|Full Name||Gulshan Kumar Dua|
|Profession(s)||Businessman, Film Producer|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 168 cm
in meters- 1.68 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 6”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 70 kg
in Pounds- 154 lbs
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Date of Birth||5 May 1951 India Today|
|Date of Death||12 August 1997|
|Place of Death||Near Jeeteshwar Mahadev Mandir, Andheri (North West), Mumbai|
|Death Cause||Murder (Shot dead)|
|Age (as in 1997)||46 Years|
|Birth Place||New Delhi, India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Leo|
|Hometown||New Delhi, India|
|College||Deshbandhu College, New Delhi|
|Debut||Music Production: Lallu Ram (1985)
Film Production: Lal Dupatta Malmal Ka (1989)
|Family||Father- Chandrabhan (Fruit seller)
Mother- Not Known
Brother- Kishan Kumar (Younger)
|Controversies||• On 12 August 1997, when Gulshan Kumar gave a regular visit to a Shiva Temple in Andheri, Mumbai, two men hiding in the hutment colony near the temple fired 3 bullets at Kumar who fell to the ground and tried to crawl into one of the huts and asked a woman to shut the door to keep the killers out. But the woman was late to respond as she was nervous, which gave ample amount of time for the killers to fire another 15 bullets into Kumar's body. He was immediately taken to Cooper hospital, where he was declared dead on arrival. Kumar was getting threat calls from Abu Salem since 5 August 1997, but unfortunately, he chose to ignore it.
• On 30 August 1997, music composer Nadeem Akhtar Saifee of Nadeem-Shravan duo was declared a co-conspirator in Kumar's murder. Nadeem, who allegedly hired the killers, has been in the United Kingdom ever since.
• In October 1997, Ramesh Taurani, owner of Tips cassettes, was arrested on charges of supporting the crime. Taurani allegedly paid INR 25 lakh to Kumar's killers.
• In November 1997, the police filed a 400-page charge sheet where 26 people were accused. At that time, 15 accused were arrested and one of the accused, Mohammed Ali Shaikh, turned approver in the case.
• In January 2001, Abdul Rauf, alias Dawood Merchant, one of the accused, was arrested from Kolkata.
• In April 2002, 18 of the 19 accused were released, Abdul Rauf was found guilty and sentenced to life imprisonment.
|Relationships & More|
|Marital Status (at the time of death)||Married|
|Wife/Spouse||Sudesh Kumari (m. 1975-till his death in 1997)
|Children||Son- Bhushan Kumar (Businessman)
Daughter- Tulsi Kumar (Singer), Khushali Kumar (Fashion Designer)
|Net Worth||₹350 crore|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Gulshan Kumar
- Gulshan belonged to a humble Punjabi family background as his father was a juice seller in Daryaganj, Delhi. Kumar used to help his father with the family business.
- He started his business by manufacturing audio cassettes, agarbattis, bottled water, detergents and ceiling fans. After the success of his audio cassettes business, he started his own audio cassette label called ‘Super Cassettes Industries Ltd’, which was later renamed ‘T-Series.’
- T-Series was initially opened in Delhi, but after earning profits, Kumar shifted his base to Mumbai.
- He was the one who gave big break to Nadeem-Shravan, Kumar Sanu, Anuradha Paudwal and Sonu Nigam in Bollywood films.
- In 1985, T-Series released its first Bollywood film soundtrack for the film ‘Lallu Ram.’
- He was a highly religious man and featured in various devotional song videos.
- On 12 August 1997, he was shot to death outside the Jeeteshwar Mahadev Mandir in Andheri, Mumbai.
- After his death, his son Bhushan Kumar took over the charge of T-Series at the age of 19.