|Profession(s)||Film & TV Actor, Film Director|
|Physical Stats & More|
|HIP in Pakistan Height||in centimeters- 180 cm
in meters- 1.80 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 11”
|Eye Colour||Light Brown|
|Debut||Theatre Play (Urdu; As an actor): Dally in the Dark (2006)
Documentary (Urdu; As an actor): The Glorious Resolve (2011) as Tariq
Film (Urdu; As a director): Mudhouse And The Golden Doll (2011)
TV Drama (Urdu; As an actor): Meray Dard Ko Jo Zuban Miley (2012) as Salaar/Azam
Film (Urdu; As an actor): Main Hoon Shahid Afridi (2013) as Maulvi Majeed
|Awards||ARY Film Awards
• 2014: Best Supporting Actor for Waar
• 2014: Best Star Debut Male for Main Hoon Shahid Afridi
• 2016: Best Supporting Actor for Jawani Phir Nahi Ani
Lux Style Awards
• 2015: Best TV Actor for Pyarey Afzal
• 2016: Best Dressed Male
Hum TV Awards
• 2017: Best Actor Popular for Mann Mayal
• 2017: Best Onscreen Couple for Mann Mayal
International Pakistan Prestige Awards
• 2017: Style Icon of the Year Male
|Date of Birth||23 June 1984 (Saturday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||38 Years|
|Birthplace||Multan, Punjab, Pakistan|
|Hometown||Multan, Punjab, Pakistan|
|College/University||• JCC Kansas City, KS, USA
• Quaid-e-Azam University, Islamabad, Pakistan
|Educational Qualification(s)||• Bachelor in International Relations at JCC Kansas City, KS, USA
• Post-graduation at Quaid-e-Azam University, Islamabad, Pakistan HIP in Pakistan
|Religion||Islam Galaxy Lollywood|
|Caste||In 2014, he shared a post on his Fcaebook account in which he talked about his caste. Facebook- Hamza Ali Abbasi He wrote,
"As for those who ask me if i am a Shia because i have “ALI” as my middle name? I am not a Shia…neither am i a Sunni or Brailvi or Wahabi ……..I am a Muslim…maybe not a Momin, but surely a Musalman…i believe that THERE IS NO OTHER GOD BUT ALLAH….AND MUHAMMAD (S.A.W) IS HIS LAST PROPHET AND MESSENGER….after this…..everything else is secondary and negligible……..”
|Ethnicity||Punjabi Galaxy Lollywood|
|Controversies||• Controversial Remarks on Item Songs
While he was a judge in the Pakistani reality TV show ‘Pakistan Star’ (2019), he was offended after watching the performance of a 16-year-old girl on an item song, Hamza said that the item songs were filthy, and he was embarrassed to see such a young girl dance on an item song. He said,
"The kind of songs we have, the kind of lyrics such item numbers have, I feel embarrassed that a 16-year-old is dancing to it. These kids look up to us and please let’s not have any more item songs in our films. These songs are filth. Even India is trying to get rid of it. Our whole society is ruined because of it.”
He further said,
"How can the censor board allow such filth to run in cinemas and how can PEMRA allow this to be run on channels Pakistani artists finally managed to get enough respect in the society that now young educated boys and girls from good families are coming into this field, please don’t spoil this hard earned respect by putting on a flesh show and calling it glamour. Item songs degrade women and objectify them. Which goes against the essence of Women’s Empowerment and Women’s Rights, our religion and our norms.”
He then received huge criticism for passing derogatory comments on items songs. He was even trolled by the netizens for the same. The Express Tribune
• Admired Lashkar-e-Taiba Founder on Social Media Platform
In 2017, he received huge criticism on social media for praising Hafiz Muhammad Saeed, the founder of Lashkar-e-Taiba, which is designated as a terrorist group by the United Nations Security Council. The Express Tribune
• Fight With Reham Khan
In 2018, he had a feud with Reham Khan, wife of the former Prime Minister of Pakistan Imran Khan. In a tweet, Reham Khan shared that Hamza had been threatening her since 2017, and she even accused him of having a physical relationship with her ex-husband Imran Khan. International Business Times
• Received Criticism for His Views on Islam
In 2022, Hamza talked about Islam in a long note on his social media account. In the post, he commented on the return of Hazrat Isa and Imam Mehdi as mentioned in the Quran for which he received criticism. Some netizens commented on his post that he was trying to to mould and twist the religious beliefs of people. Global Village Space
|Relationships & More|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||• Saba Qamar (actress; rumoured) Bol News
• Naimal Khawar (actress)
|Marriage Date||25 August 2019
|Marriage Place||The Monal, Islamabad, Pakistan|
|Parents||Father- Mazhar Ali Abbasi (Retired Major from Pakistan Army)
Mother- Begum Nasim Akhtar Chaudhry (politician; associated with the Pakistan Peoples Party)
Sister- Fazeela Abbasi (dermatologist)
|Film||Forrest Gump (1994)|
|Mobile App||Google Maps|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Hamza Ali Abbasi
- Hamza Ali Abbasi is a Pakistani film & TV actor and film director. He has acted in popular Pakistani dramas such as ‘Pyarey Afzal’ (2013) and ‘Mann Mayal’ (2016).
- While studying in school, he was not very fluent in speaking English.
- When he was studying in class 5, he received the first award of his life; he won the award in an Urdu debate competition.
- In his teens, his voice was very girly, and after his tonsils were removed the pitch of his voice changed.
- During an interview, Hamza shared that he wanted to become a chef. However, after completing his post-graduation, he appeared for Central Superior Services Exam and got selected. In an interview, while talking about joining the Pakistani Police, he said,
To be honest, I wanted to become a chef. I have a passion for cooking; it’s one of my stress-relieving activities. After completing my studies I joined the Police, but it was a very predictable future. I knew exactly where I would be in 20 years; I knew the maximum I could do was become an IG. There would be nowhere else to go from there. My father taught me that whatever you enjoy, you should try to make a living out of that, then life becomes much easier. So I left the force to do what I wanted to do.”
He further said that his mother did not like his decision of quitting his job for making a career in acting. He said,
My mum, meanwhile, is from a political background, and she’s very against me being in show business. She wanted me to be in the Police; she said, Just join and then if you want you can leave. She occasionally watches my television dramas, and then she despairs about what I’m doing with my life.”
- Hamza started his acting career as a theatre artist. He has performed in various Urdu plays like ‘Home is Where Your Clothes Are’ (2007), ‘Phantom of the Opera’ (2008), ‘Tom, Dick and Harry’ (2009), ‘Moulin Rouge’ (2010), and ‘Bombay Dreams’ (2011). In an interview, he shared how he developed an interest in acting. He said,
Theatre is my first love. It started out as a hobby; I was doing my Masters when I met Shah Sharabeel. We became friends, he said, “Why don’t you do a play?” So it started out as a part-time hobby and then I became passionate about it. I think theatre helped me realize how much I enjoyed acting.”
- In 2013, he acted in Urdu telefilms such as ‘Ek Tha Raja Aur Ek Thi Rani’ and ‘Gullo Weds Gogi.’
- Hamza is a supporter of the 22nd Prime Minister of Pakistan Imran Khan. In 2014, he joined Imran Khan’s party Tehreek-e-Insaf.
He was appointed as the secretary of culture for the party in Karachi on 23 January 2015. However, within four months, he resigned from the post. In one of his Facebook posts, he talked about it. He said,
The explanation I owe to my friends who have supported me so passionately. This is regarding the new film I have done. Even though it’s a brilliantly written and directed film, I disagree with certain elements in its execution which I regard as not in line with our culture. My motivation to do this film was never money. I refused 2 Indian films, Baby and a film by Sajid Nadiadwala because they were against our ethics. I did this film for my friends who were there for me when I was nothing. So after initial refusals, I agreed to do it as my friends needed me on this. Regardless of my reasons, I did something against what I preach and I own it. I will not try to get away with it by staying silent or defending it senselessly. I vow never to do anything against my beliefs NO MATTER WHAT. Since I failed to act on my own beliefs, I deem I am no more eligible to represent Pakistani culture in a political party and hence, I am resigning as Sec. Culture PTI.”
- Hamza has hosted a few awards shows like ‘1st ARY Film Awards’ (2014), ‘3rd Hum Awards’ (2015), and ‘4th Hum Awards’ (2016).
- In 2016 and 2017, he was appointed as the brand ambassador of Peshawar Zalmi, a Pakistani franchise T20 cricket team.
- In 2018, he worked as a host on BOL Network’s show ‘Debate Headquarters.’
- In 2019, he appeared as a judge in the Pakistani reality TV show ‘Pakistan Star.’ The show was aired on BOL Network.
- Hamza has acted in many Urdu films including ‘Waar’ (2013), ‘Jawani Phir Nahi Ani’ (2015), ‘Ho Mann Jahaan’ (2016), ‘Parwaaz Hay Junoon’ (2018), and ‘The Legend of Maula Jatt’ (2022).
- In 2019, he shared a video on Twitter in which he announced that he would quit showbiz. Earlier, in one of his tweets, he wrote,
A journey of more than a decade comes to an end. I have a very important announcement to make at the end of this month. Will hope my voice reaches many. Will be off social media till the end of October.”
I haven’t quit acting because I don’t see it anywhere in Islam as being haraam in itself. I just took a long break from acting to give more time to religion.”
- In 2009, he started a self-titled YouTube channel on which he once uploaded a video sharing his journey from being an atheist to following Islam. He said,
I had this divine intervention some time back, that all that I am doing in this world will end the moment I die. All these trophies, all these accolades will not bring me any good on the Day of Judgment when I meet my Maker. I have decided that I want to leave everything that might be a hurdle when it comes to making my matters easier on the Day of Judgment.”
He further said,
I thought about it and it came to my understanding that there has to be a Divine power that is controlling all of this. That’s how I started reading and then came back to Islam. I found out that there is so much that has to be understood. My perspective of life has been changed since I realised that I have to meet my God. With this realisation, what I decided to do is that I now wish to talk to people. I wish to spread the message.”
- In an interview, he shared that he loved playing the guitar, and he had learned to play it by watching tutorial videos on YouTube.
- He loves motorcycles and has a good collection of them. In an interview, he shared that to accumulate funds for his first directorial film, he sold one of his expensive motorcycles. The Express Tribune
- Hamza has often received criticism for his tweets. He once made insensitive tweets on the demise of Kulsoom Nawaz, the wife of the former Prime Minister of Pakistan Nawaz Sharif. Images Dawn His tweet on the #MeToo campaign also received criticism from the audience. He tweeted,
With this entire #MeToo global epidemic on the rise, I am beginning to realise that Islam was right all along when it ordained gap between the two genders. So called modernism has brought us to a point where the line between flirting and harassment is insanely blurred.”
- Hamza has appeared in TV commercials for brands like Lipton Tea, Tulsi Mouthfreshner, McDonald’s, and Zong Mobile.
- He has been featured on various magazine covers such as Diva, G.L.A.M, and Hello!
- He loves to watch the History TV channel and Iranian films in his leisure time.
- He is often spotted smoking cigarettes.