Some Lesser Known Facts About Sandeep Khosla
- Sandeep Khosla is a famous Indian costume designer, who owns the label “Abu Jani-Sandeep Khosla,” along with Abu Jani.
- He was born in a Punjabi family and completed his schooling from one of the best schools (The Doon School, Dehradun) in India. He was more interested in extra curriculum activities than his study, and it was his interest and passion towards the fashion designing that drew him to the fashion world.
- After completing his college, he joined his family business of leather and export. He also went to a leather institute in Chennai for a year and then left the college.
- Later, he decided to shift to Delhi to pursue his passion, and there, he set up a small boutique “Limelight.”
- Then, he moved to Mumbai and joined Xerxes Bhartena designing team to know more about different types of fabrics and costume manufacturing techniques. There, he met Abu Jani, who was also working as an assistant to Xerxes Bhartena. The duo became friends and decided to open their own label.
- They opened “Mata Hari” boutique in Mumbai in 1986; which gave them the required threshold in becoming their one of the most successful fashion designers in the world.
- Soon, their work featured in one of the leading fashion magazines, which offered them new opportunities in the fashion industry.
- In 1987, they joined Tarun Tahiliani into his multi-brand boutique ‘Ensemble.’
- The very first celebrity client of the duo was Dimple Kapadia; and which later led to famous celebrity clientele including Sri Devi, Jaya Bachchan, Amrita Singh, and more.
- Except for costume designing, the duo is also into interior designing. Their furniture line came into the public eyes for the first time in Mumbai at Bajaj Gallery in 1993. They have worked on several interior designing projects including for the hotel- ‘The Sofala’ (Goa) and the restaurant- ‘Aish at the Park’ (Hyderabad). They have also designed the home of celebrities like Dimple Kapadia, Amitabh Bachchan, Shweta Bachchan Nanda and Nikhil Nanda, and others.
- In 2008, he hosted the TV show “The First Ladies with Abu Sandeep” along with Abu Jani. They interacted with famous personalities such as Jaya Bachchan, Nita Ambani, Usha Mittal, Sussanne Khan, Maharani Padmini Devi, Gauri Khan, Kirron Kher, and others in the show.
- The duo completed and celebrated their 25 years of working together with a fashion show in 2011.
- In 2016, Beyonce (singer) wore Abu Jani Sandeep Khosla for Coldplay’s song, ‘Hymn For The Weekend.’
- They have a huge client list including Bollywood A-List, business prodigies, and prominent politicians. Abu Jani Sandeep Khosla stores have opened at Delhi, Banglore, and Mumbai. The brand is known for its gorgeous bridal outfits which encompass embellishments, intricate embroidery, femininity, and class.
- The duo has worked together for various movies including Pyaar Ka Saaya (1991), Devdaas(2002), The Hero (2003), Umrao Jaan (2006), and Veere Di Wedding (2018).
- The duo avoids designing outfits for films. The reason Jani told IANS, “Movies don’t have huge budgets for costume design or creative independence and freedom. It’s rare to find a Sanjay Leela Bhansali who invests in that area and respects designers to allow them free rein. We are perfectionists, maximalists, and nitpickers when it comes to quality and detail. We are also fiercely independent. So, we would only do costume design if we worked with those principles and budgets.”
📢⚡TRENDING: List of IPL Winners (2008-2018)