Ayan Mukerji Height, Age, Girlfriend, Wife, Family, Biography & More
|Profession||Director, Producer, and Scriptwriter|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 175 cm
in meters- 1.75 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 9”
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Debut||• Assistant Director (film): Swades (2004)
• Director (film): Wake Up Sid (2009)
|Awards||• Filmfare Award in 2009 for Best Debut Director for the film Wake Up Sid
• Stardust Award in 2010 for the Hottest New Director for the film Wake Up Sid
• Producers Guild Film Award in 2010 for Best Debut Director for the film Wake Up Sid
• Producers Guild Film Award in 2014 for Best Screenplay for the film Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani
• Zee Cine Award in 2014 for Best Screen Play for the film Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani
• Zee Cine Award in 2014 for Best Director for the film Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani
Note: He has been nominated for several award functions such as Filmfare Awards, Producers Guild Film Award, and Zee Cine Awards.
|Date of Birth||15 August 1983 (Monday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||39 Years|
|Birthplace||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Hometown||Kolkata, West Bengal, India|
|School||Jamnabai Narsee School, Vile Parle, Mumbai|
|College/University||Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Technology, Versova, Mumbai|
|Educational Qualification||He dropped out of software engineering in the first year. India Today|
|Address||535, Hasnabad Lane, Willingdon, Santacruz West, Mumbai, Maharashtra-400054|
|Controversy||Accused of abusing drugs: In 2019, a video of a party taking place at Karan Johar's residence in Mumbai went viral. It was accused that the celebrities in the video were consuming narcotics substances. In the video, Ayan Mukerji was also spotted sitting with several Bollywood celebrities. After the incident, the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) asked for a clarification on the events that unfolded that night at the party from Karan Johar. Hindustan Times
|Relationships & More|
|Parents||Father- Deb Mukerji (actor)
Mother- Amrit Mukerji
|Grandparents||Grandfather: Sashadhar Mukherjee (filmmaker)
Grandmother: Sati Rani Devi
|Siblings||Step Sister- Sunita Gowariker (married to film director Ashutosh Gowariker)
|Film(s)||Hollywood: Singin' in the Rain, Beauty and the Beast
Bollywood: Lamhe, Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar, Dilwale Dulhania Le Jaayenge, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, and Dil Chahta Hai
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs 1,03,71,81,600 (as of 2022)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Ayan Mukerji
- Ayan Mukerji is an Indian director, actor, screenwriter, and producer. He is the director of the 2022 Bollywood film Brahmāstra: Part One – Shiva.
- Ayan Mukerji is from the famous Mukherjee-Samarth family. Ayan’s parents and grandparents have worked in the Indian film industry. His grandfather, Sashadhar Mukherjee, was a filmmaker. He was also the co-founder of the Filmalaya Studios in Amboli, Mumbai.
- During an interview, Ayan Mukerji claimed that after dropping out of his graduation, he approached his brother-in-law Ashutosh Gowariker, a film director, who gave him an opportunity to work alongside him as an assistant director in the 2004 Bollywood film titled Swades. He said,
I approached my brother-in-law Ashutosh Gowariker and he gave me an amazing window to the cinema. I will be for ever grateful to him.”
- Ayan Mukerji, in an interview, said that while working as an assistant director in the Bollywood film Swades, he got an opportunity to work closely with Shah Rukh Khan and developed a close bond, which boosted Ayan’s confidence to directly contact Karan Johar, a Bollywood film director and producer. While talking about it, Ayan said,
The stint helped me acquaint myself with superstar Shah Rukh Khan and gave me the much needed confidence to send a text message directly to Karan Johar. We later met at a film festival which was held in Goa in 2004 and I got a job of assisting Karan Johar on his film Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna.”
- Ayan Mukerji made a guest appearance in the 2005 Bollywood film titled Home Delivery. The film had Boman Irani, Ayesha Takia, and Vivek Oberoi as stars.
- In 2006, Ayan Mukerji assisted Karan Johar in directing the Bollywood film titled Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna. In the film, Ayan also made a cameo appearance.
- In 2008, Ayan Mukerji worked alongside Karan Johar in the Bollywood film Wake Up Sid. There, he not only directed the film but also wrote the script and screenplay for the film. The film was released in 2009.
- While giving an interview after the release of Wake Up Sid, Ayan Mukerji said that during the making of the film, he developed a very close bond with the Bollywood actor Ranbir Kapoor. He also expressed his gratitude to Ranbir for supporting him as a “newbie director.” He said,
He has become tied in with my creative process and life. There is a fear when two people work only and constantly with each other that they’ll tie each other down. But the honest truth is that there is nothing about the collaboration that feels wrong. It is only enriching the movies I want to make.”
- In 2013, Ayan Mukerji directed and wrote a script for Karan Johar’s film titled Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani. He also made a cameo appearance in the film.
- In 2022, Ayan Mukerji announced that he is working on a mythological Bollywood film, Brahmāstra. According to him, the film would be released in three parts and is inspired by Hindu mythology. The film will be starring Ranbir Kapoor, Alia Bhatt, and Amitabh Bachchan. While giving an interview, he said,
The threads with which Brahmastra has been woven go very deep. As a child, I grew up loving stories about Indian history. My father used to tell me a lot about our powerful gods and goddesses, and I was deeply affected by them. Shiv bhagwan and Vishnu bhagwan, Ganpati ji and Hanuman ji , maa durga and maa kaali. A certain spiritual depth and even science in Indian philosophy naturally infuse most people’s lives growing up in India.”
- In an interview, Ayan Mukerji claimed that he does not want to direct a Bengali film due to its limited reach. He said,
No, I do not want to make a film there. Language plays a very important role. Language is used to communicate your actual thought. Hindi films are the currency where I can reach more people and say what I want to say (sic).”
- According to Ayan Mukerji, to direct Brahmastra, he drew his inspiration from Hollywood films such as Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings. While talking about the film, he said,
As a teenager, I became a big reader, and like many others from my generation, I was very excited by certain fantasy series from the western world. The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter are among my all-time favorites. As a young filmmaker, I enjoyed greatly and observed closely how Hollywood regularly used technology to bring their storytelling alive as blockbuster cinema.”
- Popular Bollywood actresses like Kajol, Sharbani Mukerji, and Rani Mukerji are Ayan Mukerji’s cousin sisters.
- Ayan Mukerji drinks alcohol.