Death Cause: COVID-19
Age: 82 Years
Death Date: 06/05/2021
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 160 cm
in meters- 1.60 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 3”
|Political Parties||• Janata Dal (1989)
• Rashtriya Lok Dal (1996)
|Political Journey||• 1986: Elected to the Rajya Sabha from Uttar Pradesh
• 1989 & 1991: Elected to the Lok Sabha from the Baghpat constituency
• From December 1989 to November 1990, served as Minister of Industry in V. P. Singh's cabinet
• 1991: served as Minister of Food in P. V. Narasimha Rao's cabinet
• 1999, 2004, and 2009: Re-elected to the Lok Sabha.
• 1999 & 2014: Lost to the BJP candidates in Lok Sabha elections
• From 2001 to 2003: served as Minister of Agriculture in Atal Bihari Vajpayee's governmen
• 2011-2014: Minister of Civil Aviation in the UPA government.
|Date of Birth||12 February 1939 (Sunday)|
|Birthplace||Bhadola Village, Meerut, Uttar Pradesh, India|
|Date of Death||6 May 2021 (Thursday)|
|Place of Death||Gurugram, Haryana, India|
|Age (at the time of death)||82 Years|
|College/University||• IIT Kharagpur
• Illinois Institute of Technology
|Educational Qualification(s)||• B.Tech in Computer Science from IIT Kharagpur
• A master's degree from the Illinois Institute of Technology
|Address||R/o 16 Green Revenue Church Road Vasant Kunj New Delhi|
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||17 June 1967|
|Children||Son- Jayant Chaudhary (Politician)
Daughter- He is survived by two daughters.
|Parents||Father- Chaudhary Charan Singh (Former Chief Minister Uttar Pradesh)
Mother- Gayatri Devi
• Satyavati Solanki
• Vedvati Singh
• Gyanvati Singh
• Saroj Verma
• Sharda Singh
|Politician(s)||Atal Bihari Vajpayee, Mahendra Singh Tikait, and Pranab Mukherjee|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Ajit Sing
- Chaudhary Ajit Singh was an Indian politician who was the son of the former Prime Minister of India late Chaudhary Charan Singh. Ajit Singh founded Rashtriya Lok Dal, a political party in Western Uttar Pradesh, in 1996.
- In childhood, he wanted to become an engineer. After earning a B.Sc. degree from Lucknow University, he went to IIT Kharagpur to study engineering. Later, he earned a master’s degree in science from the Illinois Institute of Technology in the United States.
- Ajit Singh worked as a computer scientist in the United States for 15 years. In the 1960s, he became the first Indian to work at IBM.
- In the 1980s, he had to return to India after his father, Chaudhary Charan Singh, fell ill. Later, Ajit became the chief of Rashtriya Lok Dal.
- In 1986, he was elected to the Rajya Sabha. In 1989, he was elected to the Lok Sabha from the Baghpat constituency for the first time, and later, he went on to become a Member of Parliament from the Baghpat constituency in Western Uttar Pradesh seven times; however, in 1998, he lost this seat to Satyapal of the BJP.
- From 2001 to 2003, he served as a minister in the Cabinet of Atal Bihari Vajpayee‘s government.
- In 2011, he became part of the UPA government and served as the Union Minister of Civil Aviation in Manmohan Singh‘s government.
- He lost the 2019 Lok Sabha elections from the Muzaffarnagar constituency.
- From 1990 to 2000, Ajit Singh fought for many rights of farmers. He considered Baba Mahendra Singh Tikait as a Messiah of farmers, and he started following in his footsteps.
- On 20 April 2021, he was tested positive for the COVID-19 following which he was admitted to a private hospital in Gurugram. On 6 May 2021, his son, Jayant Chaudhary took to social media to announce the demise of Ajit Singh.
- Later, many prominent people including Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed their condolences on the demise of Chaudhary Ajit Singh.