B. S. Yediyurappa Age, Wife, Caste, Children, Family, Biography & More
Age: 78 Years
Caste: Lingayat Community
Hometown: Bookanakere, Karnataka
|Full Name||Bookanakere Siddalingappa Yediyurappa|
|Famous For||Being the first person from the Bharatiya Janata Party to become the Chief Minister of a South Indian state- Karnataka (2008)|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.70 m
in feet inches- 5’ 7”
|Political Party||• Bharatiya Janata Party (1980-2012)
• Karnataka Janata Paksha (2012-2013)
• Bharatiya Janata Party (2013-Present)
|Political Journey||• 1972: Appointed as a member of the Shikaripura Town Municipality.
• 1975: Elected as the President of the Taluk unit of the Jana Sangh and appointed as the President of the Town Municipality of Shikaripura.
• 1980: Elected as the President of the Shikaripura unit of the BJP.
• 1985: Became the President of BJP's Shivamogga unit.
• 1988: Elected as the President of the Karnataka BJP.
• 1994: Became the leader of opposition of Karnataka Legislative assembly.
• 1999: Lost the elections.
• 2004: Re-elected and became the leader of opposition again.
• 2008: Became the Cheif Minister of Karnataka.
• 2011: Resigned as the Chief Minister of Karnataka after corruption charges and pressure from the BJP.
• 2012: Resigned from the BJP and formed his party, the Karnataka Janata Paksha.
• 2013: Joined the BJP once again unconditionally.
• 2014: Merged his party with the BJP.
• 2018: Took oath as the Karnataka CM, but had to resign just after 2 days as he lost the trust vote.
• 2019: Became the Chief Minister of Karnataka on 26 July 2019.
• 2021: On 26 July, he annopunced his resignation as the Chief Minister of Karnataka.
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||“Fastest Mover" Award in the Law and Order category by India Today in 2009|
|Date of Birth||27 February 1943, Saturday|
|Age (as of 2021)||78 Years|
|Birthplace||Bookanakere, Kingdom of Mysore (now Karnataka), British India|
|Hometown||Bookanakere, Mandya, Karnataka|
|School||PES College, Mandya, Karnataka|
|Educational Qualification||Bachelor of Arts (BA)|
|Address||House No.13/2, Mythri Nivasa, Malerakeri, Shikaripura, Karnataka|
|Controversies||• In 2004, there were rumours that B.S Yediyurappa and Shobha Karandlaje (Lok Sabha MP; BJP) had an affair.
• In 2009, the district magistrate ordered a probe to investigate the death of his wife. Many people alleged that she might have been killed; as the death was very suspicious. His wife's death was caused by slipping in a water tank and drowning. Many people raised questions that even though Mythra was 5 feet and five inches tall, how could she have drowned in a tank with only 4 feet of water.
• In 2011, he was forced by the BJP to resign as the CM; due to corruption charges.
• In April 2016, he was criticized when an SUV was gifted to him by a sugar baron, Murugesh Nirani. The SUV was worth 1 crore INR, and it was being used by him to inspect the drought-hit areas.
• In May 2017, he was heavily criticized when he went for a meal at a Dalit house, but allegedly, he ordered food from a nearby hotel.
• In February 2019, several audiotapes of conversations of Yediyurappa with MLA's of the JDS and Congress were exposed. The MLA's were being offered 50 Crores INR to resign and join the BJP. The JDS and Congress accused Yeddyurappa of trying to bring down the Kumaraswamy government.
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||Year 1967|
• BY Raghavendra
• BY Vijyaendra
• SY Umadevi
• B Y Arunadevi
• BY Padmavati
Sister- PS Prema
|Car Collection||• Toyota Fortuner (2016 Model)
• Toyota Fortuner (2014 Model)
|Bike Collection||Hero Maestro (2014 Model)|
|Assets/Properties||Cash: 1.01 Lacs INR
Bank Deposits: 16.07 Lacs INR
Jewellery: 2968 gm Gold and 84 kg Silver worth 1.09 Crores INR
Agricultural Lands: 3 lands in Channahalli, Karnataka worth 52 Lacs INR
Non-Agricultural Land: worth 18.15 Lacs INR in Shikaripur, Karnataka
Non-Agricultural Land: worth 6 Lacs INR in Geddalahalli, Bengaluru
Commercial Buildings: 2 buildings worth 67 Lacs INR in Shikaripur, Karnataka
Residential Building: worth 3 Crores INR in Bengaluru
Residential Building: worth 38.32 Lacs INR in Shikaripur, Karnataka
|Salary (approx.)||2 Lacs INR per month + other allowances (as the Chief Minister of Karnataka)|
|Net Worth (approx.)||6.54 Crores INR (as in 2018)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About B. S. Yediyurappa
- B. S. Yediyurappa is a prominent Indian politician. He is from the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and is the Chief Minister of Karnataka.
- Yediyurappa was named after a deity in a Shiv temple, which was built by Saint Siddalingeshwara in Yedeyur, Karnataka.
- His mother died when he was four years old.
- He is a member of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) since his college days.
- In 1965, he was appointed as a First-Division clerk in the social welfare department. He soon quit his job and moved to Shikapura and took a job as a clerk in a rice mill in Shikapura, Karnataka.
- In 1967, he got married to Mythra Devi; who was the daughter of the owner of a rice mill where he used to work.
- Eventually, he moved to Shivamogga in Karnataka and opened a hardware shop.
- In 1970, he was appointed as the secretary of the Sangh’s Shikaripur unit in Karnataka.
- In 2004, his wife died mysteriously by drowning in a water tank; while fetching water.
- B. S. Yediyurappa has been a member of the Seventh, Eighth, Ninth, Tenth, Twelfth and Thirteenth Legislative Assemblies (lower house) of Karnataka.
- He became the 19th Chief Minister of Karnataka in 2008. He served as the CM from 30 May 2008 to 31 July 2011.
- He quit the BJP in 2012 and formed his party, the Karnataka Janata Paksha.
- His party did not do well in Karnataka, and on 2 January 2014, he merged his party with the BJP.
- He was appointed as the President of the Karnataka BJP in 2016.
- BS Yediyurappa was suspected to have a relationship with Shobha Karandlaje. However, both of them denied the affair. There were also rumours that they got married in a secret ceremony.
- In 2011, Yediyurappa was arrested and jailed for corruption for 21 days.
- A pedestrian was killed by a car in which Yediyurappa’s son was travelling. The police arrested the driver (Ravikumar), and he was charged with a case of rash driving.
- Yediyurappa loves playing and watching cricket. He is often seen playing cricket with the people of his constituency, Shikaripura.
- The BJP announced that B. S. Yediyurappa will be the chief ministerial candidate for the 2018 Karnataka Assembly elections.
- On 17th May 2018, he took oath as the Chief Minister of Karnataka. Although, he had to resign from the post only after 2 days of being sworn in; as he lost the trust vote. It made him the shortest-serving Chief Minister in the history of India.
- On 26 July 2019, he took oath as the Chief Minister of Karnataka, after H. D. Kumaraswamy lost the trust vote in the Karnataka assembly.