|Famous For||Being the Former Chief Minister of Haryana|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Eye Colour||Hazel Brown|
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Political Party||Indian National Lok Dal
|Political Journey||• In 1970, he became a member of the Janata Dal and elected for the first time to the Haryana state legislative assembly.
• In 1987, he elected to the Rajya Sabha and served there until 1990.
• In December 1989, he was appointed as the Chief Minister of Haryana for the first time.
• He has served two more short tenures as Haryana Chief Minister from 1990 to 1991.
• In the 1996 state assembly elections, he won a seat and became the opposition leader in the house after the HVP (Haryana Vikas Party) formed a government. The name of the party transformed to the Indian National Lok Dal (INLD) in 1998.
• In the 1999 state assembly elections, he again became the Chief Minister of Haryana for the fourth time, with the support from the BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party).
• In the 2000 state assembly elections, the Indian National Lok Dal allied with the Bharatiya Janata Party. The INLD formed a government after taking six seats from the BJP, and Chautala became Chief Minister for the fifth time.
• In the state of polls of 2005 and 2009, the INLD failed in forming their government, but Chautala maintained his seat in the assembly in both elections.
• His political career ended in 2013 when he was sentenced to 10 years imprisonment for JBT recruitment scam.
|Date of Birth||1 January 1935|
|Age (as in 2018)||83 Years|
|Birthplace||Chautala, Punjab, British India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Capricorn|
|Hometown||Chautala, Sirsa, Haryana, India|
|School||Higher Secondary School Gramothan Vidyapeet, Sangria, Rajasthan|
|College/University||Did Not Attend|
|Educational Qualification||10th Pass|
|Caste||Sihag Jat Gotra|
|Address||Village Chautala, Distt. Sirsa, Haryana, India|
|Hobbies||Reading, Listening to Music|
|Controversies||• In 1990, he was involved in a controversy of killing his political opponent.
• In 2008, he was involved in a scam of recruiting over 3000 unqualified teachers in Haryana state illegally from 1999 to 2000. In 2013, under several provisions of the Prevention of Corruption Act and the IPC, he was sentenced to ten years imprisonment along with his son, Ajay Singh Chautala.
• 2 charges related to Cheating and dishonestly inducing delivery of property (IPC Section-420)
• 2 charges related to Forgery for cheating (IPC Section-468)
• 2 charges related to Forgery of valuable security, will, etc. (IPC Section-467)
• 2 charges related to Using as genuine a forged document or electronic record (IPC Section-471)
• 2 charges related to Punishment of criminal conspiracy (IPC Section-120B)
|Relationships & More|
|Wife/Spouse||Sneh Lata Chautala
• Suchitra Chautala
• Sunita Chautala
• Anjali Chautala
• Ajay Singh Chautala (Politician)
• Abhay Singh Chautala (Politician)
|Parents||Father- Chaudhary Devi Lal (Politician)
Mother- Harki Devi
• Ranjit Singh Chautala
• Pratap Singh Chautala
• Jagdish Kumar Chautala
• Shanti Devi
|Car(s) Collection||• Toyota Camry Car (2006), Reg. No. HR 25 4977
• Mercedes Benz Car (2005), Reg. No. HR 22D 4977
• Cash- ₹5 Lakh
• Deposits in Banks & Non-Banking Companies- ₹2.5 Crore
• Jewellery- ₹54.5 Lakh
• Other assets, such as values of claims / interests- ₹19 Lakh
• Agricultural Land worth ₹7.5 Crore
• Non Agricultural Land worth ₹5.5 Lakh
• Residential Buildings worth ₹5 Crore
|Net Worth (approx.)||₹15.5 Crore (as of 2009)|
Some Lesser Known Facts about Om Prakash Chautala
- He was the eldest child to his parents. When his father, Chaudhary Devi Lal, was in jail fighting for the rights of farmers, being the eldest member of the family after his parents, he had to left his studies in between to fulfil his responsibilities.
- In 1977, he was caught at the Delhi airport in a case of wristwatch smuggling. When his father came to know this, he disowned him for years.
- Later, he entered politics and continued his studies. In 1989, when his father was appointed as the Deputy Prime Minister of India, he appointed his son, Om Prakash Chautala as the Chief Minister of Haryana.
- Om Prakash Chautala has been the Chief Minister of Haryana State five times.
- His father, Chaudhary Devi Lal has been served as the Chief Minister of Haryana from 1977 to 1979 and from 1987 to 1989 and also as the 6th Deputy Prime Minister of India from 1989 to 1991.
- In 2012, he appeared in an episode of the show, “Kya Aap Paanchvi Pass Se Tez Hain?.” The show was hosted by Shah Rukh Khan.
- In 2013, after founding guilty in the JBT Recruitment Scam, he was sentenced to 10 years imprisonment by a New Delhi court along with his son, Ajay Singh Chautala, and he has been in jail since 2013.
- In an interview, his son, Abhay Singh Chautala told that
“He has been in prison for the last four-and-a-half years. My father thought of putting his time to best use and pursue his studies. He often visits the Tihar jail library, where he reads books and newspapers. He also asks the jail staff to arrange for his favourite books.”
📢⚡TRENDING: List of ICC World Cup Winners (1975-2015)
- In 2014, his daughter-in-law and Ajay Singh Chautala‘s wife, Naina Singh Chautala, the first woman from the Chautala Family, who elected for the first time and won the elections after defeating a Congress contender with a margin of more than 1 lakh votes.