Some Lesser Known Facts About Abu Jani
- Abu Jani is one of the well-known names in the fashion industry; who works as a duo with Sandeep Khosla.
- He was born and brought up in a well-off Muslim family in Mumbai.
- He has a great interest in the art since his childhood. His school books were full of sketches and doodles.
- In an interview, he said, “I started tracing for my neighbour, who used to embroider when I was in the eighth grade.”
- He applied at the JJ School of Arts to study art but his application got rejected. Then, he started finding other outlets for his creativity and finally switched to fashion.
- He started working with famous designer Xerxes Bhartena and assisted him in designing outfits for various movies. He worked with him for almost five years.
- He began freelancing and designed costumes for ad whiz Alyque Padamsee’s musical Evita and also for the musical Grease Lighting.
- Then, he worked in an export house for a short period and learned the tricks of embroidery and designing there. After this, he started working with boutiques.
- In August 1986, he met Sandeep Khosla by chance. Both started working together and immediately opened a boutique “Mata Hari” in Mumbai (India). Their very first collection was in natural fabrics. Both became famous instantly after Jaya Bachchan, Dimple Kapadia, and Parmeshwar Godrej became their clients.
- In the same year, they got an offer to design for the Raymond fabrics campaign. After this, they designed on-screen costumes for Madhuri Dixit, Amrita Singh, and Sonu Walia.
- In 1987, they accepted Tarun Tahiliani’s invitation to join him in his store, Ensemble (first couture store in the country), in Mumbai. In the same year, Abu and Sandeep launched their new label “Jashan” to sell their garments.
- In 1991, the duo created their signature collection named “Architecture.” This collection was inspired by the Purana Qila (The Mughal Era Fort in Delhi).
- In 1994, they launched their Chikan line, and soon they published their first book named ‘Classic Chikan.’
- Apart from Fashion designing, they also love interior designing. The furniture line of the duo was launched at Bombay’s Bajaj Gallery in 1993.
- In 1995, the duo became the first designers to represent their collection at Roosevelt House (the residence of Frank Wisner, the US Ambassador in New Delhi). They showcased their collections in different events continuously and earned great fame.
- In 2005, they participated in Lakme Fashion Week and played the part of Creative Directors of Lakme Fashion House. In the same year, Rajasthan Government invited them to present their collections at the Annual Jaipur Festival.
- In 2007, they launched a diffusion label, ‘ABU SANDEEP.’ The first store of this label was opened in New Delhi.
- In 2008, Abu Jani and Sandeep Khosla anchored a TV show, “The First Ladies with Abu Sandeep.” In the show, the duo interacted with famous personalities including Jaya Bachchan, Nita Ambani, Usha Mittal, Maharani Padmini Devi, and Sussanne Khan.
- In 2011, the duo celebrated their 25 years of working together.
- The duo has opened their retail flagship outlines at Bangalore, Mumbai, and Delhi.
- The duo designed the costumes for the characters including Kareena Kapoor, Sonam Kapoor, Swara Bhaskar, and Shikha Talsania in the film ‘Veere Di Wedding’ (2018).
- The outfit that Sonam Kapoor had worn in the Sangeet ceremony of her wedding was also designed by Abu Jani and Sandeep Khosla.
- In an interview, Sandeep Khosla said, “We always work furiously and on several things. It’s the creative urge that should always find expression. The coming year will see us committed to establishing Khosla Jani across the globe and growing in India.”
📢⚡TRENDING: URI is surging to become a Blockbuster, check the salary of Uri actors here⚡