Amit Khare Age, Caste, Wife, Family, Biography & More
Age: 60 Years
Wife: Nidhi Khare (IAS Officer)
|Profession||Civil Servant (retired Indian Administrative Service officer)|
|Famous for||Being appointed as advisor to Prime Minister Narendra Modi in October 2021|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 165 cm
in meters- 1.65 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 5”
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Service||Indian Administrative Service (IAS)|
|Major Designation(s)||• Assistant Collector (1 September 1987 - 1 August 1989)
• Joint Secretary Liaison/Protocol/Personnel and General Administration (1 August 1989 - 1 December 1989)
• Deputy Development Commissioner (1 December 1989 - 1 April 1992)
• District Collector and District Magistrate, Darbhanga (1 April 1992 - 1 May 1994)
• Additional Secretary Administrative Reforms/Personnel and General Administration (1 May 1995 - 1 April 1995)
• District Collector and District Magistrate, West Singhbhum (Chaibassa) (1 April 1995 - 1 January 1997)
• Controller Education/Human Resource Development (1 January 1997 - 1 December 1998)
• Secretary Revenue/Finance (1 December 1998 - 1 February 1999)
• District Collector and District Magistrate, Patna (1 February 1999 - 1 April 1999)
• Secretary Revenue/Finance (1 April 1999 - 1 June 1999)
• Director Elementry Education/Human Resource Development (1 June 1999 - 1 March 2000)
• District Collector and District Magistrate, Patna (1 March 2000 - 25 November 2000)
• Commissioner Commercial Taxes/Finance (25 November 2000 - 1 August 2001)
• Finance Commissioner Joint Secretary (1 August 2001 - 14 September 2002)
• Joint Secretary Information/Information & Broadcasting (15 September 2002 - 6 December 2003)
• Joint Secretary Elementry Education/Human Resource Development (15 September 2002 - 17 February 2004)
• Principal Secretary to Governor of Jharkhand Ved Marwah (18 February 2004 - 27 August 2008)
• Joint Secretary Higher Education/Human Resource Development (28 August 2008 - 28 August 2014)
• Member Secretary Chemicals & Fertilizers/Chemicals & Fertilizers (29 August 2014 - 7 April 2015)
• Principal Secretary Finance (8 April 2015 - 31 March 2016)
• Additional Chief Secretary Banking/Finance (31 March 2016 - 17 May 2018)
• Secretary Information & Broadcasting (31 May 2018 - 16 December 2019)
• Secretary M/o Education D/o Higher Education (16 December 2019 - 30 September 2021)
• Advisor to Prime Minister Narendra Modi (October 2021 - October 2023)
|Retirement Year||September 2021|
|Retired as||Secretary M/o Education D/o Higher Education|
|Awards||Second Prize Phase V Mid Career Training Programme for IAS Officer by Director & Course Coordinator LBSNAA in 2014|
|Date of Birth||14 September 1961 (Thursday)|
|Age (as of 2021)||60 Years|
|School||Kendriya Vidyalaya, Hinoo, Ranchi, Jharkhand|
|College/University||• St. Stephen's College, Delhi
• Syracuse University, New York
|Educational Qualification(s) Supremo||• B.Sc. (Hons.) (Physics) from St. Stephen's College
• M.B.A. from IIM Ahmedabad
• Certificate in Public Administration from Syracuse University
|Caste||Chitraguptvanshi Kayastha Jagran|
|Relationships & More|
|Wife/Spouse||Nidhi Khare (IAS officer)
|Siblings||Brother- Atul Khare (elder) (a 1984 batch Indian Foreign Service officer)
|Salary (as Secretary to the Union Government)||Rs. 225,000 India Today|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Amit Khare
- Amit Khare is a retired Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer of the 1985 batch from Jharkhand. In October 2021, he was appointed as advisor to Prime Minister Narendra Modi for two years on a contract basis.
- Amit Khare grew up in a Chitraguptvanshi Kayastha family in Ranchi, where he did his schooling at Kendriya Vidyalaya, Hinoo.
- Khare was a meritorious student, and he had topped the school in 1977, securing 79.3 percent marks. On the other hand, his elder brother Atul Khare, an Indian Foreign Service officer, had done even better and earned a very high score of 85.8 percent and topped Kendriya Vidyalayas throughout India in 1975. The Telegraph
- After completing his schooling in Jharkhand, he attended St. Stephen’s College in Delhi, where he earned a B.Sc. (Hons.) degree in Physics. Later, he earned an MBA degree from IIM-Ahmedabad.
- In 1985, Amit Khare cleared the UPSC examination and went to LBSNAA in Mussoorie for his training.
- After completing his training at LBSNAA in Mussoorie, he received his first posting as Assistant Collector on 1 September 1987. Later, he went on to serve various key positions in both state and union governments.
- Amit Khare is noted for exposing the Fodder scam in Bihar, in which more than Rs. 940 crores were embezzled over many years, and two successive chief ministers, Jagannath Mishra and Lalu Yadav, were imprisoned for their roles.
- Between April 1995 and January 1997, he was the DC for West Singhbhum when he smelled a rat while investigating reports of cash irregularities at the district animal husbandry department; at that time, he was in his early thirties. He noted that two separate withdrawals of Rs. 10 crore and Rs. 9 crores from the district animal husbandry department were made without any explanation. According to Khare, despite multiple inquiries, no response was received from the department.
- While investigating the Fodder Scam in Bihar, Khare visited the animal husbandry department in January 1996, where he found someone had tried to destroy files in a hurry. A similar pattern was observed in raids conducted in Ranchi and elsewhere the next day. Business Standard
- Amit Khare is also known to introduce the combined medical and engineering entrance examination in Bihar in 1997. Jagran
- Between 1996 and 1997, he took Public Policy Analysis training at the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad. Supremo
- Between 2002 and 2003, he underwent training for Basic Course on WTO at Administrative Staff College of India, Hyderabad. Supremo
- Between 2003 and 2004, he received training in E-Governance & its Benefits at Tata Management Training Centre, Pune. Supremo
- Education is an area of interest for him, and he has several years’ experience serving as the state Elementary education secretary. Moreover, he played a crucial role in introducing the National Education Policy 2020, which was approved by the cabinet on 29 July 2020.
- On 12 October 2021, Amit Khare was appointed as advisor to Prime Minister Narendra Modi for two years on a contract basis. Earlier, he retired as Secretary M/o Education D/o Higher Education on 30 September 2021.
- As the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting Secretary, Mr. Khare is known to have introduced revolutionary measures to the ministry.
- Amit Khare is a strong advocate of honesty and fearlessness, the attributes he received from his school principal R. R. Prasad. In an interview, Mr. Khare talked about this and said,
I learnt about honesty and fearlessness from my school principal R.R. Prasad. Honesty begets good results. It’s my own learning from life.”
|↑1, ↑7, ↑8, ↑9||Supremo|