|Indian Civil Servant (IAS Officer)
|Raiding two separate marriage ceremonies in Tripura for flouting the COVID-19 norms in April 2021
|Physical Stats & More
|in centimeters- 173 cm
in meters- 1.73 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 8”
|Indian Administrative Service (IAS)
|• Board of Director of Agartala Smart City Limited
• Mission Director of National Health Mission, Tripura
• Executive Secretary of Tripura Health Protection Society (THPS)
• District Election Officer of West Tripura District
• District Magistrate of West Tripura
|Date of Birth
|23 June 1979 (Saturday)
|Age (as of 2021)
|Ambedkar Nagar, Uttar Pradesh
|Ambedkar Nagar, Uttar Pradesh
|In April 2021, he was criticised by a faction of society for his high-handedness when he raided two marriage ceremonies in Tripura for flouting the COVID-19 norms. After a video that went viral, opposition leader Manik Sarkar and the CPIM demanded proper action against him for his behaviour. In the video, Mr. Yadav was seen using foul language and physically abusing the guests including a groom at a wedding hall in Agartala. Many social media users also strongly condemned the incident and demanded action against the DM. The Indian Express On 29 April 2021, after the intervention of Tripura Chief Minister Biplab Kumar Deb, Dr. Shailesh Kumar Yadav was suspended from the post of the District Magistrate of West Tripura. The Free Press Journal
|Relationships & More
|Name not known
|He has two sons.
Some Lesser Known Facts About Dr. Shailesh Kumar Yadav (Tripura DM)
- Dr. Shailesh Kumar Yadav is an Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer who made headlines in April 2021 when he raided two separate marriage ceremonies in West Tripura for flouting the COVID-19 norms.
- He grew up in a small town, Ambedkar Nagar, in Uttar Pradesh.
- After passing the UPSC examination, he was allotted the AGMUT Cadre in 2003 and was posted in Tripura.
- Dr. Shailesh Kumar Yadav has served the Government of Tripura in various capacities including Mission Director of National Health Mission in Tripura, Executive Secretary of Tripura Health Protection Society (THPS), and District Magistrate of West Tripura.
- While serving as the Board of Director of Agartala Smart City Limited, Mr. Yadav significantly contributed to rank Agartala at the top amongst ten Smart Cities in the North Eastern Region.
- He is also lauded for diligently discharging his duties as the Executive Secretary of Tripura Health Protection Society (THPS).
- In October 2018, the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, lauded Dr. Shailesh Yadav for leading by example and getting his children vaccinated against measles and rubella as part of the Measles-Rubella (MR) vaccination campaign.
- Dr. Shailesh Yadav is also known for his contribution to efficiently conducting elections as the District Election Officer of West Tripura.
- Amid the COVID-19 pandemic, Dr. Shailesh Yadav took the charge as the District Magistrate of West Tripura in August 2020.
- In August 2020, HDFC Bank posted a video on their YouTube channel in which they appreciated Dr. Shailesh Kumar Yadav for providing essentials to around more than 500 underprivileged residents of West Tripura during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- In April 2021, a video went viral on social media in which Dr. Shailesh Yadav was heard hurling abuses at the people present at a wedding party while raiding two marriage ceremonies in Agartala as the District Magistrate (DM) of West Tripura. In the video, the District Magistrate was seen disrupting a wedding ceremony at Manikya Court, a marriage hall at the North Gate of the Palace Compound. The video showed the IAS officer entering the marriage hall and asking people to vacate the premises immediately for allegedly violating the COVID-19 restrictions as the Agartala Municipal Council (AMC) had imposed a curfew after 10 pm amid the growing COVID-19 cases in the area.
- In the video that went viral, Dr. Shailesh Yadav, as the District Magistrate of West Tripura, also ordered to seal the marriage halls and banned them from operating after they violated the COVID-19 restrictions on 26 April 2021. He also directed the police to book the entire crowd, including the bride and groom, for violating the Epidemic Diseases Act, Disaster Management Act, and night curfew under Section 144 of the CrPC.
- In the video, Dr. Shailesh Yadav also recommended the government to suspend the officer in charge (OC) of East Agartala police station and some on-duty police personnel, who were seen disobeying the order of the District Magistrate.
- In the video, he was also seen asking the bride to come off the stage while the police personnel drove out guests from a marriage hall.
- Soon after the video went viral, his act received a mixed response, some lauded his act amid the grave situation due to the COVID-19 pandemic, while some criticised his high-handedness and manhandling the invitees including the groom at the wedding function.
- While terming the incident as ‘undesired’ and unbecoming of the District Magistrate, Opposition Leader Manik Sarkar and the CPIM demanded action against Dr. Shailesh Yadav for his behaviour.
- On 27 April 2021, Pratima Bhowmik, West Tripura MP and BJP leader, informed the media that she would visit the bride’s relatives and speak to them about the incident. She said,
The administration is doing what’s needed to break the chain of transmission of coronavirus. But what happened last night is most undesired. It should not have happened.”
- Later, many BJP MLAs including Sudip Roy Barman, Ashish Kumar Saha, and Sushanta Choudhury wrote to the Chief Secretary of Tripura Manoj Kumar, seeking the removal of the DM.
- On 28 April 2021, after severe criticism on social media, Dr. Shailesh Kumar Yadav apologised for his behaviour, he said,
All I did was done during the night curfew period last night and was for the benefit and wellbeing of the people. My intention was not to hurt or humiliate the sentiments of anyone.”