Wife: Kamla Bidhuri
Hometown: New Delhi
Age: 62 Years
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 178 cm
in meters- 1.78 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 10”
|Political Party||Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)
|Political Journey||• Joined Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)
• Contested and lost the Tughlakabad Assembly seat in 1993
• Served as the District General Secretary of Mehrauli district in 1996
• Served as the Pardesh Secretary of Dharm Yatra of Mahasangh
• Served as District President BJP of Mehrauli (1997-2003)
• Contested and lost the Tughlakabad Assembly seat in 1998
• Officer on Special Duty to the Chairperson, Committee on Subordinate Legislation (1998-1999)
• Elected as MLA from Tughlakabad in 2003
• Vice President of BJP Delhi Pradesh (2003-2008)
• Re-elected as MLA from Tughlakabad in 2008
• Became General Secretary, BJP Delhi Pradesh in 2008
• Re-elected as an MLA from Tughlakabad in 2013
• Elected as MP from South Delhi in 2014
• Member of Standing Committee on Urban Development (1 September 2014 - 25 May 2019)
• Member of Standing Committee on Welfare of Other Backward Classes (12 September 2014 - 25 May 2019)
• Member of Consultative Committe on Ministry of Labour and Employment (12 September 2014 - 25 May 2019)
• Member of National Social Security Board (12 September 2014 - 25 May 2019)
• Member of Committee on Estimates (22 December 2017 - 25 May 2019)
• Re-elected as MP from South Delhi in 2019
• Became a Member of Committee on Welfare of Other Backward Classes on 31 July 2019
• Became Chairperson of Standing Committee on Petroleum and Natural Gas on 13 September 2019
• Became a Member of General Purposes Committee, Lok Sabha on 21 November 2019
• Became a Member of Consultative Committee on Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs on 21 November 2019
|Date of Birth||18 July 1961 (Tuesday)|
|Age (as of 2023)||62 Years|
|College/University||• Shaheed Bhagat Singh College, Delhi University, New Delhi
• Chaudhary Charan Singh University, Meerut, Uttar Pradesh
|Educational Qualification(s)||• Bachelor of Commerce at Shaheed Bhagat Singh College, Delhi University, New Delhi (1988)
• LLB at Chaudhary Charan Singh University, Meerut, Uttar Pradesh (2009) MyNeta
|Caste||Gujjar India Today|
|Address||House No. 179, Sunpat House, Village-Tughlakabad, New Delhi, India, Pin Code: 110044
|Controversies||• Accused of Land Encroachment: On 8 January 2015, the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) disclosed a list of legal cases involving Bidhuri, alleging that he had provided false information in his affidavit to the Election Commission. A spokesperson from AAP asserted that there were 10 FIRs filed against him. Furthermore, the party also released a written complaint, dated 14 August 2006, submitted to the Director (Horticulture) DDA by a deputy director. In this complaint, the deputy director identified Bidhuri as one of the individuals who had threatened him when he attempted to reclaim a piece of land that was illegally occupied. The officer stated that while his complaint was recorded, no FIR was registered. AAP also released an affidavit from a security officer at the Archaeological Survey of India, which was submitted to the Delhi Lokayukta in August 2014. This affidavit detailed complaints against Bidhuri and his nephew for attempting to encroach upon DDA property. Bidhuri denied the charges and accused AAP of attempting to spoil his reputation due to the defection of several of its members to the BJP. The Times of India On January 9, Bidhuri issued a legal notice to AAP, asserting that the party members were making baseless accusations against him, highlighting that in eight out of the 10 cases mentioned by AAP, his name was not even mentioned. The Times of India
• Activist Assault Case: In 2019, Bidhuri and his four companions were cleared of charges in a 2004 case of assault of a social activist by a Delhi court. The court reached this decision due to conflicting statements from witnesses. The other individuals accused in the case were Azad Singh, Mahesh Pandit, Suresh, and Prakash. They had been charged under Section 323 (voluntarily causing hurt) and Section 34 (common intention) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC). The complainant, Ram Shankar, had asserted that Bidhuri had verbally abused him during an event, and later, Bidhuri and his associates physically attacked him. NDTV
• Accused of Incomplete Disclosure of Information: Following the 2019 Lok Sabha election, AAP leader Raghav Chadha accused Bidhuri of not fully disclosing information in his candidate affidavit for the South Delhi constituency. Chadha approached the the Delhi High Court, challenging the election results that declared Bidhuri the winner. In his plea, Chadha requested that the election results be invalidated, and he, having secured the second-highest number of votes in the constituency, be declared the the winning candidate. Subsequently, Justice Sanjeev Narula issued a notice to Bidhuri and the BJP, asking for their response to Chadha's petition. The court also instructed the returning officer to safeguard the election records related to the South Delhi parliamentary polls. The Indian Express
• Accused of Using Sexist and Abusive Language: In 2015, five women MPs, Ranjeet Ranjan (Congress), Sushmita Dev (TMC), Supriya Sule (NCP), Arpita Ghosh (TMC), and PK Sreemathi Teacher (CPI(M)), lodged a complaint with the Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan regarding the offensive and sexist language used by Bidhuri in Parliament when addressing women. The Economic Times During a media conversation, MP from Supaul Ranjeet Ranjan stated,
"There was this instance during the budget speech discussion when I talked of the need to give benefits to single women and he turned around saying I should divorce my husband first and then such benefits can be given to me.”
However, Bidhuri dismissed the allegations saying,
"I have no personal fight with them and I used no such language. They are using these allegations as a diversionary tactic. Ye mahila hone ka naajayaz fayda utha rahi hein. (they are taking undue advantage of being women). They were creating a nuisance in Parliament and we opposed it. Let them pull out old recordings and show when I have used abusive language.”
• Remarks on Sonia Gandhi and Mayawati (2017): During a public rally in Mathura in 2017, he made some derogatory comments about former Congress President Sonia Gandhi and Mayawati. The Times of India He said,
"Italy me aise sanskar hote honge k, shadi k 5-7 mahine bad pota ya poti bhi aa jaye, Bhartiya sanskriti me aise sanskar nahi hai.” (A grandchild may be born within 5-7 months in Italy but in our culture it doesn’t work that way)"
He even drew Mayawati into the remarks and said,
"Aise sanskar Congress me ya Mayawati ji k ghar me hote honge… Bhartiya sanskriti me aise sanskar nahi hai” (This kind of culture would either be in Mayawati’s home or Congress family but it’s not there in the Indian culture)"
• Calling Arvind Kejriwal ‘Pimp’(2019): In May 2019, during a public gathering in Delhi's Mehrauli, Bidhuri used derogatory language to insult Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, referring to him as a 'pimp.' The rally was arranged to secure support from the Purvanchali community for Bidhuri's candidacy in the 2019 general election. The Quint During the rally, Bidhuri said,
"Abey, ye Kejriwal bhi bhadwa hai. Ye kab tak rokega? He only has five to six months left” (Kejriwal is a pimp. How long will he be able to stop the case?)"
AAP leader Raghav Chadha filed a formal complaint with the Delhi chief electoral officer regarding this issue. Subsequently, the Election Commission (EC) issued a notice to Bidhuri in response to the offensive comments.
• Taking a Dig At the Parents of a Child (2022): In 2022, Bidhuri allegedly mocked the parent of a child who asked him for assistance with a school-related issue by saying,
"Why do you give birth to a child in the first place?” Live Mint
• Calling Arvind Kejriwal a 'Bona Duryodhana' (2023): In 2023, Bidhuri launched a scathing attack on Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal indirectly comparing him to the character of 'Duryodhana' during a debate over the Government of National Capital Territory of Delhi (Amendment) Bill. The Times of India He said,
"Well said Dwarf Duryodhan. Due to just 3 days of rain in Delhi, all the roads of Delhi were converted into lakes. Crores of scams in the name of making rooms in schools, the so-called World Class Mohalla Clinic is a den of animals and alcoholics.”
• Calling BSP MP Danish Ali a 'Mullah Terrorist' in Lok Sabha (2023): In 2023, Bidhuri used violent anti-Muslim remarks against MP Kunwar Danish Ali of the Bahujan Samaj Party. Bidhuri’s words were televised as part of the Lok Sabha proceedings. He said,
“Yeh ugrawaaadi (militant), yeh aatankwaadi hai (terrorist), ugrawaadi hai, yeh aantankwaadi hai,” He also reportedly referred to Ali as a “Mullah aatankwadi, bharwa (pimp) and katwa (circumcised).”
Consequently, Danish Ali wrote as letter to Speaker Om Birla seeking action against Bidhuri. Later, the BJP issued a show-cause notice to the MP, seeking a reply in 10 days as to why action should not be taken against him. Meanwhile, Ali said that if action was not taken against Bidhuri, he could consider quitting from the House. Deccan Herald
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||2 March 1987|
|Children||Son(s)- Himanshu Bidhuri (advocate), Prashant Bidhuri
Daughter- Ankita Bidhuri
|Parents||Father- Ram Rikh (social worker)
Mother- Charto Devi
|Siblings||He has three older brothers and one younger brother. His younger brother, Virendra Singh Bidhuri, is also a politician.|
|Other||Nephew: Vikram Bidhuri (politician; served as the Spokesperson of BJP Delhi)
Relative: Vivek Bidhuri (deceased) (politician; served as Secretary of Delhi BJP)
|Car Collection||He has a Toyota Innova and two Mahindra Scorpios.|
• Cash: Rs 1,50,000
• Deposits in Banks: Rs 52,04,948
• Motor Vehicles: Rs 37,00,000
• Jewellery: Rs 7,89,500
• Agricultural Land: Rs 15,00,000
• Commercial Buildings: Rs 7,50,00,000
• Residential Buildings: Rs 4,15,00,000
Note: The given estimates of movable and immovable assets are according to the financial year 2019. It does not include assets owned by his wife and dependents. MyNeta
|Net Worth (as of 2019)||Rs. 12,94,39,789
Note: It does not include the net worth of his wife and dependents. MyNeta
Some Lesser Known Facts About Ramesh Bidhuri
- Ramesh Bidhuri is an Indian politician and member of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). He was elected to parliament from South Delhi constituency in 2014 and 2019. He served as the MLA from Tughlakabad from 2003 to 2015.
- His family maintained a longstanding association with the Rashtriya Swayam Sewak Sangh (RSS), a right-wing Hindu nationalist group. Consequently, Bidhuri also became a member of the RSS at a young age. His grandfather was a philanthropist and allocated a substantial portion of his inherited land for the establishment of an Arya Samaj Mandir, a school, and a hospital in Tughlakabad village.
- His inclination towards politics began during his formative years. He actively participated in debating competitions throughout his school and college life.
- In 1983, he joined the right-wing student organization Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP).
- He completed his LLB in 2009 and enrolled as an advocate in the Delhi High Court.
- His younger brother Virendra Singh Bidhuri is the former Janta Dal United national Secretary. In 2014, he was sentenced to jail for one year in a theft case by a Delhi court in 2014. The Indian Express
- Apart from being a politician, he is also the owner of a stone crusher business.
- In 2016, Bidhuri filed a defamation lawsuit using Section 500 of the IPC against Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal. Bidhuri asserted that Kejriwal had spoiled his reputation during an interview with a news channel. In the interview, Kejriwal claimed that despite several pending criminal cases against Bidhuri, the Delhi police were not pursuing any legal action against him. Meanwhile, Bidhuri asserted that he had no pending cases against him and accused Kejriwal of defaming him. In February 2016, the court issued a summons to Kejriwal. In July, Kejriwal was granted bail on a personal bond of Rs 10,000. He was finally acquitted of the charges in 2020.
- In 2022, Bidhuri issued a defamation notice to AAP MLA Saurabh Bhardwaj, claiming that Bhardwaj had made baseless charges against BJP leaders. Bhardwaj had alleged that BJP leaders were involved in encroachment and unauthorised construction, providing a list of supposed encroachers that included Bidhuri. To counter the allegations, Bidhuri presented evidence such as his electricity bill and other documents related to his property during a press conference. Bidhuri asserted that, in contrast, it was AAP MLAs who had encroached upon public land and property assigned to community centres. The Times of India