Hometown: New Delhi
Marital Status: Married
Husband: Raja Bundela (Actor & Politician)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sushmita Mukherjee
- Does Sushmita Mukherjee smoke?: No
- Does Sushmita Mukherjee drink alcohol?: Not Known
- In 1980, after completing her post-graduation, she enrolled herself in the National School of Drama and learnt acting from 1980 to 1983. When she was around 15 years old, she joined Barry John’s Theatre Group.
- Sushmita is inspired by the Indian dramatist and theatre director Badal Sircar.
- Her parents wanted her to become a teacher or an IAS Officer.
- Sushmita Mukherjee made her debut in 1987 with “Yeh Woh Manzil To Nahin” alongside Naseeruddin Shah.
- She came into the spotlight when she appeared in the role of Kitty in the detective serial “Karamchand.”
- Sushmita Mukherjee is still remembered for her role of Kity in “Karamchand.” She said that people still refer to her as “Kitty.” Since she acted in the serial before her sons were born, they find it quite amusing when someone refers to her as “Kitty.”
- Such was her popularity that people used to turn up at her mother’s home to meet “Kitty.”
- She was not very happy when the role of “Kitty” landed to her. She was quoted saying, “Back in the day, when the role did come to me, I was very upset. Kitty is a bimbette and I, who had just moved to Bombay after studying at the National School of Drama (NSD), was not keen to play a ‘dumb’ character. I was extremely unhappy but took the role to survive in this city. But in retrospect, I am glad to have been a part of a landmark show that made me an overnight success.”
- Mukherjee has worked in more than 60 films. She is best-known for her portrayal of negative and supporting roles.
- She has appeared in the movies like ‘Main Zinda Hoon’, ‘Khalnayak’, ‘King Uncle’, ‘Sir’, ‘Dillagi’, ‘Kyaa Kool Hai Hum’, ‘Golmaal’, ‘Ugly Aur Pagli, ‘Dostana’, and many more.
- She remains busy most of the times since she does theatre with her husband Raja Bundela.
- In 2006, she gave a brilliant performance in the movie ‘Golmaal’.
- In 2008, she marked her entry into Hollywood and appeared in the movie “The Other End Of The Line” which also starred Shriya Saran and Jesse Metcalf.
- Besides working in Bollywood movies, Sushmita Mukherjee has also acted in a number of television serials. She has even written the scripts of various shows.
- In 2018, Mukherjee appeared in the TV mini-series “Imperfect.”
- In 2019, she acted in Amazon Prime’s web-series “Mind The Malhotras” in which Cyrus Sahukar and Mini Mathur played the lead roles.
- Sushmita Mukherjee worked as a script assistant for Vidhu Vinod Chopra’s movie “Khamosh.” In 2018, she debuted as a writer with her novel “Mee and Juhibaby.” It took her eleven years to complete the book.
- She manages her husband’s production house “Prayas Production.” Sushmita Mukherjee also runs her NGO “Rudrani Kalagram” which is an art village in Madhya Pradesh.
- Mukherjee’s husband, Raja Bundela, was her senior at NFDC.
- Mukherjee has done ghost-writing for television shows, plays. She has also penned down short stories. Moreover, she also writes for her husband’s production house.
- She used to stay at Pandara Road, New Delhi.
- Mukherjee would love to portray all of Meryl Streep’s roles.
- She portrayed thirty characters in her play “Nari Bai.”
- Sushmita Mukherjee used to excel in academics when she was a student.
- Her second husband Raja Bundela belongs to one of the Royal houses of the Lalitpur district in Uttar Pradesh.