Age: 65 Years
Wife: Varsha Patel
|Full Name||Praful Manoharbhai Patel|
|Profession(s)||Politician, Businessman, Philanthropist|
|Political Party||Nationalist Congress Party (NCP)
|Political Journey||1985: Became the President of the Municipal Council Gondia (Maharashtra)
1991: Elected to the 10th Lok Sabha, a member of the Consultative Committee, Ministry of Environment and Forests (1991–1996), a member of the Committee on Science and Technology (1994–1995), a member of the Committee on Home Affairs (1995–1996)
1996: Re-elected to the 11th Lok Sabha, a member of the Committee on Finance (1996–97)
1998: Re-elected to the 12th Lok Sabha
2000: Elected to the Rajya Sabha, representing Maharashtra
2004: Minister of State for Civil Aviation
2006: Re-elected to the Rajya Sabha
2009: Elected to the 15th Lok Sabha for a fourth term
2011: Cabinet Minister for Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises
2016: Re-elected to the Rajya Sabha from Maharashtra
|Awards/Honours||• CAPA (Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation) award for the Aviation Minister of the Year (2005)
• Honorary Doctorate from Leeds Metropolitan University (2007)
|Date of Birth||17 February 1957 (Sunday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||65 Years|
|Birthplace||Nadiad, Bombay State (Now, Maharashtra), India|
|Hometown||Nadiad, Maharashtra, India|
|School||Campion School, Mumbai|
|College/University||Sydenham College, Mumbai, India|
|Address||Permanent- Ceejay House, 12th Floor, Dr. Anne Besant Road,Worli, Mumbai - 400 018 Maharashtra, India
Present- 26, G.R.G. Road, New Delhi - 110 001
|Controversies||• In October 2019, in an investigation by the Enforcement Directorate (ED), it was revealed that Praful Patel had links with the Underworld Don, Dawood Ibrahim's aide, Iqbal Mirchi. As per the investigation, Patel had helped Iqbal Mirchi (died in 2013 in London) in a money laundering case. However, Patel vehemently denied all the allegations. Business Today
• When he was the Civil Aviation Minister, the Enforcement Directorate grilled him over his role in aviation scam. According to the ED, Patel had alleged association with aviation lobbyist, Deepak Talwar who was arrested following the allegations that he received Rs. 272 crore in bribes. Economic Times
• On 17 August 2022, a contempt petition was filed against Patel by the Committee of Administrators (CoA) appointed by the Supreme Court of India; in the petition, Patel was accused of “impliedly” admitting to having “arranged” a letter from world football governing body FIFA and Asian Football Confederation (AFC) threatening a ban on India. According to the CoA, Patel interfered with the proceedings of the Hon’ble Court due to which the All India Football Federation (AIFF) was banned by FIFA in its 85-year-old history. Newss 18
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||10 February 1977 (Thursday)|
|Children||Son- Prajay Patel
Daughters- Poorna Patel, Niyati Patel, Avni Patel
|Parents||Father- Manoharbhai Patel (Politician)
|Salary (approx.)||Rs. 1 Lakh/month + Constituency allowances Rs. 45,000 (US$650) + Parliament office allowance Rs. 45,000 (US$650) + Parliament session allowance (Rs. 2,000 (US$29) per day) Rajya Sabha|
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 252 crore (as in 2014) My Neta|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Praful Patel
- Patel’s father, Manoharbhai Patel, was also a politician who had served as an MLA in the Maharashtra Legislative Assembly from Gondia constituency.
- When Praful Patel was only 13 years old, his father passed away.
- Praful is also a businessman; he owns his family business of tobacco & bidi making. He has also shown interests in pharmaceuticals, finance, real estate, packaging, etc. Later, he also headed the ‘Ceejay House,’ a company trading in tobacco.
- The Patel family also runs the ‘Gondia Education Society,’ an organisation founded by his father in 1958 in Gondia District of Maharashtra. The organisation imparts education to more than 1 lakh students in all disciplines ranging from Arts, Commerce, Law, Engineering, Information Technology, Pharmacy, Computer Sciences, etc.
- When he was the Minister of Civil Aviation, he convinced the government to increase the foreign direct investment cap in the domestic airlines’ sector from 40% to 49%.
- Patel has also been associated with sports. He has also rendered his services to Gondwana Club, Nagpur Lions International Club, served as the Gondia Football President of the All India Football Federation, Cricket Club Mumbai, and Mumbai Cricket Association, Mumbai.
- Patel was instrumental in making AIFF (All India Football Federation) introduce the ‘Indian Super League.’
- Patel was bestowed with the title of ‘Reformer of the Year’ by ‘The Economic Times.’
- In October 2009, he was made the President of AIFF for the first time.
- In 2011, when he was the Minister of Heavy Industry, he launched a project to build the world’s largest solar power plant near Sambhar Lake in Rajasthan. He also inaugurated the Auto Hub in Nagpur.
- In 2016, he was elected the President of AIFF for the third time unopposed.
- On 1 December 2016, Patel was appointed as the Senior Vice President of the Asian Football Confederation (AFC).
- On 24 January 2017, Patel launched the inaugural edition of the Indian Women’s League at New Delhi.
- On 10 June 2023, the leader of the NCP party, Sharad Pawar, announced that Praful Patel and Supriya Sule have been appointed as working presidents of the party.