Age: 70 Years
Wife: Radhika Roy
Some Lesser Known Facts About Prannoy Roy
- Does Prannoy Roy smoke?: Not Known
- Does Prannoy Roy drink alcohol?: Yes
- Roy was born to a Bengali father and an Irish mother. His father was the Chief Executive of the Indian unit of a British company and his mother was a teacher.
- Having finished his school, Roy secured a scholarship to Haileybury and Imperial Service College in the United Kingdom for his A-levels and qualified as a British Chartered Accountant.
- Roy’s paternal grandfather Paresh Lal Roy was called the ‘father of Indian Boxing’. Brother of Paresh Lal Roy, Indra Lal Roy was the first Indian pilot of Royal Flying Corp during World War I.
- Prannoy Roy is a cousin of Arundhati Roy, a novel writer.
- In 1988, Roy, along with his journalist wife Radhika, launched a television production house called NDTV (New Delhi Television).
- Currently, Prannoy Roy is a TV journalist and a professional British Chartered Accountant and Economist. He remains the lead anchor for election analysis and budget specials on India’s national television network Doordarshan and for BBC World News.
- Roy has been a Senior Economic Adviser to the Indian government’s Ministry of Finance and an Associate Professor at the Delhi School of Economics, where he developed a macro-econometric forecasting model for the Indian economy.
- Roy has co-authored “A Compendium of Indian Elections” and “India Decides: Elections 1952-1991” along with David Buttler.
- Roy has also been involved in a number of social programs through campaigns like the annual “Greenathon”, “7 Wonders of India” and the “Save Our Tigers campaign”, which won the Best Public Service Campaign for a Brand by a News Channel in 2011, and “Support My School” and “Marks for Sports” campaigns in 2010 and 2011.