Age: 48 Years
Marital Status: Married
Hometown: Pune, Maharashtra
|Designation||Head of Project Planning and Program Management, Tata Motors|
|Famous For||Handling and working on the project for manufacturing the 'under 1 lakh' car - Tata Nano|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Date of Birth||2 December 1971|
|Age (as in 2019)||48 Years|
|College/University||• Maharashtra Institue of Technology, Pune
• SP Jain Institute of Management and Research, Mumbai
|Educational Qualification(s)||• Mechanical Engineering from Maharashtra Institute of Technology, Pune
• Post Graduation in a Manufacturing program from SP Jain Institute of Management and Research
|Relationships & More|
|Children||He has two kids.|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Girish Wagh
- Born and brought up in Pune, Girish Wagh completed his bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering from Maharashtra Institute of Technology. He then opted for a post-graduate program in the field of manufacturing from S P Jain Institute of Management and Research.
- After completing his graduation and post-graduation, Girish Wagh joined Tata Motors in the year 1993 when he was 23 years old. Starting his journey in the company, in the year 1997, he became a part of the development team for Tata Indica.
- Tata Motors MD Ravi Kant selected him from the company to work on a small commercial vehicle and because of his impressive skills, Tata Ace came out as the final product, and single-handedly, the vehicle defeated the recession in the commercial vehicle space. His ability to deliver products within tight timelines impressed Ratan Tata and Ravi Kant, and they decided to hand over the project of developing a small car to Girish Wagh.
- Wagh was given a project to develop a small car with a price badge of Rs. 1 lakh (approx.) and that met all the regulatory requirements. Using M-800 as an example, a team of almost 500 people worked together for more than 3 years to give the final product that was launched in the year 2008. The car was called Tata Nano, and Wagh and his team managed to keep the price close to Rs. 1 lakh. The Economic Times
- After the successful sales of Tata Nano, Tata Motors decided to move Girish Wagh from the passenger vehicles department and appointed him as the Head of Commercial Vehicle Business Unit. He also became a member of the executive committee and was transferred to Mumbai headquarters. Before him, Mr. Ravindra Pisharody was working as the executive director for commercial vehicles, and he was serving his notice period at that time. The Hindu
- Girish Wagh’s wife’s name is Deepali and he has two children. Girish Wagh is a very reserved person, and he does not make many public appearances. He also maintains a proper balance and distance between his work life and personal life.
- Girish Wagh is known as the person who put Tata on the right path for greater success with better vehicles. However, he is known as a very aggressive and demanding leader, which often unsettles the team.