Age: 39 Years
Education: Degree In Economics And Politics
Wife: Yamini Roy Chowdhury
|Full Name||Feroze Varun Gandhi|
|Political Party||Bharatiya Janata Party
|Political Journey||• For the first time, Varun Gandhi was introduced to politics by his mother during the 1999 election campaigning.
• In 2004, he joined BJP along with his mother Maneka Gandhi.
• In the 2009 General Election, Varun fought the election for Lok Sabha from the Pilibhit constituency. Varun won the seat by receiving 419,539 votes and defeated his nearest contending candidate, V.M. Singh, by a margin of 281,501 votes.
• In 2013, the then BJP head Rajnath Singh appointed him as the national general secretary of the BJP. He became the youngest ever general secretary of the party.
• In the 2014 General Election, Varun defeated Amita Singh from Sultanpur.
• In the 2019 Lok Sabha Elections, he won from the Pilibhit Constituency in Uttar Pradesh.
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 175 cm
in meters- 1.75 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 9”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 72 kg
in Pounds- 158 lbs
|Date of Birth||13 March 1980|
|Age (as in 2019)||39 Years|
|Birthplace||New Delhi, Delhi, India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Pisces|
|Hometown||New Delhi, India|
|School||Rishi Valley School, Modern School C.P. New Delhi and the British School, New Delhi|
|College||SOAS, University of London, London School of Economics and Political Science|
|Educational Qualification||BSc in Economics from the London School of Economics (LSE)|
|Family||Great-grandfather- Jawaharlal Nehru
Great-grandmother- Kamala Nehru (freedom fighter)
Grandfather- Feroze Gandhi
Grandmother- Indira Gandhi
Father- Sanjay Gandhi
Mother- Maneka Gandhi
Uncle- Rajiv Gandhi
Aunty- Sonia Gandhi
Cousins- Rahul Gandhi,
|Hobbies||Writing Blogs and Poems|
|Major Controversies||• During his election campaign in the 2009 General Elections, Varun delivered a hate speech against the Muslims, for this, he was booked under National Security Act but was acquitted later. While filing a petition in the Allahabad court in the same case, another controversy erupted regarding his educational degrees. In his petition, Varun had mentioned that he was a graduate from LSE (London School of Economics and Political Science) and did his masters from SOAS (School of Oriental and African Studies). But the university denied his claim of any such degree and clarified that he earned his degree (BSc in Economics) in LSE through the long-distance provision and he only enrolled for SOAS (MSc in Sociology) but never completed the degree.
• In 2013 he was detained again for his hate speech, but again he was acquitted.
• In 2015, he was criticized for his alleged association with Lalit Modi.
• In October 2016, Varun Gandhi was at the center of controversy over allegations that he had leaked defense secrets to middleman Abhishek Verma and arms manufacturers after getting "honey-trapped", a charge he stoutly denied.
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Wife||Yamini Roy Chowdhury (the great granddaughter of C.R. Das)
Daughter(s)- Anasuyaa Gandhi, Aadya Priyadarshini (died in his arms at the age of 4, in 2011)
|Favourite Singer||Bob Dylan|
|Favourite Author(s)||Ruben Banerjee, Rana Safvi|
|Favourite Poet||Pritish Nandy|
|Favourite Book(s)||Pritish Nandy|
|Favourite Movie||Loving Vincent (2017)|
|Salary (as a Lok Sabha Member)||Rs. 1 Lakh + Other Allowances|
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 60.32 Crore (as in 2019)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Varun Gandhi
- Does Varun Gandhi smoke?: Not Known
- Does Varun Gandhi drink alcohol?: Not Known
- Varun Gandhi is a member of the Nehru-Gandhi Family.
- When Varun Gandhi was 3 months old, his father Sanjay Gandhi died in a plane crash.
- In the 2009 General Elections, Varun Gandhi contested the election for the first time and defeated V.M. Singh by a margin of 281,501 votes. It was the largest victory by a margin in the Gandhi Family at that time.
- In 2011, Gandhi strongly pitched for the Jan Lokpal Bill. Gandhi offered his official residence to Anna Hazare to hold his fast after Hazare was denied permission by the government.
- Varun lost his 4-month-old daughter, Aadya Priyadarshini, who he named after his grandmother, Indira Gandhi. The incident had traumatized Varun so much that he had to take a break from active politics for almost two months.
- In 2015, Gandhi vowed that he would donate his entire MP salary to the families of those farmers who had been forced to end their lives due to the agrarian crisis.
- Varun Gandhi is a proficient writer also. He has written for many magazines in India such as The Times of India, The Hindustan Times, The Hindu, The Indian Express, The Economic Times, The Asian Age, and Outlook among others.
- He is a good poet too. When he was 20, Gandhi wrote his first volume of poems, titled The Otherness of Self, in 2000. His second volume of poems, titled Stillness was published by HarperCollins in April 2015. The book broke sales records and became the best-selling non-fiction book, in the first two days of its release, over 10,000 copies were sold.
- Varun runs an analytics company “Rajdhani” that provides commodity training.
- In 2018, he published a book titled “A Rural Manifesto: Realizing India’s Future Through Her Villages.”