|Controversies||• On 12 August 1997, when Gulshan Kumar gave a regular visit to a Shiva Temple in Andheri, Mumbai, two men hiding in the hutment colony near the temple fired 3 bullets at Kumar who fell to the ground and tried to crawl into one of the huts and asked a woman to shut the door to keep the killers out. But the woman was late to respond as she was nervous, which gave ample amount of time for the killers to fire another 15 bullets into Kumar's body. He was immediately taken to Cooper hospital, where he was declared dead on arrival. Kumar was getting threat calls from Abu Salem since 5 August 1997, but unfortunately, he chose to ignore it.
• On 30 August 1997, music composer Nadeem Akhtar Saifee of Nadeem-Shravan duo was declared a co-conspirator in Kumar's murder. Nadeem, who allegedly hired the killers, has been in the United Kingdom ever since.
• In October 1997, Ramesh Taurani, owner of Tips cassettes, was arrested on charges of supporting the crime. Taurani allegedly paid INR 25 lakh to Kumar's killers.
• In November 1997, the police filed a 400-page charge sheet where 26 people were accused. At that time, 15 accused were arrested and one of the accused, Mohammed Ali Shaikh, turned approver in the case.
• In January 2001, Abdul Rauf, alias Dawood Merchant, one of the accused, was arrested from Kolkata.
• In April 2002, 18 of the 19 accused were released, Abdul Rauf was found guilty and sentenced to life imprisonment.