Wife: Narayanan Prithi
Age: 34 Years
|Other Name||R Ashwin
|Profession||Cricketer (Spin Bowler)|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 188 cm
in meters- 1.88 m
in feet inches- 6’ 2”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 75 kg
in pounds- 165 lbs
|International Debut||ODI- 5 June 2010 against Sri Lanka at Harare
Test- 6 November 2011 against West Indies at Delhi
T20- 12 June 2010 against Zimbabwe at Harare
|Jersey Number||#99 (India)
|Domestic/State Team||Chennai Super Kings, Dindigul Dragons, Rising Pune Supergiants, Tamil Nadu, Worcestershire|
|Favourite Ball||Carrom ball|
|Records (main ones)||• Fastest Indian bowler to take 50 & 100 wickets in Test cricket.
• Joint record (with Ian Botham and Jack Gregory) of fastest to the take 50 wickets and score 500 runs (11th Tests).
• In 2016, he became the 2nd fastest bowler to take 200 Test wickets (37th match), after Australian spin bowler Clarrie Grimmett who achieved it in his 36th match.
• In 2017, he became the fastest bowler to take 300 Test wickets (54th match), breaking Australian fast bowler Dennis Lillee's record (56th match).
• The 5th Indian bowler to take 300 wickets in Test cricket, after Anil Kumble (619), Kapil Dev (434), Harbhajan Singh (417) and Zaheer Khan (311).
• The 3rd Indian to receive the ICC Cricketer of the Year award, after Rahul Dravid and Sachin Tendulkar.
• On 8 February 2021, during the 4th day of the first cricket test match between India and England, at MA Chidambaram Stadium, in Chennai, Ashwin became the first spinner in over 100 years of Test cricket to dismiss a batsman off the very first ball of an innings. After Ajinkya Rahane caught England opener Rory Burns in the slips off the very first ball of the second innings, Ashwin became only the third spinner in the 134-year history of the game to earn that rare distinction. The Hindu
|Career Turning Point||His remarkable performance in the 2010 Indian Premier League (IPL 3), after which he was selected in the Indian squad that toured Zimbabwe in May–June 2010.|
|Date of Birth||17 September 1986|
|Age (as of 2020)||34 Years|
|Birthplace||Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Hometown||Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India|
|School||Padma Seshadri Bala Bhavan, Chennai
St. Bede's Anglo Indian Higher Secondary School, Chennai
|College||Sri Sivasubramaniya Nadar College of Engineering (SSN), Chennai
|Educational Qualifications||B.Tech in Information Technology (IT)|
|Family||Father- Ravichandran (Worked in Southern Railways, Former club level cricketer)
|Address||A home in Postal colony, West Mambalam, Chennai-33|
|Hobbies||Reading, Watching movies, tennis, basket ball & football|
|Controversies||• In September 2016, during a Tamil Nadu Premier League (TNPL) match, he lost his temperament while batting for Dindigul Dragons against Chepauk Super Gillies. When the batsman on the other end, Jagadeesan Narayan got dismissed, Ashwin and Narayan had a verbal spat and physical tussle with the bowler Kishore who pushed Narayan and passed provocating comments.
• In December 2016, he was trolled on social media as he didn't mention the name of former captain MS Dhoni in his thank you speech after winning the ICC Best Test Cricketer Award.
• On 19 February 2018, Ashwin promoted a shoe brand on Twitter, to which former South African cricketer Herschelle Gibbs tweeted, "Hopefully you will be able to run faster now Ashwin." Ashwin counted his tweet by saying, "Surely not as fast as you did mate, unfortunately I was not as blessed as you were. But I was blessed with a wonderfully ethical mind not to fix games that put food on my plate." Soon after, Ashwin deleted the tweets respecting his "family of fans."
|Favourite Cricketer(s)||Batsman- Sachin Tendulkar, Clive Lloyd, Vivian Richards
Bowler- Shane Warne
All-rounder- Kapil Dev
|Favourite Athlete(s)||Diego Maradona, Marat Safin, Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Usain Bolt|
|Favourite Film(s)||Bollywood- 3 Idiots
Hollywood- Vertical Limit
Tamil- Boss Engira Baskaran
|Favourite Singer/Musician(s)||A. R. Rahman, Shoaib Bhushan|
|Girls, Family & More|
|Wife/Spouse||Narayanan Prithi (m.2011 - present)
|Marriage Date||13 November 2011|
|Children||Daughters- Akhira (born in 2015), Aadhya (born in 2016)
|Salary (as in 2018)||Retainer Fee: ₹5 crore
Test Fee: ₹15 lakh
ODI Fee: ₹6 lakh
T20 Fee: ₹3 lakh
IPL 11: ₹7.6 crore
Some Lesser Known Facts About Ravichandran Ashwin
- Does Ravichandran Ashwin smoke?: No
- Ashwin was born into a Tamil-Brahmin family with a sports background as his father used to play cricket at the club level as a fast bowler.
- The subject that he used to hate the most was Maths.
- His wife, Prithi studied with him in during high schooling.
- He was a mischievous kid in his school days.
- He started playing cricket as an opening batsman, but at the age of 14, he injured his pelvic area that caused a ligament tear in the hip bones, after which he dropped the idea of becoming a batsman.
- Initially, he started as a fast bowler, but his mother felt that it’s not suiting him, so she suggested him to do spin bowling, which proved to be the right call.
- His aspirations to become a genuine spinner skyrocketed when he went to the National Cricket Academy, captained his team and took a 7-wicket haul.
- He took atleast one wicket in his debut match across all formats (T20I, ODI, Test).
- He was bestowed with the Arjuna Award by the Government of India Arjuna award — India’s highest sporting honour — in 2014.
- Cricket pundits often consider him as the perfect blend of former Indian spin bowler Bishan Singh Bedi, Bhagwat Chandrasekhar, and Erapalli Prasanna.
- His all-time favourite skipper is Sourav Ganguly.
- He was the guest contestant on Vijay TV’s ‘Neengalum Vellalam Oru Kodi’ (Tamil version of ‘Kaun Banega Crorepati’) that was hosted by Suriya.
- He is an avid dog lover and whenever he is in Chennai, he loves to take his dogs for a walk in the night.
- He is a movie freak and loves watching every new release at Chennai’s Sathyam Cinema.
- His favorite superhero is ‘Batman.’
- On 25 March 2019, playing for Kings XI Punjab against Rajasthan Royals, Ashwin dismissed Jos Buttler in a run out popularly called ‘Mankading’. Though this is a legally permissible dismissal, it is considered against the spirit of the game, and for the same, Ashwin received heavy criticism from every corner.
can you believe Ashwin world's best spinner😂😂😂 pic.twitter.com/P3S2uuHKXp
— ketan sawant (@SawantKetan225) March 25, 2019