|Other Names||Swaroop Sampat Rawal, Swarooop Rawal|
|Profession(s)||Actress, Model, Director, Producer, Writer, Educationist|
|Famous For||Being the wife of Paresh Rawal|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 165 cm
in meters- 1.65 m
in feet inches- 5’ 5”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 55 kg
in pounds- 121 lbs
|Debut||Film (Actress): Nakhuda (1981)
TV (Actress): Yeh Jo Hai Zindagi (1984)
|Achievement||Femina Miss India 1979|
|Date of Birth||3 November 1958|
|Age (as in 2018)||60 Years|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Scorpio|
|Hometown||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|College/University||• Elphinstone College, Mumbai, Maharashtra
• University of Worcester, England
|Educational Qualification(s)||• Doctorate in Science
• Ph.D. in Education and Drama
|Political Inclination||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|Hobbies||Reading, Spending Time With Children|
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||Year, 1987 (at Lakshmi Narayan Temple, Mumbai)|
|Husband/Spouse||Paresh Rawal (Actor)|
• Aniruddh Rawal (Assistant Director- Elder)
• Aditya Rawal (Playwright and Actor- Younger)
|Parents||Father- Bachu Sampat (Gujarati Theatre Artist)
Mother- Name Not Known (Surgical Oncologist)
|Favourite Actor||Amitabh Bachchan|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Swaroop Sampat
- Swaroop Sampat is a renowned Indian Film and TV actress.
- She was born and raised in a Gujarati Family.
- While studying in college, she started working in Gujarati theatre plays.
- Initially, Swaroop was reluctant about participating in the Miss India contest, but after being encouraged by her father, she participated in the contest.
- She won the title of Miss India 1979, and in the same year, she also competed at Miss Universe 1979.
- Later on, in 1981, she started getting offers from the Hindi Film Industry.
- Swaroop has appeared in a number of Hindi films like ‘Sawaal’, ‘Ki and Ka’, ‘Uri: The Surgical Strike’, etc.
- She has always maintained a traditional image; however, she surprised everyone after wearing a bikini in the film ‘Karishma’ (1984).
- In 2013, she appeared in the Gujarati film, ‘Saptapadii’ (produced by Amitabh Bachchan‘s production company).
- Apart from films, Swaroop has also worked in the Hindi TV serials like ‘All The Best’, ‘Shanti’, etc.
- She is best remembered for her role of ‘Renu’ (Shafi Inamdar’s wife) in the popular comedy TV show ‘Ye Jo Hai Zindagi’.
- According to sources, earlier, Swaroop had rejected a proposal of another popular TV serial; because she found the script of ‘Yeh Jo Hai Zindagi’ more interesting.
- In addition to acting, she has also worked in several TVC ad, modelling assignments, promotional appearances, photo shoots for magazines, etc.
- Swaroop is a board member of an NGO- ‘Save the Children India’, which works to improve the lives of children in India.
- For providing better education to rural children, she wrote many letters to some of the Ministers of Maharashtra, and also, to Gujarat’s former Chief Minister Narendra Modi. Later on, Modi responded in her favour and an appointed her as the head of an educational program for children in Gujarat.
- Swaroop works for the Gujarat Council for Educational Research and Training; where she has conducted workshops for children. As a result of her work, she has been able to get 700+ children back to school.
- Once, Narendra Modi described Swaroop as the ‘Gujarat’s Master Ji’.
- She has a keen interest in helping disabled children who were the motive behind her doctoral thesis.
- Swaroop also trains disabled children in enhancing their interpersonal skills.
- Inspired by Aamir Khan‘s directorial debut movie ‘Taare Zameen Par’, she wrote a book titled- ‘Learning Disabilities in a Nutshell: Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, Dyscalculia, Dyspraxia’ for the disabled children, their teachers, and parents.
- Swaroop saw Paresh Rawal in the 1970s for the first time when they both were in the college.
- After dating for 17 years, the couple got married in 1987.
- Their ‘Satphere’ took place under the shed of big old trees instead of ‘a Wedding Mandap’.
- Her elder son, Anirudh Rawal, has worked as an assistant director in the movie ‘Sultan’ and has also worked with Naseeruddin Shah in his plays.
- Swaroop’s younger son, Aditya Rawal, has featured in the Gujarati play- ‘Kishan Kanhaiya’, appeared in the film Bollywood film ‘Ferrari Ki Sawaari’, and produced as well as directed a documentary titled- ‘Drama-in-Education: Taking Gandhi Out of the Textbook’.
- Swaroop has directed as well as acted in many Marathi and Gujarati plays along with her husband Paresh Rawal.
- In 2018, she was featured in the web series- ‘The Great Indian Dysfunctional Family’.