Some Lesser Known Facts About Gayatri Joshi
- Gayatri Joshi is a former Indian model and Bollywood actress. She appeared in the movie Swades in 2004. This was her first and last movie in Bollywood.
- She was born in a Marathi family in Nagpur, Maharastra, India. After spending some time of her childhood in Nagpur, she moved to Mumbai with her family and there, she joined The J.B. Vachha High School.
- After completing her schooling, she took admission to Sydenham College of Commerce and Economics, Mumbai. She started her modelling career during her college days in 1996. She worked for several brands including Ponds, Godrej, Sunsilk, LG, Hyundai, Philips, and others.
- Later, she completed her B.Com. successfully and then participated in Femina Miss India Contest in 1999. In this beauty pageant, she emerged as one of the top five contestants.
- In the same year, she got selected to represent India in Japan at the 2000 Miss International Beauty Pageant.
- In 2001, Gayatri Joshi featured as a model in Seasons Catalogue and Calendar shoot.
- Later, she appeared in Jagjit Singh‘s music video “Woh Kagaz Ki Kashti” and also in Hans Raj Hans’ “Jhanjaria.”
- In 2004, Gayatri Joshi made her Bollywood debut with the film “Swades” opposite Shah Rukh Khan. With this movie, she became an overnight sensation in the Hindi Film Industry.
- After this only successful hit of her career, Gayatri Joshi left the limelight of the Indian Film Industry and got engaged to Vikas Oberoi (the Managing Director of Oberoi Constructions in Las Vegas, Nevada, U.S.A.) on 23 June 2005. A few months later, on 27 August 2005, the couple tied their knot in Las Vegas at the Grand Hyatt Hotel. A number of Bollywood faces such as Twinkle Khanna, Akshay Kumar, Isha Koppikar, Inder Kumar, Bhushan Kumar, and others were present at their wedding ceremony.
- In 2005, Gayatri got married to Vikas Oberoi. Soon after getting married, she left the entertainment world. In a conversation with a media house named Bollywood Hungama, she disclosed her reason to quit the entertainment industry. She explained,
I met my husband, Vikas Oberoi, and also I was very satisfied where my career had taken me. And when I met Vikas, I realized that this was something that I wanted more than doing movies and being in Bollywood. That’s why; it was quite easy to give up that thought. I could have continued to work yet be married. But I consciously made that decision because if I am committing to something, I wanted to give my hundred per cent to it. And I always wanted to commit my hundred per cent to my marriage, to my family and to my children.”
- Gayatri and her husband, Vikas Oberoi, survived an accident while they were in Italy in October 2023. The couple was travelling in Sardinia in their Lamborghini when a Ferrari collided with their car and a campervan. In the accident, a couple named Markus Krautli and Melissa Krautliin from Zurich, Switzerland, who were in the campervan died. Vikas, on the other hand, was reported to have faced charges of double road homicide under Italian law. India Today Hindustan Times