Wife: Nayana Dasgupta
Caste: Bhumihar Brahmin
Age: 44 Years
|Full Name||Ravish Kumar Pandey|
|Profession||Journalist, TV Anchor, Author|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 183 cm
in meters- 1.83 m
in feet inches- 6’
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 75 kg
in pounds- 165 lbs
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Famous Shows||• Ravish Ki Report on NDTV India
• Hum Log on NDTV India
• Prime Time on NDTV India
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||2010: Ganesh Sankar Vidyarthi Award
2013: Ramnath Goenka Excellence in Journalism Award for the Journalist of The Year
2014: Indian News Television Award for the best news anchor in Hindi
2016: The Indian Express included him in the 100 most influential Indians list. The same year, he was named the best journalist of the year by Mumbai Press Club
2017: Honoured with the first Kuldip Nayar journalism award for his contribution to the field of journalism
|Date of Birth||5 December 1974|
|Age (as in 2018)||44 Years|
|Birthplace||Jitvarpur village in Motihari, Bihar|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Sagittarius|
|School||Loyola High School, Patna, India|
|College/University||• Deshbandhu College, University of Delhi
• Indian Institute of Mass Communication, New Delhi
|Educational Qualification(s)||• BA in History from Deshbandhu College
• MA in History from Deshbandhu College
• M.Phil. from Delhi University
• Post-graduate diploma in Journalism from the Indian Institute of Mass Communication
|Hobbies||Reading, Writing, Listening to Old Hindi Songs|
|Address||Village-Jitwarpur, PO.-Pipra, PS.-Govindganj, District-East Champaran, Bihar-845419|
|Controversies||• In 2017, his brother, Brajesh Kumar Pandey was booked under the POSCO (Protection Of Children From Sexual Offences) Act for being involved in a sex-racket for which Ravish Kumar was criticized by a faction of society for not covering the incident in his news shows.
• He also attracted a controversy for implicitly criticizing Arnab Goswami, a popular English TV Anchor.
• Ravish Kumar has revealed that he has been receiving death threats and abusive phone calls since the arrival of the Narendra Modi Government at the centre in 2014. The constant trolling led to Ravish Kumar quitting Twitter in August 2015.
|Relationships & More|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||Nayana Dasgupta (History Teacher)|
|Wife/Spouse||Nayana Dasgupta (History Teacher)
Daughter(s)- 2 (Names Not Known)
|Parents||Father- Baliram Pandey My Neta
Mother- Name Not Known
|Siblings||Brother- Brajesh Kumar Pandey (Politician)
Sister- Not Known
|Favourite Teacher||Late Parthasarathi Gupta (History Professor of Delhi University)|
|Favourite Actor||Amitabh Bachchan|
|Favourite Singer(s)||Kishore Kumar, Lata Mangeshkar, Mukesh, Mohammed Aziz|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Ravish Kumar
- Ravish Kumar is a popular Hindi journalist who is best known for his unique monologues in his show- Prime Time.
- Ravish Kumar belongs to a modest family from Bihar.
- After completing his schooling from a convent school in Patna, he came to Delhi for his further studies in 1990.
- Ravish says that before coming to Delhi the only ‘big’ cities he had seen were Lucknow, Jamshedpur, and Ranikhet.
- In Delhi, Ravish was enrolled in Deshbandhu College, where lecturers like Anil Sethi and Rana Bahal became his mentors who encouraged and helped him in myriad ways. While talking about them, Ravish says-
They taught me English, how to eat at a table, how to talk to girls, how to wear a tie.”
- After studying History at Deshbandhu College in Delhi, he started preparing for the Civil Services. However, he could not get success in the Civil Sevices Examination.
- While in Delhi, Ravish was told that if he wanted to ‘look at girls,’ he should head to the M Block GK I Market.
- When Ravish Kumar came to Delhi, the one thing that scared him the most was the English- speaking people. He was so terrified by the English-speaking people that he rented a Barsati in the bylanes of Govindpuri, away from ‘English- speaking zones.’
- While in Delhi, Ravish Kumar’s landlord, ‘Sharmaji,’ would often advise him to learn English.
- Even by the end of his BA, Ravish could not become good at English. However, he went on to enrol for an MA in History.
- While pursuing his Master’s in History at Delhi University, Ravish was profoundly influenced by the brilliant Delhi University History Professor, the late Parthasarathi Gupta, affectionately known to his students as PSG, whose lectures on urbanisation became like a guide for him. They changed the way Ravish viewed the city.
- While pursuing his M.Phil at Delhi University, Ravish met his future wife, Nayana Dasgupta, who was studying at Indraprastha College.
- Ravish and Nayana dated for around seven-odd years. Ravish never had enough money, so they would visit coffee houses and go for long walks.
- When Ravish Kumar approached his parents to let them know about his plans to get married to Nayana, they strongly oppose the marriage; as Ravish is a Bhumihar Brahmin, an upper caste; while Nayana belongs to a Bengali Community.
- However, Ravish broke the ties with his family and got married to Nayana.
- After his post-graduate diploma in journalism from the Indian Institute of Mass Communication, Ravish joined NDTV India in 1996 and went on to become one of the most popular Hindi journalists in India.
- Many of his shows at NDTV India have been liked both by public and critics as well.
- Ravish Kumar is known for covering the invisible stories of ordinary Indian lives. The first “Ravish Ki Report” was on Paharganj. In the show, he covered the untouched lives of the city and presented them in a layman’s language.
- His brother, Brajesh Kumar Pandey, is an active politician in Bihar and is a member of the Indian National Congress.
- Ravish Kumar is often seen quoting to not to watch the Television news; as he considers most of the TV reporting to be biased; which lead astray the common people.
- He is also often seen publishing the posts on his social media accounts about being trolled on social media and for being interfered in his personal life.
- Ravish Kumar often complaints about receiving death threats; mostly by some right-wing extremists.
- He developed a unique style of writing micro-fiction stories. He has given the term “Laprek” to these stories. Laprek stands for- Laghu Prem Katha. He has compiled these stories in his book- Ishq Mein Sheher Hona.
- He has also penned down the book- “The Free Voice – On Democracy, Culture and The Nation.”
- He also runs a blog, ‘naisadak.blogspot.com,’ where he publishes articles on myriad issues; mostly in the form of satires.
- The popularity of Ravish Kumar can be assessed with the fact that a popular YouTube channel The Screen Patti (TSP) runs a programme titled Rabish Ki Report in which actor Shivankit Singh Parihar portrays Ravish Kumar as “Raja Rabish Kumar.”
- For Creative Literature and Hindi Journalism, Ravish was awarded the prestigious Ganesh Sankar Vidyarthi Award in 2010.
- Ravish never thought he’d end up living in Delhi for over two decades, he says-
I always thought I would go back to Bihar, but I never did.”
- Here’s a video in which Ravish Kumar is talking about his journey in NDTV India:
📢⚡TRENDING: List of IPL Winners (2008-2018)
References/Sources: [ + ]