|Real Name||Satyapal Singh|
|Profession||Civil Servant (Retired IPS) & Politician|
|Political Party||Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)
|Political Journey||• On 2 February 2014, joined BJP
• On 26 May 2014, elected to the Lok Sabha from Baghpat, Uttar Pradesh
• On 3 September 2017, appointed Minister of State for Human Resource Development (Higher Education)
|Service||Indian Police Service (IPS)|
|Postings||• Assistant Superintendent of Police of Nasik
• Superintendent of Police, Gadchiroli district
• Superintendent of Police of Buldhana
• Inspector General of Police, Nagpur Range
• Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime), Mumbai
• Special Inspector General, Konkan Range
• Police Commissioner of Nagpur
• Police Commissioner, Pune
• Additional Director General of Police (ADGP) of Maharashtra
• Police Commissioner of Mumbai
|Awards/Honours||• Special Service Medal for extraordinary work in the Naxalite areas of Andhra Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh
• President's Police Medal for meritorious service in 1996
• DG's Insignia in 1996
• Shanti Doot International Award - the honour is conferred by the World Peace Movement Trust India
• President's Police Medal for distinguished service in 2004
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 173 cm
in meters- 1.73 m
in feet inches- 5’ 8”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 60 kg
in pounds- 132 lbs
|Date of Birth||29 November 1955|
|Age (as in 2017)||62 Years|
|Birth Place||Basauli, Baghpat [NCR]|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Sagittarius|
|Hometown||Baghpat, Uttar Pradesh|
|College/University||Digamber Jain College, Baraut
The University of Wollongong, Australia
|Educational Qualification||MSc (Chemistry) from Digamber Jain College, Baraut in 1976
M.Phil (Chemistry) from Delhi University in 1978
M.A. (Public Administration) from Nagpur University in 1989
PhD in Naxalism from Nagpur University in 1993
MBA from the University of Wollongong, Australia
|Family||Father- Ram Kishan
Mother- Name Not Known
Brother- Not Known
Sister- Not Known
|Address||House No. 158 Village Basauli, Tehsil-Baraut, District- Baghpat, Uttar Pradesh|
|Hobbies||Doing Yoga, Reading, Writing, Travelling|
|Controversies||• In 2010, he courted controversy when he refused clearance to renew the then Maharashtra Home minister Ramesh Bagwe's passport, citing the minister had no less than 19 cases pending against him.
• In 2013, he stirred the media when he endorsed Raavan as a model of masculine etiquette, who set the benchmark for chivalry when he abstained from touching Sita -- after abducting her.
• In December 2017, he attracted a controversy when he made a remark on women's attire. He said, "no boy will marry a girl if she decides to come to mandap wearing jeans."
• In January 2018, he again attracted a controversy with his statement that Charles Darwin's Theory of Evolution is scientifically wrong and should not be taught in schools and colleges because "no one saw an ape turning into a man."
|Favourite Politician(s)||Atal Bihari Vajpayee, Narendra Modi|
|Favourite Subject(s)||Philosophy, Sociology, Vedic Studies, Sanskrit|
|Favourite Book||Satyarth Prakash by Maharishi Dayanand Saraswati|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Wife/Spouse||Alka Singh (Politician)
|Marriage Date||Year, 1982|
|Children||Son- Praket Arya
Daughters- Charu Pragya, Richa Prama
|Salary (as a Lok Sabha Member)||₹50,000 + Other Allowances|
|Net Worth||₹7 Crore (as in 2014)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Satyapal Singh
- Does Satyapal Singh smoke?: Not Known
- Does Satyapal Singh drink alcohol?: Not Known
- He is a vocal proponent of vegetarianism.
- Before joining the Indian Police Service, he wanted to become a scientist.
- During his tenure as a Police Officer in Mumbai, he is credited with cracking the organised crime syndicates including the Chhota Shakeel, Chhota Rajan, and Arun Gawli gangs, which terrorised Mumbai in the 1990s.
- As Police Commissioner of Nagpur, he started a campaign called “Mission Mrityunjay.” The campaign involved college students in the fight against terror activities who assisted the police in intelligence gathering and reported suspicious and anti-social activities on campus and in the city. He formed 386 such clubs in the city, during his stint.
- During his stint as the Nagpur Police Chief, he had also busted the ‘Matka’ gangs, in which a local politician’s link with the high-profile racket was unearthed.
- The 2010 Pune bombing took place during his tenure as the Pune Police Commissioner.
- In June 2011, he requested the court to relieve him citing differences of opinion between two other SIT members- Satish Verma and Mohan Jha, when he was appointed the chairman of a special investigation team constituted by the Gujarat High Court to probe the Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case.
- On 23 August 2012, he was appointed the Police Commissioner of Mumbai.
- On 31 January 2014, he applied for the voluntary retirement scheme (VRS) and tendered his resignation.
- He is the first serving Police Commissioner of Mumbai to resign from his post.
- On 1 February 2014, in an interview to the Economic Times, he stated his reason for quitting- “My inner voice is telling me that it’s time to change profession. As a police officer, I have worked for the people of Mumbai and Maharashtra for many years, but now it’s time to work for the entire country with a renewed energy.”
- On 2 February 2014, Mr. Singh joined BJP in the presence of the then Gujarat CM Narendra Modi and BJP chief Rajnath Singh.
- On 21 January 2018, his claim that Darwin’s Theory of Evolution is wrong, started doing rounds in media. He claimed that “Darwin’s theory wrong, nobody saw an ape turning into a man”.
- Dr. Singh is also the author of two bestselling books- one on tackling the Naxal menace, and the other titled “Talash Insaan Ki” (The Search for Man). The Urdu translation of “Talash Insaan Ki” was released by Amitabh Bachchan and Javed Akhtar.
📢⚡TRENDING: Watch the biography of REAL "Gully Boy" - Naezy⚡