Javed Akhtar Age, Wife, Children, Family, Biography & More
Age: 76 Years
|Profession||Lyricist, Screenwriter, Poet|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (Approx.)||in centimeters- 165 cm
in meters- 1.65 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 5”
|Weight (Approx.)||in Kilograms- 75 kg
in Pounds- 165 lbs
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Date of Birth||17 January 1945|
|Age (as of 2021)||76 Years|
|Birthplace||Gwalior, Gwalior State, Central India Agency, British India|
|Hometown||Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh|
|College/University||Saifiya College, Bhopal|
|Educational Qualification||Graduate in Arts|
|Debut||As a Screenwriter (with Salim Khan): Andaaz (1971)
As a Screenwriter (Solo): Betaab (1983)
As a lyricist: Silsila (1981)
|Awards/Achievements||• Awarded the Padma Shri in 1999.
• Honored with the Padma Bhushan in 2007.
• 5-time National Award winner for Best Lyrics for the movies- Saaz (1996), Border (1997), Godmother (1998), Refugee (2000) and Lagaan (2001).
• In 2013, received the Sahitya Akademi Award (Urdu), India's second highest literary honor, for his poetry collection- ‘Lava’.
|Family||Father- Jan Nisar Akhtar (Songwriter & poet)
Mother- Safia Akhtar (Singer)
Brothers- Salman Akhtar, Shahid Akhtar
Sisters- Uneza Akhtar, Albina
|Address||702/Sagar Samrat, Green Field Road, Near Juhu, Mumbai- 400049|
|Controversies||• In 2016, when former Indian cricketer Virender Sehwag and wrestler Yogeshwar Dutt took a jibe at Gurmehar Kaur, a Delhi University student, who was protesting ABVP's attacks on students and teachers, Javed Akhtar took to Twitter to share his piece of mind. In one of his tweets, the lyricist referred to the aforesaid sportspersons as 'hardly literate.'
• British filmmaker Leslee Udwin's 'India's Daughter (Nirbhaya)' documentary became a matter of heated debate at the time of its release. Since the film also contained an interview of one of the convicts, the parents of the victim urged the government to halt its release. As a result, the government wasted no time in banning the controversial documentary. However, Javed Akhtar and a number of other politicians were of a different view. In one of the parliamentary sessions, he said, "Accha hua ki documentary bani, ab pata chalega kitne log hain jo uss rapist jaise soch rakhtey hain" (It is good that this film was made, it will reveal how many men think like Nirbhaya's rapist).
• On 1 February 2021, he filed a criminal complaint against Kangana Ranaut in which he alleged that the actress linked his name to Sushant Singh Rajput's alleged suicide case during an interview that she gave on 19 July 2020. Following his complaint, a metropolitan magistrate court in Mumbai issued summons to Ms. Ranaut to appear on 1 March 2021. The Hindu
|Favourite Poem||Mera Safar by Ali Sardar Jafri|
|Favourite Poet||Kaifi Azmi, Sahir Ludhianvi|
|Favourite Actor||Dilip Kumar|
|Favourite Food||Kebabs, Vanilla Ice-Cream, Aloo Gosht Ka Shorba, Biryani|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Wife/Spouse||Honey Irani, Ex-wife (Screenwriter & Director)
Shabana Azmi, Actress (m. 1984-present)
|Marriage Date||9 December 1984 (with Shabana Azmi)|
|Children||Son- Farhan Akhtar (son from first wife)
Daughter- Zoya Akhtar, Elder (daughter from first wife)
|Net Worth||Not Known|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Javed Akhtar
- Does Javed Akhtar drink alcohol: No (Used to be an alcohol addict)
- Not many people know that Javed Akhtar’ parents initially gave him the name-“Jadoo”. Interestingly, the word Jadoo was taken from a poem written by his father. The particular line containing the word reads- “lamha, lamha kisi jadoo ka fasana hoga.”
- Poetry and songwriting have been running in Akhtar’s family for generations. While his grandfather, Muztar Khairabadi and his elder brother Bismil Khairabadi, were poets, his father, Jan Nisar Khan, was a renowned songwriter in Bollywood.
- His great-grandfather, Fazl-e-Haq Khairabadi, was a scholar of Islamic studies and theology and played an important role in the first independence movement of India in 1857.
- In hopes of making it big in Bollywood, Akhtar came to Mumbai in 1964. However, he had no place to take refuge under. He spent days without any food, sleeping beneath the trees or in corridors before finally finding shelter at Kamal Amrohi Studio in Jogeshwari.
- The future writing duo Salim-Javed (Salim Khan & Javed Akhtar) first met on the sets of the film ‘Sarhadi Lootera’ (1966), wherein Salim was an actor and Javed was a ‘clapper boy’. However, the latter was later promoted to the ‘position’ of dialogue-writer as the director was unable to find one.
- The two soon started to work together. While Salim Khan thought and devised new ideas & stories, Akhtar contributed by framing dialogues. Interestingly, Akhtar wrote all the dialogues in Urdu which were later translated into Hindi by one of their assistants. They worked together on as many as 24 films before the inevitable parting of ways. Out of these 24 movies, 20 were hits, including the 1975 cult classic- Sholay.
- Although they split up in 1982, some of the scripts that they had written by that time were later adapted into films like Zamana (1985) and Mr. India (1987).
- Coincidentally, Akhtar and his first wife, Honey Irani, share the same date of birth- 17 January.
- Akhtar used to assist Urdu poet Kaifi Azmi in his works and thus visited his house frequently. It was during these meetings that Akhtar came close to the poet’s daughter, Shabana Azmi. When his then-wife, Honey Irani, came to know about this “extra-marital affair”, she asked Akhtar to leave. While the couple separated in 1978, they eventually got divorced in 1984.