|Known for||Being the Executive Chairman and Whole-time Director of Hero MotoCorp|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Hair Colour||Salt and Pepper|
|Positions held||Chairman & Director
Hero FinCorp Limited
• Munjal Acme Packaging Systems Private Limited
• Pan Mining Private Limited
• Bahadur Chand Investments Private Limited
• Hero InvestCorp Private Limited
• Indian School of Business
• Hero Future Energies Global Limited
• Rockman Industries Limited
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• He is the recipient of the Lifetime Contribution Award from the Indian Golf Industry Association (IGIA).
• In February 2022, he received the All India Management Association (AIMA) JRD Tata Corporate Leadership Award for the Year 2021-22.
|Date of Birth||Year, 1956|
|Age (as of 2023)||67 Years|
|School||The Doon School, Uttarakhand|
|College/University||National Institute of Technology, Kurukshetra|
|Educational Qualification||Doctorate from the National Institute of Technology, Kurukshetra The Tribune|
|Hobbies||Travelling, Playing Golf, Swimming, Cycling, Driving, and Singing|
Hero Motocorp and its senior officials faced a case of cheating, forgery, and criminal conspiracy in 2014. The case was lodged following a Delhi court order. The senior officials of Hero Motor including Pawan Munjal accused of colluding with each other to wrongfully terminate a contract with a firm that was providing labor to the two-wheeler manufacturer. First Post
Income Tax Raid in Tax Evasion Case
In March 2022, the Income Tax Department conducted searches at Hero Motorcorp offices due to suspected tax evasion. They also conducted searches at Munjal's residence.
Enforcement Directorate Raid in Money Laundering Case
On 1 August 2023, the Enforcement Directorate conducted a raid at the house of Pawan Munjal in connection with an alleged money laundering case. Live Mint
Fake Bills Against Brains Logistics
An FIR was filed against Munjal and Hero MotoCorp employees at Vasant Kunj North Police Station in New Delhi on 5 October 2023 following a complaint regarding the creation of fake bills and false debit balances in the company’s financial records concerning Brains Logistics. As per the complaint, Hero MotoCorp had issued counterfeit bills totalling Rs. 5.9 crore for 2009 and 2010 against Brains Logistics. The Delhi High Court, on the other hand, stayed the criminal proceedings against Munjal and others in the case on 12 October 2023. Business Standard The share price of Hero MotoCorp fell by 2.75% after the case was registered against Munjal. Mint
Confiscation of Properties in Money Laundering Case: In November 2023, a complaint was filed against Pawan Munjal by the Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) for his alleged involvement in the illegal export of foreign exchange/currency from India. After the complaint, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) seized Munjal's properties valued at around Rs. 24.95 crore in Delhi under the provisions of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act, 2002. India Today
|Relationships & More|
|Wife/Spouse||Name Not Known
|Children||Son- Annuvrat Munjal
• Vasudha Munjal (the owner and founder of chocolate boutique chain Choko La)
• Supriya Munjal
|Parents||Father- Brijmohan Lall Munjal (founder of Hero MotoCorp; died in 2015)
Mother- Santosh Munjal (died in 2021)
Grandfather- Bahadur Chand Munjal
Grandmother- Thakur Devi Munjal
• Sunil Kant Munjal (Chairman Hero Enterprise)
• Suman Kant Munjal (Executive Chairman of Rockman Industries Ltd.)
• Late Raman Kant Munjal (businessman)
Sister- Geeta Anand (businesswoman)
|Net Worth (approx.)||As of May 2022, his net worth was approximately US$3.4 billion. Forbes|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Pawan Munjal
- Pawan Munjal is an Indian businessman. He is the chairman, managing director, and CEO of Hero MotoCorp, which is the world’s largest manufacturer of motorcycles and scooters. In 2017, India Today magazine ranked him 49th on its list of India’s 50 most powerful people.
- Hero Honda began its operations in 1984 as a partnership between Hero Cycles from India and Honda from Japan. After completing his graduation, Pawan Munjal began associating his father with Hero MotoCorp. However, after separating from Honda in 2011, Pawan led a global expansion with factories in Colombia and Bangladesh. Later, the company expanded its business to 40 countries around the world. In 2016-17, Pawan Munjal received a salary of Rs 59.66 crore. Hindustan Times
- Under his guidance, Hero MotoCorp achieved the prestigious title of the world’s largest motorcycle manufacturer in 2001. Munjal has led Hero MotoCorp in forming new partnerships with global brands like Harley-Davidson and Zero Motorcycles to create advanced and technology-driven mobility solutions.
- In 2019, Munjal was honoured with the highest recognition in the Asia-Pacific Golf industry by being inducted into the Asia-Pacific Golf Hall of Fame.
- Pawan Munjal, who previously served as President of the Professional Golfers Association of India (PGAI), is serving as the Chairman of the Asian PGA Tour Board of Directors in 2023. He is also an Honorary Board member of the Emirates Golf Federation.
- In March 2022, Pawan Munjal introduced Vida, Powered by Hero, a fresh identity for emerging mobility solutions, including upcoming Electric Vehicles (EV). In September 2022, Hero Future Energies, the group’s renewable energy arm, joined hands with global investment firm KKR to invest $450 million in increasing capacity.
- Apart from his role as the Chairman and Director of Hero Motocorp, Pawan Munjal is also a member of the Board of Directors in several other companies including Munjal Acme Packaging Systems Private Limited, Pan Mining Private Limited, Bahadur Chand Investments Private Limited, Hero InvestCorp Private Limited, Indian School of Business, Hero Future Energies Global Limited, and Rockman Industries Limited.
- Dr Munjal has served in executive roles at important Indian industry organizations including the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) and the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM).
- In August 2023, in connection with an alleged money laundering case, the Enforcement Directorate conducted a raid at the home of Hero MotoCorp chairman Pawan Munjal. Following the news, the company’s shares plunged by as much as 3%. The shares had previously reached their highest point in 52 weeks, touching Rs. 3,242.85 each on BSE on 1 August 2023.
- His daughter, Vasudha is the founder of ‘Choko La,’ a premium chocolate brand, and joined Hero’s board in April 2022.
- Besides being a successful business tycoon, Pawan Munjal is also passionate about music and travelling to distant places. He enjoys listening to music from the 60s-70s era and plays Golf during his leisure time.