Wife: Anaita Shroff Adajania
Age: 51 Years
• Screenplay writer
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 180 cm
in meters- 1.80 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 11”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 60 kg
in pounds- 132 lbs
|Debut||Film: Being Cyrus (2005) as director
Short Film: My Choice (2015) as producer
TV Series: 'Saas, Bahu Aur Flamingo' (2023) on Hotstar
|Awards & Achievements||• Won the Silver Hanoman Award at Jogja-NETPAC Asian Film Festival for the film 'Being Cyrus' in 2006
• Nominated for the 'Best Director' award at the Apsara Awards for the film 'Cocktail' in 2013
• Nominated for the 'Best Film' and 'Best Film Director' award for the film 'Angrezi Medium' in 2021
|Date of Birth||Year, 1972|
|Age (as of 2023)||51 Years|
|College/University||St Xavier's College, Mumbai|
|Hobby||Travelling, Reading Books|
|Tattoo||Whale tattoo on his right bicep
|Controversy||Alleged of conveying a wrong message through his film: In 2015, the film critics alleged Homi Adajania of conveying wrong messages to the audience through his short film ‘My Choice’ which highlights the theme of woman empowerment. The film was considered ‘sexist or male-bashing’ by the critics for its dialogue “It is my choice to marry or not to marry… It is my choice to have sex before marriage or have sex outside the marriage…” However, Adajania later claimed that his intentions were not to hurt people’s perception, he rather wanted to make women aware of the right to freedom of choice. According to him, the audience misunderstood his film though it later proved beneficial as the misunderstanding of the film made it viral on the internet. In an interview, he talked about this and said,
"Ironically, the misunderstanding is what made #MyChoice go explosively viral and if that’s what it takes to get people discussing gender equality then I am willing to take the hit and be misunderstood. More power to women and let’s hope that a healthy discussion on gender equality continues.”
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||Year, 2002|
|Wife/Spouse||Anaita Shroff Adajania
• Zane Adajania
• Zreh Adajania
|Parents||Father- Aspy Adajania (Indian Army officer; died in 1994)
Mother- Persis Adajania
Sister- Zia Diwan Adajania (died in 2014)
|Other Relatives||Scherezade Shroff (sister-in-law)
Vikas Talwar (brother-in-law; Scherezade Shroff's husband)
|Author||Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Isabel Allende and Albert Camus|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Homi Adajania
- Homi Adajania is an Indian film director and writer. He is known for directing the Bollywood film ‘Cocktail’ (2012). In 2023, he directed and created the TV series ‘Saas, Bahu Aur Flamingo,’ which premiered on Disney+ Hotstar.
- His father, Aspy Adajania, was an Indian Army officer and has also been the president of the Indian Amateur Boxing Federation.
- After completing his graduation from St Xavier’s College, he started working with an ad filmmaker named Mahesh Mathai.
- Homi took over his family business of running a petrol pump in the red light area in Mumbai after the death of his father in 1994. At that time, he was 23 years old and found it difficult to manage the business in the area of hookers, mafia, and cops. In an interview, he recalled one of the horrible incidents he face while working there. He said,
It was horribly non-creative and dangerous. I remember how once my manager was mugged and his fingers chopped off in front of me while he was carrying cash to the bank.”
- In an interview, he revealed that the people and incident in the red-light area affected him so much he decided to travel to overcome the fear that has developed in his mind after working there for almost one year. He further revealed that he travelled for almost 10 years, and during that time he did various odd jobs such as babysitting, sofa washing, and house painting to meet his travelling expenses.
- Before stepping into the film industry, he worked as a freelance writer.
- In 2001, he appeared in a video song for the Indian English language film ‘Everybody Says I’m Fine!’
- His directorial debut film, ‘Being Cyrus’ (2005) was shot at his own bungalow in Panchgani, Maharashtra. He later sold this bungalow to Amir Khan.
- After making his debut as a director with the Indian English-language film ‘Being Cyrus’ (2005), he directed the Hindi film ‘Cocktail’ (2012).
- In 2014, he directed the film ‘Finding Fanny’ which was released in Hindi and English language. He was also the screenplay writer of the film.
- The director was caught in a controversy after he was spotted by paparazzi kissing Deepika Padukone at a party in 2014. According to the paparazzi, Adajania was drunk and was trying to kiss the actress forcefully.
- In 2015, he directed and produced the short film ‘My Choice’ (2015) featuring Deepika Padukone and 98 other women. The short film was a part of Vogue’s women empowerment campaign.
- After making his debut as a producer with the short film ‘My Choice,’ he produced the Bollywood film ‘Raabta’ (2017).
- In 2019, he wrote the story for the Hindi comedy-drama film ‘The Fakir of Venice’ starring Farhan Akhtar.
- In 2020, he directed the film ‘Angrezi Medium,’ which was a sequel to the 2017 film ‘Hindi Medium.’
- He has been a state-level rugby player and has played various rugby matches as a winger for the Mumbai rugby team ‘Bombay Gymkhana.’
- Apart from being a director, he is also a certified CMAS (Confédération Mondiale des Activités Subaquatiques) scuba diving instructor and has worked in the Lakshadweep Islands for eight years.
- The famous Bollywood film director Dinesh Vijan is Homi’s best friend.