|Real Name||Subramanian Swamy|
|Party||Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)
|Political Journey||• He became one of the founding members of Janata Dal during Emergency in the country.
• Between 1974 and 1999, Swamy was elected Member of Parliament for 5 times
• Swamy served as a member of Planning Commission of India and as a Cabinet Minister of Commerce and Law between 1990-91.
• Dr. Swamy served as the Chairman of the Commission on Labour Standards and International Trade between 1994 and 1996.
• After serving as the President of Janata Party till 2013, he officially joined Bhartiya Janata Party when Rajnath Singh was the party president.
• In 2016, he was made a Member of Rajya Sabha by the President of India.
|Biggest Rival||Not Known|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height||in centimeters- 173 cm
in meters- 1.73 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 8”
|Weight||in Kilograms- 76 kg
in Pounds- 168 lbs
|Date of Birth||15 September 1939|
|Age (as in 2017)||78 Years|
|Birth Place||Mylapore, Madras Presidency, India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Virgo|
|Hometown||Chennai, Tamil Nadu|
|College||Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata, India|
|University||University of Delhi
|Educational Qualifications||B.Sc. Mathematics
PhD in Economics
|Debut||Academic- After obtaining his doctorate in Economics from Harvard University in 1965, Swamy became an assistant professor at the same university and later in 1969, he was made an associate professor.
Politics- Swamy got involved in an apolitical movement, Sarvodaya which later resulted in the formation of a political party called Janata Party.
|Family||Father- Sitaram Subramanian
Mother- Padmavati Subramanian
Brother- Ram Subramanian
Sister- Not Known
|Address||AB-14, Pandara Road,
|Controversies||• Swamy erupted controversy with his tweet seeking the removal of former RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan, adding that he is mentally not completely Indian.
• Just as the Finance Minister Arun Jaitley was beamed by TV channels in Beijing wearing coat and tie, Swamy made yet another remark on his rival saying "BJP should direct our Ministers to wear traditional and modernized Indian clothes while abroad. In coat and tie, they look like waiters.”
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Wife||Roxna Swamy (m. 1966)
Daughter- Gitanjali Swamy (Entrepreneur & Private equity professional)
Suhasini Haider (Print & Television Journalist)
|Net Worth (approx.)||INR 1,75,11,340 (as of 2004)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Subramanian Swamy
- Does Subramanian Swamy smoke: Not Known
- Does Subramanian Swamy drink alcohol: Not Known
- In 1963, when Swamy was pursuing his doctorate in Economics at Harvard, he worked as an Assistant Economics Affairs Officer at United Nations Secretariat in New York City. Nobel Laureate Simon Kuznets was his thesis adviser there.
- Upon completion of Ph.D., Swamy started teaching at Harvard in 1965 as an assistant professor and later on, he was made the associate professor in 1969.
- Swamy then moved to India and started teaching Mathematical Economics at IIT, Delhi. He was fired from the Institute in the early 70s by its board of governors. However, the Supreme Court of India reappointed him in the late 90s.
- He served on the Board of Governors of the IIT, Delhi from 1977 to 1980 and on the Council of IITs from 1980 to 1982.
- Dr. Swamy resigned as a professor from Indian Institute of Technology in 1991 to hold on to his new responsibility as a Cabinet Minister.
- Subramanian used to teach at Harvard in the summer session and kept teaching until 2011.
- President Pranab Mukherjee nominated Subramanian Swamy as one of the 12 Rajya Sabha members in 2016.
- Swamy is known for his anti-corruption caliber and has filed several petitions in the Supreme Court against many politicians for their direct or indirect involvement in the scams.
- As of January 2017, he has published 20 books, 2 articles, and 11 research papers in the field of economics and politics.
📢⚡TRENDING: List of IPL Winners (2008-2018)