S. Jaishankar Age, Caste, Wife, Family, Biography & More
Hometown: New Delhi
Age: 64 Years
|Full Name||Subrahmanyam Jaishankar|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 165 cm
in meters- 1.65 m
in feet inches- 5’ 5”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 65 kg
in pounds- 143 lbs
|Service||Indian Foreign Service|
|Major Designation(s)||1979: First Secretary at Indian Mission in Moscow, Russia
1985: First Secretary at Indian Embassy in Washington, D.C.
1988: Political adviser to the Indian Peacekeeping Force (IPKF) and the First Secretary at Indian Mission in Sri Lanka
1996: Deputy Chief of Mission at the Indian Embassy in Tokyo
2000: India’s ambassador to the Czech Republic
2004: Joint Secretary (America) at the Ministry of External Affairs in New Delhi
2007: India's High Commissioner to Singapore
2009: India's longest serving Ambassador to China with a tenure of four and a half years
2013: India's Ambassador to the United States in September 2013
2015: Foreign Secretary of India
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||Honoured with the Padma Shri in 2019 by the Narendra Modi Government|
|Political Party||Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)
|Political Journey||• In May 2019, he was inducted into the Narendra Modi's Cabinet as the External Affairs Minister.
• On 8 July 2019, he took the oath as a Rajya Sabha Member; after winning the Rajya Sabha Elections from Gujarat.
|Date of Birth||9 January 1955|
|Age (as in 2018)||64 Years|
|School||Air Force Central School, New Delhi|
|College/University||• St. Stephen’s College, New Delhi
• Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi
|Educational Qualification||• Graduation from St. Stephen's College, New Delhi
• MA in Political Science & International Relations with specialization in Nuclear Diplomacy from JNU, New Delhi
|Relationships & More|
• Dhruva Jaishankar
• Arjun Jaishankar
Daughter- Medha Jaishankar
|Parents||Father- K. Subrahmanyan (Journalist and Civil Servant)
• Sanjay Subramanyan (Historian)
• S. Vijay Kumar (Former Rural Development Secretary of India)
|Salary (approx.)||Rs.1 Lac + Additional Allowances (as Cabinet Minister)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About S. Jaishankar
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar is the Union Minister of External Affairs in the Narendra Modi‘s Cabinet. He is the former Foreign Secretary of India.
- He joined the Indian Foreign Service (IFS) and the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) in 1977.
- During 1982-1984, he was part of the team that resolved the dispute over the supply of US nuclear fuel to the Tarapur Power Stations in India.
- In 1993, he served as the Director (East Europe) in the Ministry of External Affairs and as the Press Secretary and speechwriter for the then President of India Shankar Dayal Sharma.
- From 2004 to 2007, he was involved in negotiating the US-India civil nuclear agreement and improving defence co-operation, including relief operations following the 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami.
- In 2013, he was being considered for the post of the Union Foreign Minister by Manmohan Singh, but he couldn’t appoint him due to internal pressure.
- During his tenure as High Commissioner of Singapore, he helped implement the Comprehensive Economic Cooperation Agreement (CECA) that expanded Indian business in Singapore.
- He is the only Indian Ambassador to China who has visited Tibet.
- He was appointed as the Indian Ambassador to the United States in September 2013. He formally presented his credentials to the then US President, Barack Obama at the Oval Office on 10 March 2014.
- While he was working as the Foreign Secretary of India, he worked on many crucial foreign policies with the then External Affairs Minister of India, Sushma Swaraj.
- On 30 May 2019, he was appointed as the Union Minister for External Affairs by the Narendra Modi Government.
- Jaishankar is the only person in Narendra Modi’s Cabinet who was inducted into the ministry without contesting the Lok Sabha Elections or being a member of the Rajya Sabha.