|Profession(s)||Actress, Model & Singer|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height Vogue India||in centimeters- 175 cm
in meters- 1.75 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 9”
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Hair Colour||Black (dyed red, golden blonde & brown)|
|Debut||Bollywood: Rockstar (2011) as 'Heer Kaul'
Hollywood: Spy (2015) as 'Lia'
Singing: "Habitaan Vigaad Di" (single; 2017)
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• 2012: IIFA Awards - Hottest Pair (shared with Ranbir Kapoor) for the film "Rockstar"
• 2015: Life OK NOW Awards - Best Supporting Actor-Female for the film "Main Tera Hero"
• 2015: Bollywood Life Awards - Most Motivational Celeb on Social Media for the film "Main Tera Hero"
• 2015: Filmfare Glamour and Style Awards - Ciroc Not The Usual Award for the film "Main Tera Hero"
|Date of Birth||20 October 1979 (Saturday)|
|Age (as in 2019)||40 Years|
|Birthplace||Queens, New York City, US|
|Hometown||Queens, New York City, US|
|College/University||Queens College, City University of New York|
|Educational Qualification||BA with a Major in Fine Arts and Minor in Psychology from Queens College, City University of New York|
|Religion||She does not follow any religion but considers herself a spiritual person. DNA India|
|Ethnicity||Pakistani-Czech The Statesman|
|Food Habit||Non-Vegetarian Indian Express|
|Hobbies||Gardening, Travelling & Yoga|
|Tattoo||Queen Crown with initials of her boyfriend, Matt Alonzo's and her name on her hand.
|Controversies||• In 2019, a report circulated on media that Nargis abandoned the promotions of the film "Amavas" (2019) mid-way and left the country. Reportedly, she was outraged by media's questions on her personal life (break up with Matt Alonzo and Uday Chopra). Clearing her stance in the controversy, Nargis said, India Today
"The entire experience promoting this film, albeit brief, has been extremely taxing because of their (producer Sachin Joshi and the film's team) total lack of communication and planning. They were given seven days for promotions by my team well in time which they used. So I don't know where this debate about my leaving early etc comes in. To be honest, I wasn't informed about the film's release being pushed nor was I updated on their promotional plans and activities. Despite that, I ensured I was present and promoting the film within the mutually agreed upon time. And now, seeing them release statements like that about my professional commitment is something that is extremely disheartening and unacceptable when it's the film team who haven't held up their end of the bargain."
• In 2015, a leading Pakistani newspaper, Jang, published an advertisement of Nargis for Pakistani mobile carrier, Mobilink. Following this, Pakistanis showed their resentment on social media, where they called the advertisement cheap and absurd. Many people including journalists, condemned the obscenity of the advertisement that showed Nargis in a red dress, lying down with a phone in her hand. India TV News
• In 2014, it was reported that she was honoured with the Gaurd of Honour by the Special Tiger Protection Force (STPF) for her campaign for endangered tigers. However, this made wildlife conservationists furious, as the award was meant to be given out to only ministers or high ranking officers. The Deccan Chronicle
|Relationships & More|
|Affairs/Boyfriends||• Ranbir Kapoor (Rumoured)
• Uday Chopra (2014-17)
• Matt Alonzo (2018-19)
|Parents||Father- Mohammed Fakhri
Mother- Marie Fakhri (Former Mechanical Engineer & Drafter)
|Food||Butter Chicken, Dal Gosht, Tacos, Pizza, Churros, Tom yum Soup, Paella, Pad thai, Zucchini Pasta with Avocado cream sauce|
|Dessert||Gajar Ka Halwa, Chocolate chip ice-cream, Red velvet cake, Gulab Jamun, Kheer, Bengali Sweets|
|Actor||Aamir Khan, Shah Rukh Khan|
|Film(s)||The Chronicles of Narnia Series, Beauty and the Beast (1991), Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (1994)|
|Rap Artist||Snoop Dogg|
|Song||'Nobody Knows The Troubles I’ve Seen' by Louis Armstrong|
|Musician||A. R. Rahman|
|Restaurant(s)||Olive in Mumbai, JW Marriott in Juhu, Wasabi at The Taj Mahal Palace in Mumbai, Blue Jade at Ritz Carlton in Dubai|
|Travel Destination(s)||Greece, New Zealand, Costa Rica, Denmark|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Nargis Fakhri
- Nargis Fakhri is an Indian actress and model who works in Bollywood and Hollywood.
- Nargis was born to Mohammed Fakhri, a Pakistani, and Marie Fakhri, a Czech.
- Due to her Pakistani-Czech ethnicity and American citizenship, she identifies herself as a global citizen. The Statesman
- Her mother was born in the former Czechoslovakia. Her mother wished to travel across the world, so, she left her country and moved to New York City and started living in a refugee camp. In New York, her mother’s professional credentials were not accepted. Therefore, she made her living by working a cleaner as a restaurant.
- While working at the restaurant, her mother met her father and they both got married. Unfortunately, things did not work out well between her parents, and they got separated. Her mother was left with two daughters to raise. In the daytime, her mother used to go to school to learn language, in the night, she worked and took care of her two daughters.
- Her family was very poor, and she grew up in Projects in Queens. When she was 12 years old, her mother put Nargis and her sister in a summer camp, meant for the children of low-income families. Reminiscing about the time, she said,
It was in upstate New York where we had to live in tents, fetch water, cook our meals, and even dig our own toilet bowls. At the end of our 14-day camp, a bear came and broke our tents and pooped all over it. So we had to travel to a new spot and sleep in sleeping bags. I’m really grateful for those experiences because I met a lot of amazing adults.”
- Later, she started to work for a living and started doing odd jobs like shovelling snow, cleaning an old lady’s house, collecting bottles, and even bagging groceries.
- She funded her own education and did her BA with a Major in Fine Arts and Minor in Psychology. At first, she wanted to become a teacher or do art therapy. However, due to her wish to travel around the world, she chose modelling as her career.
- At the age of 16, she began her career as a model.
- In 2004, she auditioned for second and third cycles (season) of the American reality show, America’s Next Top Model, where she managed to get through the first two challenges of both the cycles, but couldn’t make it to the top twelve in the third challenge.
- In due course, she modelled professionally in America and worked for a freelance agency and appeared on fashion shows.
- During her career as a model, she lived in Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Thailand, Hong Kong, Germany, the UK, Greece, Costa Rica, Cape Town, and Denmark.
- She came into the spotlight after she appeared in the Indian print campaign for the 2009 Kingfisher Calendar.
- Her appearance on the Kingfisher Calendar drew the attention of Imtiaz Ali towards her. In early 2010, she was living in Copenhagen with her boyfriend, when she received an email from director Imtiaz Ali‘s assistant Sunaina for the female lead auditions for Ranbir Kapoor starer ‘Rockstar’ (2011). She was selected for the film and was given only two months of time to learn acting, Hindi language, and about the culture of India.
- She made her debut with the film, Rockstar (2011), which is also the first Indian film that showed a Kashmiri Indian wedding. Nargis won Filmfare nomination for Best Female Debut for the film.
- Due to her poor diction in Hindi, her voice in the film was dubbed by the Indian voice-over artist and singer, Mona Ghosh Shetty.
- In 2012, Nargis decided to move to India. Talking about her experience in India, she said,
When I first arrived, there were a lot of things that reminded me of my Dad, certain smells, the food, the colours and even the clothes, but it was a culture-shock for sure. My father did not raise me, so I was extremely American and unaware of how things were in India. It took me a long time to adjust and digest the changes, but that is the beauty of it all. I am totally OK now and I call Mumbai home”
- After moving to India, she spent her time learning Kathak and Bollywood dance, and Hindi language.
- She has received laurels for her role in the films, Madras Cafe (2013), Main Tera Hero (2014), Azhar (2016), Amavas (2019), and more.
- In 2017, she made her singing debut with the single “Habitaan Vigaad Di,” which featured Indo-Canadian singer Parichay and Canadian rapper Kardinal Offishall.
- In 2018, she acted in her second Hollywood film “5 Weddings” opposite Rajkummar Rao, and she portrayed the role of ‘Shania Dhaliwal.’
- In 2017, she released her second single “Woofer” featuring Snoop Dogg, Dr Zeus, and Zora Randhawa. Talking about her experience on working with the famous American rapper Snoop Dogg, Nargis said,
I really enjoyed working with Dr. Zeus and Zora and the entire BeingU team. This was a really awesome experience. For me, I grew up listening to Snoop Dogg so when this came my way, I was completely thrilled to give it a shot and sing with someone as iconic as him.”
- Talking about her professional life and friends, she said,
Bollywood is a part of the larger journey — I don’t spend a lot of time here and hardly have more than two friends. My real friends are in the US, Europe, Dubai, and Thailand
- She has gone under the knife to enhance her facial features. Talking about it, she said,
I accept ladies need to feel and look delightful at any age. Along these lines, I don’t believe there’s anything the issue with picking surgeries or different medications. Each vehicle needs upkeep and I’m not against up keeping.”
- In 2019, she shared her inspiring story of losing 179 lbs (81.2 kg) to 152 lbs (69 kg) in just six months, on her Instagram account, through her workout videos from the gym. One of her Instagram posts read,
Nothing in life comes easy. We all have to work for it. The key is being consistent. Have discipline and the ability to stay focused and you can reach any goal. I was 179 lbs but today i am 152lbs. It’s taken about 6 months or more to lose that weight the right way! But I’m doing it. I’m on my way to a fitter me!
- She is a member of the Board of Advisors for the ‘MindShare Ventures Group,’ a New York City-based company that deals with fashion, technology, healthcare, real estate, and entertainment.
- She loves animals and also has a pet dog.
References/Sources: [ + ]