|Real Name||Swapna Barman|
|Famous For||Bagging Gold medal at the Asian Games 2018
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 160 cm
in meters- 1.60 m
in feet inches- 5’ 3”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 50 kg
in pounds- 110 lbs
|Figure Measurements (approx.)||32-28-32|
|Date of Birth||29 October 1996|
|Age (as in 2017)||21 Years|
|Birthplace||Jalpaiguri, West Bengal|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Scorpio|
|Hometown||Ghospara Village, Jalpaiguri, West Bengal|
|College||Charuchandra College, Kolkata|
|Educational Qualification||Not Known|
|Relationships & More|
|Parents||Father- Panchanan Barman (Rickshaw Driver)
Mother- Basana (Worker at Tea Estate)
|Siblings||4 (Names Not Known)|
|Favourite Sportsperson||Usain Bolt|
|Favourite Singer||Lata Mangeshkar|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Swapna Barman
- Does Swapna Barman smoke?: Not Known
- Does Swapna Barman drink alcohol?: Not Known
- She comes from a financially unsound family. Her family’s financial problems increased when her father suffered a stroke in 2013 and is bedridden since then.
- The athlete is said to have 6 toes in each of her foot. As per the reports, she faced problems due to her 6 toes because she could not afford an extra wide running shoe.
- In an interview, she revealed that she runs her household by the money she gets by winning the prize money.
- She was sponsored by the ‘GoSports’ Foundation through the ‘Rahul Dravid Athlete Mentorship Programme’ and also a financial aid was provided by ONGC with a regular stipend.
- She was given a scholarship of ₹1.5 Lakh in 2016 for the recognition of her success.
- Swapna ranked first in the Heptathlon at the 2017 Asian Athletics Championships held at Kalinga Stadium, Bhubaneswar.
- During the 2017 Asian Athletics Championships, Swapna got unconscious during the final event of 800 meters in which she stood fourth.
- In 2017, she also won gold at the Patiala Federation Cup. The athlete is said to have broken many of her own records.
- At the 2018 Asian Games held in Jakarta, Indonesia, Swapna bagged women’s heptathlon gold (consisting: 100m, High Jump, 200m, Shot Put, Javelin Throw, Long Jump, and 800m), rising the medal tally of India’s gold in the Asian Games. She became the first Indian Heptathlete to win a gold in Asian Games.
- She was appreciated nationwide for winning a gold at the Asian Games 2018, despite having a nagging toothache.
- After her win, her family celebrated her victory with great pomp and show. Everybody distributed sweets on Ghospara (her village) to celebrate the first gold of West Bengal in Heptathlon in Asian Games.
Family members of Swapna Barman celebrate at their residence in Jalpaiguri after she won gold medal in Women's Heptathlon at #AsianGames. Her mother says,"We're very happy. Me & Swapna's dad toiled hard to help her in her journey. Today all our dreams came true." #WestBengal pic.twitter.com/oXMvTwornT
— ANI (@ANI) August 29, 2018
- Even the Prime Minister, Narendra Modi congratulated Swapna for bringing gold in Heptathlon in Asian Games.
A talented athlete wins a prestigious medal.
Well done @Swapna_Barman96 for winning the Gold in the Heptathlon. This success demonstrates the skills and perseverance you are blessed with. India is extremely proud of you! #AsianGames2018 pic.twitter.com/bjYqFI0dXN
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) August 29, 2018
- In 2018, after signing a deal with Hima Das (sprinter), Adidas announced to render its service to make customized shoes for the first Indian Gold Medalist Heptathlete at the Asian Games 2018. Swapna visited Adidas lab in Germany and the brand provided her with 7 pairs of customized high-performance shoes.